A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Secrets and Pearls  (Read 27261 times)

Offline rpmfla

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza Secrets and Pearls
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2017, 11:52:51 AM »
salt

I never thought much about salt other than as a flavor component but forgetting to add it recently taught me something important. When I went to my usual method of using gravity to stretch the dough, the saltless batch simply drooped down from my hands to the bench below with zero resistance. There was no elasticity at all. The pizza ended up working ok as I quickly gathered it and flipped it onto the peel (I added additional salt to the toppings too). So what I learned was: Too much salt can make a dough too elastic and hard to spread (less extensible). Too little salt and there is less elasticity and it is too extensible.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:55:31 AM by rpmfla »

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2017, 11:57:37 AM »

43 - When using a food processor, remove the blade before removing dough

How is that even possible? The dough is smothered over the blade. Incidentally, I always dump the bowl out onto the counter so blade and dough ball fall out together. Is that what he meant? Must be 🤔

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2017, 02:27:08 PM »
I can't recalll. In fact, I don't quite remember if I cut myself making pizza dough or something else in there...but I don't use it for dough often. You do, however, raise a good point. Though my dough amount may be far less than yours...I seem to recall there was a ball that had formed and that maybe the blade wasn't embedded in it? Hmmm...Oh well, be careful!

Offline bradtri

« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2017, 09:59:34 PM »
#49 don't forget there's a pizza in the oven
A Taste of Naples Pizza
www.atasteofnaplespizza.com
https://www.facebook.com/ATasteofNaplesPizza/
"Let Us Bring A Taste of Naples To Your Next Party"

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2017, 10:25:48 PM »
#49 don't forget there's a pizza in the oven
\\

Particularly when you flip it to broil!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Online hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2017, 06:52:28 PM »
#50 If you want to stretch your dough into a round skin, don't do any final stretches on the peel. If it's on the peel and not to full size, pick it back up and stretch it.

Matt

Offline janes_mw

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2017, 10:33:50 PM »
#51 don't believe your friend when he says "oh this is a great pepper to spice up your pie". He didn't tell me it was some kind of fricking dragon (looked like a red jalapeño, but OMG). He thought was funny but couldn't eat the pie!!
Always looking for the best! Haven't found it yet, but damn fun looking!!!!

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2017, 04:18:53 PM »
52) When in doubt make an Hawaiian Pizza ( 7/11, mozzarella, parmesan, ham and pineapple )
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2017, 10:14:44 AM »
53. Don't be afraid to cook your sauce...  >:D
the proof is in the pizza

Offline GumbaWill

• Many paths lead to the same destination
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2018, 06:51:34 AM »
14. Get a scale.

15. Get two scales:

1. .01 Gram accuracy
2. 1.0 Gram accuracy

Offline rpmfla

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2018, 03:18:42 PM »
Most here will probably scoff at this suggestion, but here goes...

High temp parchment paper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DZ1KSA/?tag=pmak-20

After I doubled over and flopped a beautiful NY Style pizza from the peel onto the pizza stone, I decided to never risk it again and bought a bulk of 500 sheets of high temp parchment paper that I have been using for years. Yes, I could have practiced and maybe increased the use of flour or cornmeal on the peel, but the parchment almost completely removes the risk of destroying my creation.

By the way, I did rescue that pizza accident by quickly assembling it into a sort of calzone!

Offline MikeMcM1956

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2018, 04:39:28 PM »
Most here will probably scoff at this suggestion, but here goes...

High temp parchment paper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DZ1KSA/?tag=pmak-20

After I doubled over and flopped a beautiful NY Style pizza from the peel onto the pizza stone, I decided to never risk it again and bought a bulk of 500 sheets of high temp parchment paper that I have been using for years. Yes, I could have practiced and maybe increased the use of flour or cornmeal on the peel, but the parchment almost completely removes the risk of destroying my creation.

By the way, I did rescue that pizza accident by quickly assembling it into a sort of calzone!

Good for up to 600F, too bad I cook a few hundred degrees above that....

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2018, 12:20:08 PM »
There is a very nice post by Chau that is relevant to this thread, at Reply 58 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=37996.msg541120#msg541120

Peter

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2019, 06:10:01 PM »
This may not be much of a "'Pearl of Wisdom".   I've read the Dough Doc's posts about oiling dough balls and cross stacking open dough trays to avoid condensation.  The other day (Hey, I'm slow ;D), it occurred to to me why not take the same approach I do when steaming bao buns in my Staub La Cocotte.  The Satub is designed to ensure that all moisture falls back onto to the product.  When doing boa, I always place a tea towel under the lid - no water dripping.

So I tried placing a bit of paper towel under the lid of a container that was holding a dough ball that was going straight into the fridge after mixing.  Worked well.  Duh ::)

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2019, 06:22:32 PM »
Pearl for me :)

Offline PizzaBeaver

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2019, 05:34:04 PM »
I'm a beginner, so take my lessons learned with a pinch of yeast. Also, I may be wrong, if so please let me know.

#54 in the beginning, knead your dough by hand. Doing this helped me understand where a dough starts and where it can finish.
#55 Make your sauce. Most store bought sauces suck and will make you sad.
#56 Follow the recipe. Any time you add flour to the dough because it is too sticky you are changing the recipe. Just keep Kneading, Just keep Kneading, ... Everything will be ok.

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2019, 05:44:45 PM »
I'm a beginner, so take my lessons learned with a pinch of yeast. Also, I may be wrong, if so please let me know.
........Any time you add flour to the dough because it is too sticky you are changing the recipe. Just keep Kneading, Just keep Kneading, ... Everything will be ok.

One doesn't need to just keep kneading, just keep kneading (pun intended).  In my opinion, it is better to use some rest periods to let the dough hydrate.  So, mix roughly, rest 20 min.  Knead three or four minutes, rest ten minutes.....continue two or three more times....

Offline PizzaBeaver

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2019, 05:56:34 PM »
I only use 2 rest periods one 5 min rest in the beginning and a 5 minute at the end. So i'm curious now to see what adding more will do. Also, one can over knead. So to clarify, when I start with a gooey mess (i.e. 65-70% hydration doughs), I won't add more flour. Instead, I work through my full Kneading process, the dough always firms up.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 05:58:43 PM by PizzaBeaver »

Offline JohnnyPizzen

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2019, 10:54:29 AM »
#57 : Use fresh yeast. It's actual small living animals, whereas no one knows what actually is ADY and IDY, or worse Chemical yeast.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2019, 07:45:15 AM »
#57 : Use fresh yeast. It's actual small living animals, whereas no one knows what actually is ADY and IDY, or worse Chemical yeast.

This is the pizza secrets page. The pizza conspiracy page is over there  :-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

wordpress