A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: JVP123's Perfect Pizza Quest  (Read 72971 times)

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
Re: JVP123's Perfect Pizza Quest
« Reply #600 on: December 16, 2018, 10:51:08 PM »
Your pizzas look terrific.  I would love to make them like that! 

Regarding parbaking the NY pizzas - my suggestion is to make the pizzas in advance. Nothing wrong with a reheated slice - just like the joints in NY.   It would taste great and reduce your stress during the party.

I agree.

However, there's a fine line in terms of quality when it comes to reheated slices, imo. Wait too long and they dry out during baking, and turn into a cracker.

For me personally, that fine line is three hours of holding time, at the most. It helps if you wrap them in plastic wrap until bake time, after they've cooled down.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #601 on: December 16, 2018, 11:03:00 PM »
Jeff, when I have had to prep several to be served at nearly the same time here is what has worked for me.

We have 2 ovens but I only had one set up with stone and temp where I want it. The second oven, in fact, is limited to 500į That one becomes the re-warm oven. Bake time to fully done was 5 1/2 - 6 min for this group of pizzas. I think I made and served 8 last time I did this but it could have been 7. I made and baked each pizza to one minute less than fully done (the point at which I would have pulled and served it if that was the only pkzza for the night). I did this for each pizza, sliding each one onto a cooling rack on our back counter as they came out. We do not have 8 cooling racks. They can be crowded to fit 3 uncut pizzas on 2 racks and I had a couple extra oven racks, pulled before preheating, turned upside down and use as cooling racks. Itís not so muvh that I wanted to cool them down, I did not want the bottom crusts getting soft by storing/cooling them on pans. I think I had the second oven at 400į and turned the first oven down once the last pizza was baked. Then itís just a matter of giving each one a couple minutes in on oven or the other to re-warm. I can get 3 racks in evh oven so 6 are ready more or less at yhe same time and the other 2 were able to reheat while citting the other 6 pizzas. Moving them around is easy as they handle well as uncut partially cooled and set up pizzas.

It was more complicated to describe here than it is to do. Youíll be fine. As far as how far ahead you can bake or parbake and the refrigerator quesion. No, you do not need to regrigerate, but you also do not need as much advance time as you may have thought. Iím pretty sure the food safety rules say no more than 4 hours where the temperature of perishable food is above 40į and below 140į - the infamous danger zone. Much less time in that range would be much better. Good luck with your sonís party. He will be pleased and proud his dad has pulled this off in front of his friends.

-Tony

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #602 on: December 17, 2018, 11:20:03 AM »
I agree.

However, there's a fine line in terms of quality when it comes to reheated slices, imo. Wait too long and they dry out during baking, and turn into a cracker.

For me personally, that fine line is three hours of holding time, at the most. It helps if you wrap them in plastic wrap until bake time, after they've cooled down.

Thanks, Mike!  Plastic wrap makes sense to prevent drying out.  I am going to try to make them within an hour or two of bake time.   
Jeff

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
« Reply #603 on: December 17, 2018, 11:41:55 AM »
Jeff, when I have had to prep several to be served at nearly the same time here is what has worked for me.

We have 2 ovens but I only had one set up with stone and temp where I want it. The second oven, in fact, is limited to 500į That one becomes the re-warm oven. Bake time to fully done was 5 1/2 - 6 min for this group of pizzas. I think I made and served 8 last time I did this but it could have been 7. I made and baked each pizza to one minute less than fully done (the point at which I would have pulled and served it if that was the only pkzza for the night). I did this for each pizza, sliding each one onto a cooling rack on our back counter as they came out. We do not have 8 cooling racks. They can be crowded to fit 3 uncut pizzas on 2 racks and I had a couple extra oven racks, pulled before preheating, turned upside down and use as cooling racks. Itís not so muvh that I wanted to cool them down, I did not want the bottom crusts getting soft by storing/cooling them on pans. I think I had the second oven at 400į and turned the first oven down once the last pizza was baked. Then itís just a matter of giving each one a couple minutes in on oven or the other to re-warm. I can get 3 racks in evh oven so 6 are ready more or less at yhe same time and the other 2 were able to reheat while citting the other 6 pizzas. Moving them around is easy as they handle well as uncut partially cooled and set up pizzas.

It was more complicated to describe here than it is to do. Youíll be fine. As far as how far ahead you can bake or parbake and the refrigerator quesion. No, you do not need to regrigerate, but you also do not need as much advance time as you may have thought. Iím pretty sure the food safety rules say no more than 4 hours where the temperature of perishable food is above 40į and below 140į - the infamous danger zone. Much less time in that range would be much better. Good luck with your sonís party. He will be pleased and proud his dad has pulled this off in front of his friends.

Thanks, Tony and much appreciate your insight.  Definitely agree on the cooling racks to avoid softness.  When you put the pies back in the oven for the final reheat were you placing them directly on the oven racks?

I have a double oven too so I could use both or ....  since I am only making 4 extra pies besides the squares (which will already have been served) I was thinking I could put a second thin cheap stone I have on a lower rack in the same main oven.  Should be pretty quick at that point since the pies are essentially already done. 

Jeff

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #604 on: December 17, 2018, 01:59:26 PM »
Jeff, I keep one stone high in the reheat oven. As mich as anything itís to keep anything from falling off the bottom of the pizza above onto the top of one below. I give them a quick look on the way back into the oven. If one Crust is a litte pale it goes on the stone. Most I put directly on a rack ,though, and would be content if they all had to be done that way.

Your method with 2 stones in the bake oven should shorten things up quite a bit. You may have to rotate pizzas or just leave one in longer depending on how they bake. Have fun.
-Tony

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
« Reply #605 on: April 03, 2019, 12:02:29 AM »
Cheese pie from tonight.  16" 2 day CF. 20 Poolish. 63.5H. 1 EVOO. 2 Salt.  .20LDM. 580F 6 mins.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 01:03:52 AM by jvp123 »
Jeff

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #606 on: April 03, 2019, 12:47:25 AM »
Cheese pie from tonight.  16" 2 day CF. 20 Poolish. 63.5H. 1 EVOO. 2 Salt.  .20LDM. 680F 6 mins.

PERFECT as always Jeff!!! :chef: :chef:
Bob

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
« Reply #607 on: April 03, 2019, 01:05:05 AM »
PERFECT as always Jeff!!! :chef: :chef:

Thx CB!  Noticed I had written 680F. That wouldíve been a stretch in my home oven.  :-D
Jeff

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #608 on: April 03, 2019, 01:25:42 AM »
That's a standout pizza.  Looks perfect.

Rolls
"There's nothing wrong with having a tree as a friend."  -Bob Ross

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #609 on: April 03, 2019, 09:39:27 AM »
 ^^^   Great to see your work again Jeff! That's a delicious looking pizza!

Offline PizzaJerk

• May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.
« Reply #610 on: April 03, 2019, 02:02:31 PM »
Wow!

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
« Reply #611 on: April 03, 2019, 07:29:57 PM »
That's a standout pizza.  Looks perfect.

Rolls

Thanks Rolls!  :)
Jeff

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
« Reply #612 on: April 03, 2019, 07:31:01 PM »
^^^   Great to see your work again Jeff! That's a delicious looking pizza!

Thanks Bill!  Pizza Tour looked fun!
Jeff

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
« Reply #613 on: April 03, 2019, 07:31:25 PM »
Jeff

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #614 on: April 03, 2019, 08:16:37 PM »
Cheese pie from tonight.  16" 2 day CF. 20 Poolish. 63.5H. 1 EVOO. 2 Salt.  .20LDM. 580F 6 mins.

:drool: that's an awesome looking pie Jeff!

Did you bake that on stone or steel?
the proof is in the pizza

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #615 on: April 03, 2019, 09:51:07 PM »
Very nice! Reminds me of a Beddia pie...
Hans

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
« Reply #616 on: April 03, 2019, 11:14:50 PM »
:drool: that's an awesome looking pie Jeff!

Did you bake that on stone or steel?

Thanks, Ryan!  :)  This was convection baked on a 1/2" stone on the top rack.   
Jeff

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
« Reply #617 on: April 03, 2019, 11:24:25 PM »
Very nice! Reminds me of a Beddia pie...

Thanks Hans - yeah I see what you are seeing.  I wasn't going for that, but I do like more rustic pizza so that's cool.  I really like what coal ovens due to pizza (not that Beddia does that) ... I just gotta figure out how to get one of those in my kitchen!  :-D
Jeff

Offline Satyen

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #618 on: April 04, 2019, 12:55:02 AM »
Oooh. Killer pie!!

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
« Reply #619 on: April 04, 2019, 03:19:34 PM »
Oooh. Killer pie!!