A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My fellow reballers!  (Read 76959 times)

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • A sour dough makes a happy me
Re: My fellow reballers!
« Reply #620 on: January 27, 2019, 04:21:56 PM »
What temperature are you fermenting at? I have a feeling my doughs will just stick to the entire bag have have to be peeled off it, at least based on how my doughs look and feel after 36 hours in plastic containers. I see that the oil might make the dough slightly slippery and possibly make it stick together less, but with the small amounts of oil I don't know. I'll try it both ways and see how it work. Since you pretty much flatten the dough after removing it from the container, it sticking to the bottom might not be much of a problem.

Got a single ball in the cooler that I will try this on tonight. Then onto wood and 12-16 hours until bake.
-Heine. Mostly Neapolitan sourdough pizzas in an electric Effeuno P134H.

Online Irishboy

• Always do it with passion
« Reply #621 on: January 27, 2019, 04:43:42 PM »
What temperature are you fermenting at? I have a feeling my doughs will just stick to the entire bag have have to be peeled off it, at least based on how my doughs look and feel after 36 hours in plastic containers. I see that the oil might make the dough slightly slippery and possibly make it stick together less, but with the small amounts of oil I don't know. I'll try it both ways and see how it work. Since you pretty much flatten the dough after removing it from the container, it sticking to the bottom might not be much of a problem.

Got a single ball in the cooler that I will try this on tonight. Then onto wood and 12-16 hours until bake.

I do I finished dough temperature of 70 degreest my refrigerator runs at 43 degrees Fahrenheit

I am not careful whatsoever when removing the bulk dough like you said I am flattening it out and already messing with it 2 ball it anyways, I doubt such small amounts of oil will be tremendous but it has not been a problem with not using any for me especially with the bags it just falls out pretty clean. There's always so many different variables it's hard to say my message to be absolutely horrible experience for you I'm not sure?

I've tried every way to the Moon and this is one that's been working pretty good for me I'm actually trying a new experiment right now letting my doug warm up at room temperature before baking but I am letting one of them warm up on top of a wood cutting board to see how much it cuts down on the bench flour
Josh

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #622 on: January 27, 2019, 05:21:14 PM »
Letting it ferment the last part on wood was a big change for me. Reduces the need for bench flour to almost nothing. I still get a sticky top, but hope that too will improve once I get entirely wooden boxes rather than a glass or plastic container upside-down over wood.

I also find the doughs easier to work with when they are 15C rather than 22-25C (RT).

The folding turned out well. The dough was malleable and not too sticky. I don't know which side of the original ball ended up facing down. I wasn't quite sure if I got the last part all right, when balling it. It was somewhat taut by then so I didn't tighten it up more and end up pulling all sides to the middle like before. I made it into a ball, cupped a hakd over and rolled it around a bit and pinched the sides which had visible layers to get it somewhat even. These sides ended up as 3/4 "sides" (it's round, but you get it) and the part facing down was the side facing down after the final fold.

I took some pictures too. Will report back tomorrow.

Btw. Has anyone tried doing more of these folds during fermentation? At 8-12 hour intervals for instance.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 06:02:12 PM by Heikjo »

Online Irishboy

« Reply #623 on: January 27, 2019, 06:37:12 PM »
I have not tried doing it later on. One trick I used to always tell what is the top I sprinkle a little bit of black pepper on the very top makes it very easy to recognize.

I am happy to hear that it worked out good for you I think after some more experience from more people it could be a really fantastic option, I'm sure there are many improvements that could be made with this method
Josh

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #624 on: January 30, 2019, 03:26:16 PM »
Tried this twice now. Can't say for sure what effect it gave actually. The last one today needed quite some work to open, so I wonder if the folding made it too tight. I've reballed after 31 hours with 15-16 hours left. Thought it should give the ball enough time to relax, but apparently not. My balls has been a bit tight lately, so it might not be solely because of the folding.

Online Irishboy

« Reply #625 on: January 30, 2019, 09:35:26 PM »
Try around 24hrs cf or 4hrs room temperature warming dough up. You time is a bit short imo, if less time I would eith fold less. Or just regular ball

How was the evenness and did you have any thin spots? I haven't had any issues since doing this serious about your experience
Josh

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #626 on: January 31, 2019, 02:25:43 AM »
I think it was too little time, yeah. It was based off the usually 12 hours I reball with the technique where I just tighten up the ball, but it becomes tighter with the folding and needs more time after to relax I suppose. My dough is never in the fridge, so it would have to be RT. I also wondered on the last attempt if I should let the dough warm up a little from 15C/59F before baking too. Maybe up to 20C/68F

I thought it was more even and looked bettwr, but since the dough was pretty taut I had to use some effort and might not have opened it as well as I'd liked. I also find that a taut dough often ends up with too much dough on and around the cornicione which I struggle to open. But that's just my hands that needs more experience, and a more relaxed dough.

Next time I try, maybe fold it after 24 hours, move to wood sometime later and let it warm up a little before opening.

Would be nice having a way to photograph it if I'm alone, bur I only got rwo hands. Thought about holding it up to some light.

Online Irishboy

« Reply #627 on: January 31, 2019, 11:33:46 AM »
I would at least give one dough ball a little more time or maybe a higher temperature like you said he just have to play around with it.

As far as the extra dough on the crust I have found opening the door about 80% then once it's on the peel topped I stretched the edges 2 full size.
I am one that does not like a big crust and rather have more toppings covering the pizza but that's just my style
Josh

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #628 on: January 31, 2019, 12:13:31 PM »
I don't want a very thick, "meaty" crust, but one with layers of dough with a lot of air in it that is light and delicate. The absolute size isn't too important, but to get space for some webby dough and air it needs some space. Not getting that right now, but there may be multiple reasons for it.

Got three balls soon halfways in the fermentation. Maybe I'll fold and reball one of them when there's 24 hours left and see what happens.

Online Irishboy

« Reply #629 on: January 31, 2019, 12:15:51 PM »
I would just do one for experimental to see if it helps you achieve what you're looking for?

This is pretty much how my crust turns out to give you an idea even though there could be many many variables
Josh

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #630 on: January 31, 2019, 12:50:46 PM »
Lovely, that's more the style I'm looking for. I didn't intend to try the folding primarily for the crust, but the thin and uneven bottoms. Of course better crust development is a potential bonus.

Online Irishboy

« Reply #631 on: February 02, 2019, 09:46:06 PM »
Something really interesting I found out one of the dough balls I made 48 hours prior the other I rebelled this morning 8 hours before the bake, the one eight hours before was very hard to open had a lot of strength I thought for sure it was going to be very chewy but actually it was the better Pizza very light and Airy and a lot more tender compared to the 48-hour dough ball.Definitely like the later balling

Check out my thread for pics.
Josh

Offline novusogden

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #632 on: April 02, 2019, 02:08:28 PM »
Does anyone use All Trump's with this technique? I've found the dough to be very hard to open. I've done different hydrations and different work flows after balling to see if I could get it to relax more. The most extreme was a 65HR that was bulk fermented for 3 days and then balled, back into the fridge for another two days and taken out 12 hours pre bake, but man, it still had snap back.

I've done the technique with KA bread flour and it was one of the best pizzas I've ever made. I'm only asking about All Trumps because I have like 25 lbs of flour to go through...

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #633 on: April 03, 2019, 11:11:13 AM »
If you go back in the thread, pretty sure I did us AT, and I'm almost certain that's all John Fazzari was using at the time he popularized the technique. It  shouldn't be hard to open..if it keeps happening, maybe Dough Doc Tom could help troubleshoot it.

Offline novusogden

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #634 on: April 04, 2019, 05:49:34 PM »
oh really? let me double check the thread again. Last night, I made some pizza using the late balling technique and made with bread flour and it turned out pretty great. So the only variable I can think of is the flour...

Offline novusogden

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #635 on: April 04, 2019, 06:09:55 PM »
you're right he sure is using AT

wordpress