A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Craig's Bar Pies  (Read 16077 times)

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Craig's Bar Pies
« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2017, 01:02:16 AM »
Craig, here is a Heggies Pizza I had mentioned before that your pies remind me of. They are probably the most prevalent bar pie around here. This is a sausage pepperoni that I added some dry aged, fermented pepperoni that Rosie bought at a shop in Duluth for me, quite good pepperoni btw!! This is what we had tonite!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:04:49 AM by Jackitup »
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #161 on: November 15, 2017, 08:26:56 AM »
Looks good, however I think there is a lot more oil in that crust than I'm using. I'm edging back ever closer to a more NY style dough albeit on the low end of the hydration ratio.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #162 on: November 15, 2017, 11:49:13 AM »
The crust is very cardboardish, but halflit around midnite in a barfull of goofs, very good!😄 Quite popular around here!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Jeeps n' Pizza...
    • LenTex Brewery
« Reply #163 on: December 12, 2017, 02:43:20 PM »
As usual, you guys are killin' me.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://lentexbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/LenTexBrew

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2019, 08:18:48 PM »
Has anyone gotten good results with this style just baking in the pan on the oven rack?

I've made DSP this way at home, but my bar pizza is cooking much faster on top than the bottom when using the center rack. Maybe I need to go a rack lower?

Offline jsaras

« Reply #165 on: April 03, 2019, 08:49:23 PM »
No issues just using a pan here
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #166 on: April 03, 2019, 10:21:14 PM »
Bar style? any tips? Where is the rack placement in your oven?

No issues just using a pan here

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #167 on: April 03, 2019, 11:01:54 PM »
Has anyone gotten good results with this style just baking in the pan on the oven rack?

I've made DSP this way at home, but my bar pizza is cooking much faster on top than the bottom when using the center rack. Maybe I need to go a rack lower?

I went for a Lucali/Johnny's type pie last week.  0.07 rolled out, sauce on top.  I thought the bottom rack might be the ticket, but there wasn't enough top heat.  It was was a sloppy mess and had to be eaten with a fork.  I've got a poolish going for another try tomorrow.  That's my oven.  YMMV.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 11:03:53 PM by jkb »
John

Offline jsaras

« Reply #168 on: April 03, 2019, 11:04:51 PM »
Bar style? any tips? Where is the rack placement in your oven?

475F on the lowest rack until the bottom is done, then move it to the top rack for some broiler action.  I rotate the pizza  with quarter turns every 30 seconds until the top is done.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #169 on: April 03, 2019, 11:06:42 PM »
Craig, here is a Heggies Pizza I had mentioned before that your pies remind me of. They are probably the most prevalent bar pie around here. This is a sausage pepperoni that I added some dry aged, fermented pepperoni that Rosie bought at a shop in Duluth for me, quite good pepperoni btw!! This is what we had tonite!

That's some pepperoni I'd eat!
John

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #170 on: April 04, 2019, 02:24:50 PM »
When you say lowest rack, you mean the one thats right above the bottom by a couple inches or the one thats 6 to 8" off the bottom?

I'm going to give it a try again tomorrow. I wonder if a perforated pan would help....

475F on the lowest rack until the bottom is done, then move it to the top rack for some broiler action.  I rotate the pizza  with quarter turns every 30 seconds until the top is done.

Offline jsaras

« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2019, 06:14:29 PM »
When you say lowest rack, you mean the one thats right above the bottom by a couple inches or the one thats 6 to 8" off the bottom?

I'm going to give it a try again tomorrow. I wonder if a perforated pan would help....

Yes.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #172 on: April 05, 2019, 06:55:11 PM »
Worked so much better - Thank you. Rack lowered to the one right under the center rack. Preheated oven at 500 - light wipe of oil in the pan (visible but no pooling.) stretched to 12" (forgot to dock this time but it didn't seem to matter.) Sauce, baked for about 10 minutes - sauce only to test. bottom was nice and brown/crisp - even the parts that looked to be lifted off the pan a bit.

That being said, the dough did shrink - but next time will try this with cheese to the edge and see if it affects the bottom bake at all....

Yes.

wordpress