A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Gustavsen wood grill (ved grill)  (Read 100768 times)

Offline spacetrucker

• Don't count every day... make every day count!!
Re: Gustavsen wood grill (ved grill)
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 07:25:32 AM »
what traeger do you have that hits 600 degrees,  I had a lil tex and I was lucky if it hit 450.   
this is what I am talking about by using the correct pellets, the composition makes a big difference in performance. I had one manufacturer (who shall remain nameless) whose pellets barely made the as you say 400 degree mark, and another who hits and as I believe with proper ignition could exceed the 600 degree mark, but only time and research and development could tell....
I have the traeger 009 texas style offset several years old and slightly modified with a digital thermostat and custom electronics. It is firebrick lined to help the stability in temperature as the mass gets hot, the traeger really is a fuel hog at about 3 pounds of pellets per hour vs my other smoker at 1.1 lbs per hour so as you can see even the amateur cooking world can be complex in todays society

An oven, smoker, multi-purpose cooker is not a WFO. Only a WFO is a WFO, and a fire rolling over the top of the dome is more than aesthetics, it's an integral element  of the baking process.
Txcraig, you may be correct not sure on the cooking process yet, still learning there, however I would buy a device that could do multiple things well, and none perfectly, if you get my meaning. One screwdriver fits many different screws as so to speak sometimes they get you out of a jam and sometimes they make things a lot worse. My thought is I'm just(barely) a backyard cook, not a professional; so middle of the road is good enough for me with out spending a fortune, there are pellet cookers out there that will grill a steak at high temp, smoke a brisket and maybe someday if the right minds are stimulated cook a pizza
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 07:38:48 AM by spacetrucker »

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
  • Vendor
    • Willard Gustavsen
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 10:43:05 AM »
however I would buy a device that could do multiple things well, and none perfectly, if you get my meaning. One screwdriver fits many different screws as so to speak sometimes they get you out of a jam and sometimes they make things a lot worse. My thought is I'm just(barely) a backyard cook, not a professional; so middle of the road is good enough for me with out spending a fortune, there are pellet cookers out there that will grill a steak at high temp, smoke a brisket and maybe someday if the right minds are stimulated cook a pizza

"Jack of all trades and a master of none" was a phrase i always though had merit, until the iPhone / smart phone came along. At first i thought: Why would any one want a camera on their phone? then, why music? why internet, etc. Now they do all those things really well, maybe even better. That changes the paradigm.

If you have a good heat source, heat management, and a lot of other dynamics right, why couldn't they be interchangeable? That is the basis for the Gustavsen WFG. That has been my overriding goal, along with being energy efficient. Some times the old gets displaced, but i don't see that as an overriding goal.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 11:24:56 AM »
Williard, let us know when these ovens are available and if there will be a forum discount.  I'm interested in seeing the final product and if it make good wfo pizza. 

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
  • Vendor
    • Willard Gustavsen
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 05:15:15 PM »
Jackie Tran, I have some more stuff to do and I will post it. Steve asked me if i could do another special for the forum, and I said I would.

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
  • Vendor
    • Willard Gustavsen
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 04:04:47 PM »
Some more info: The name of the new woodfired oven/grill is going to be GWG for (Gustavsen Woodfired Grill)
It is specifically designed to be a multi use product in the 5 areas listed below.
List of the functions it is designed to do superbly well (much better than average):

1. WF Pizza and flat bread oven with smoke envelope
2. WF Grill with smoke envelope
3. WF roaster with smoke envelope
4. WF griddle with smoke envelope
5. Elevated Fire Pit 

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
  • Vendor
    • Willard Gustavsen
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 09:27:00 PM »
Here's the question.
Thinking about doing a Kickstarter on the GWG.
The price is going to be Just under $1000.00
This is no "junk oven", it's top of the line 12 gauge steel... built like a tank...(beautiful to look at) to last a lifetime.
What should I price it at to make it attractive and successful for a KS campaign?

Really appreciate your input on this one....go ahead.....but.....Please be realistic.

P.S. I said it was a game changer....that is true
But more than that it is the most "forgiving" oven I have ever made.
What do I mean by forgiving? It means you can screw around, drink beer,
and STILL pull woodfired masterpieces out of this thing.

regards
wg
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:45:42 PM by 2stone »

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 10:53:26 PM »
Williard, is it possible to post a picture of the oven?  When will it go into production, or better yet when will it be available for purchase? Also how high of temps have you been able to achieve in it? Is it possible to make Neapolitan pizza with this oven?

Thank you,
Chau

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
  • Vendor
    • Willard Gustavsen
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 11:08:58 PM »
Yah soon!.... I told my attorney that i was just going to forget the whole patent, since I get copied so much anyway. He got intense with me and made me promise i would file first. Just about done. My question is still the same.....whats a good (motivating) discount?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:08:57 AM by 2stone »

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2015, 11:18:55 PM »
$650 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:21:12 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
  • Vendor
    • Willard Gustavsen
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2015, 11:24:10 PM »
ha ha ha......my kind of guy, with my sense of humor (before you edited it) Ok I'm listening.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:19:34 AM by 2stone »

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2015, 06:03:36 AM »
Can you tell us how big a pizza will fix in the oven.

Kickstarters usually sell to backers 25-40% less (price wise) than the final shipping price will be to non backers.
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG and PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
  • Vendor
    • Willard Gustavsen
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2015, 08:15:11 AM »
Maximum 13" pies, it has a grill size of 16" X 16"
also the footprint. It is aprx. 36" tall and weighs under 100 lbs.

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2015, 11:51:05 AM »
Will the GWG be something like this, my wife wants a Chiminea so I'm hoping the GWG will fit that bill (and make pizza and grill)...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046R1B6A/?tag=pmak-20
Norm

Offline spacetrucker

• Don't count every day... make every day count!!
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2015, 03:29:01 PM »

I told my attorney that i was just going to forget the whole patent, since I get copied so much anyway. He got intense with me and made me promise i would file first.
Listen to your attorney, that's why you pay him....(but you already knew that) ;D

Looks good multipurpose I like that...
on KS you could do a value added something like free shipping continental or whatever you deem affordable and or some wood, as every one knows but most are afraid to admit, there is no free anything... it gets paid for in one form or another.
I anxiously await to see what you bring fourth. ;)

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
  • Vendor
    • Willard Gustavsen
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2015, 05:48:31 PM »
norcoscia,

Interesting, it will, but much more seamless... not a lot of dismantling, and much more control.

spacetrucker,

sorry it's taking a bit more time, tonight I'm running a test on dual fuel.... wood/charcoal or gas (LP) maybe without a lot of effort I can provide the option so it would quickly convert back and forth from the two fuel sources. I appreciate both and if its not to costly may be able to provide a gas add-on.

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
  • Vendor
    • Willard Gustavsen
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2015, 07:00:03 PM »
Ran a test firing and will be adding a 100,000 btu LP burner option as an alternate fuel source to the wood.
This works really, really well and will be quick to convert back and forth.
Because I anticipate this feature to be very popular I may drop the W to: "Gustavsen Grill"
The Bayou reversible griddle is great with a Fibrament 13 5/8 stone on top of it. The combination creates an incredible baking hearth for pizza.
Otherwise the bayou is a little rough on the smooth side.
The wok which requires high temps for seering blazes with the 100,000 btu LP burner
All in all it is really shaping up as a true "high performance grill"

Here are some of the assessors that it is designed to work well with:

1. Pizza stone on top of cast iron Bayou griddle
2. Lodge cast iron baking pan
3. Lodge cast iron wok
4. cast iron dutch oven
5. cast iron skillet
6. Chicago Metallic pan for coffee roasting etc
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 07:13:55 PM by 2stone »

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
  • Vendor
    • Willard Gustavsen
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2015, 07:04:50 PM »
more

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2015, 07:15:08 PM »
Excellent, this just keeps getting better, we cook on a wok all the time, it is an electric (breville) and it never gets hot enough to do a proper job.

Two questions, can the Gustavsen Grill use natural gas, second question-- how far must it be from a combustible surface, sides and top?
Norm

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
  • Vendor
    • Willard Gustavsen
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2015, 07:30:58 PM »
I've never really done a lot on a wok until just recently but see that some of the real Monster BTU burners are all used for woks.
With both Wood and Gas the wok just sizzles and I did some of the finest mushrooms (easily my favorite) I have ever done today.
I can see myself getting into serious WOK WORK
I read the reviews on the Lodge Wok this morning and couldn't help but pick one up. The Lodges are really fine instruments of heat
and have incredibly good looking designs and finishes to them.

Yes I made sure of that...It runs on both LP and NG
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 07:59:29 PM by 2stone »

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
  • Vendor
    • Willard Gustavsen
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2015, 08:29:56 PM »
Had some videos posted and noticed this morning the quality was so bad i have to do them in HD
I have 30 gigs of data on my phone plan but they decide how i get to use it! Basically gave me a notice
to "go post your [email protected]&^m videos somewhere else!

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 08:13:04 AM by 2stone »