A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Inverted's Pie Barn  (Read 81434 times)

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Inverted's Pie Barn
« on: July 03, 2016, 12:53:50 AM »
Been wanting to make one of these to document my journey to pizza heaven.  The combined knowledge of this board is unlike any other resource for making pizza out there. Many thanks to the incredibly generous and helpful members here.

Today I made two dough balls and sauce for some family.

Flour (100%):
Water (63%):
IDY (.22%):
Salt (2%):
Oil (1%):
Sugar (2%):
Total (168.22%):   864.1 g | 30.48 oz | 1.9 lbs | TF = 0.099
Single Ball:   432.05 g | 15.24 oz | 0.95 lbs

Dough bulk fermented in the fridge for 3 days and I late balled them last night ala Fazzari. 

Their GE convection oven has a groove that allows the rack to sit right above the floor, a few inches below the main "rack tiers." These pies cooked absolutely perfect at 550 degrees convection "speedbake" - bake time right between 6 and 7 minutes with no broiling. I did rotate the pies 180 degrees at 5 minutes in.

First time using high gluten flour - Smart & Finals La Romanella brand. Dough handled excellent, and no thin spots which is an issue I've been having. Not the flour I planned on buying but their inventory seems to have changed quite a bit since last time I was there. Deli sliced mozzarella goes on so easy, allows you to get perfect coverage without any clumps in one spot.

They topped both pies with canadian bacon, mushroom, bell pepper, and red onion. Boars Head deli mozz. Last pic has some fresh mozz as well :pizza:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 12:55:32 AM by invertedisdead »
the proof is in the pizza

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
Re: Inverted's Pie Barn
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 08:14:39 AM »
Let the games B E G I N!
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 08:43:08 AM »
Looks great!  Based on the TF that's a 14" pie?  What surface was it baked on?  Is the bottom oven element exposed?
Carl

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 12:08:21 PM »
Looks great!  Based on the TF that's a 14" pie?  What surface was it baked on?  Is the bottom oven element exposed?

Thanks! Yeah 14" pie - some of that TF goes to a bigger rim so the final pie is still probably around .085
It's a gas oven, no burner exposed. My oven is electric with an exposed element so it was completely different from my normal baking routine. The pie was baked on a generic $10 pizza stone. The only reason I didn't put my stone on the oven floor is because it's broken in two pieces and wanted to dip instead of sit together tightly in the groove around the burner.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 12:12:47 PM by invertedisdead »

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 02:09:02 PM »
Same formula, larger batch for 5 dough balls. The only difference is I did a poolish overnight of 500g flour + 500g water and a pinch of IDY.
In a separate cup I dissolved the salt and sugar in the rest of the formulas water and added the oil. I sprinkled the remaining IDY on top of the poolish, then added the remaining water to lift the poolish from the tub. (Pic 1) Next I mixed everything a little just to incorporate before adding the remaining flour and kneading a bit to bring the dough to a shaggy mass. (Pic 2) After a 20 minute rest and 1 stretch and fold (Pic 3) the dough is ready to bulk in the fridge.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 12:29:15 AM »
A few pizzas from today.  :pizza:
Baking in a different oven yet again. This time 500 degrees no convection; HUGE difference between the bake from the other day where I could see the crust boiling from the bottom. My oven has no window so both bakes are a bit of an eye opener. Bake time was quite a bit longer, probably 9 or 10+ minutes with a little shuffling. The pepperoni mushroom I started off with, with the stone on the middle rack for 7 minutes. This oven had no broiler so I moved the pie to the top rack to finish the top. For the next two bakes I moved the stone to the lowest rack and cooked until the crust had to get off the stone, finishing again on the top rack. You can see the color difference between the two. They loved the pizza but I gotta say the 6-7ish minute bake from the other day was far superior to me.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 12:35:47 AM by invertedisdead »

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 12:27:13 AM »
Cheese making for tomorrows nearlypolitan bakes.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 06:23:31 PM »
margherita with vegan mozz
Pepperoni, Ham, Mushroom, Galbani mozzarella
Mushroom, Caramelized onion, vegan mozz

Dough was underproofed, had some problems this morning. Not the best bake but I learned a few things. Pictures seem blurry, lens have got dirty shuffling pizza.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 06:42:34 PM »
Looks good from here!  :chef:
Matt

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 07:51:57 PM »
Looks good from here!  :chef:

Sure does! Nice work Ryan!
Bob

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 10:01:49 PM »
4.5-5 minute ish bake.

Excellent flavorful golden brown crust, not overly charred, rim not dried out by the broiler. I hate that when the rim is hard like a Red Baron.
I'm running the broiler the whole bake, but the stone is on the lowest rack for a more gentle browning. Inverse square. No sugar. I can't get top browning without the broiler no matter which rack the stone is on or which browning agent is in the dough without doing a long bake. That's what I liked about my bake in a convection oven. But I'm perfectly content with this.

RT "flying sponge" til bubbly to a 24 hr bulk CF ; divide and ball for another 24 hr CF
pulled the dough from the fridge an hour before bake while the stone preheats.

I should stop experimenting.
The only thing I may try is cutting the high gluten flour with a bit of all purpose ; maybe 33%. This is La Romanella from Smart & Final.

I feel like I'm having a hard time finding a great tomato lately. I can't tell if I'm not salting enough or if I'm just getting bad tomatoes. Just got Amazon Prime, will probably find something on there. I want to try the Sclafani's or 6 in 1's but I don't even use a whole 14 oz can and they are all 28 oz. I guess I could recycle it into pasta. I sure would like to move to a 16" baking surface next. A 14" pizza just never has the "slice" factor of a larger pie. A lot of times I do the 6 slicer to try and fake it but they mostly come out wider and not longer. I digress.... !  ;D  :pizza:

Flour (100%): 469.57 g  |  16.56 oz | 1.04 lbs
Water (65%): 305.22 g  |  10.77 oz | 0.67 lbs
IDY (.33%): 1.55 g | 0.05 oz | 0 lbs | 0.51 tsp | 0.17 tbsp
Salt (2.08%): 9.77 g | 0.34 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.75 tsp | 0.58 tbsp
Oil (3%): 14.09 g | 0.5 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.13 tsp | 1.04 tbsp
Total (170.41%):   800.2 g | 28.23 oz | 1.76 lbs | TF = 0.09
Single Ball:   400.1 g | 14.11 oz | 0.88 lbs

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 10:16:19 PM »
Looks really good!
Hans

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 10:22:16 PM »
I sure would like to move to a 16" baking surface next. A 14" pizza just never has the "slice" factor of a larger pie.

I'm ready to move up from the 14" too for this same reason.  Hurry up and buy something so I know what to get  :-D
Carl

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 12:06:42 AM »
Thanks Hans!

I'm ready to move up from the 14" too for this same reason.  Hurry up and buy something so I know what to get  :-D

I think I might get this.
http://www.highwaterclays.com/index.cfm/product/2793/kiln-shelf-16-x-16-x-58-square.cfm

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 11:07:03 PM »
Family in town, made a few pizzas.

Same formula as last bake. 3 hr flying sponge (RT) 24 hr bulk (CF), 24 hr balls (CF)
7-11 tomatoes, Saputo Gold mozzarella, Dietz & Watson stick pepperoni

I think I will stop late balling next bake and go straight to dough balls next time. This dough should work for a same day dough or a few days when refrigerated.

Bake time was 4-4.5 minutes.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 11:27:06 PM »
The little ones visiting wanted more pizza  ;D
I'll take any opportunity to practice.

Same day room temp dough. No bulk, ripe sponge straight to dough balls. Was waiting for one more to show up, dough was starting to overproof, I don't think it got too far away though.

Flour (100%): 624.11 g  |  22.01 oz | 1.38 lbs
Water (65%): 405.67 g  |  14.31 oz | 0.89 lbs
IDY (.24%): 1.5 g | 0.05 oz | 0 lbs | 0.5 tsp | 0.17 tbsp
Salt (2%): 12.48 g | 0.44 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.6 tsp | 0.87 tbsp
Oil (1%): 6.24 g | 0.22 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.39 tsp | 0.46 tbsp
Total (168.24%):   1050 g | 37.04 oz | 2.31 lbs | TF = N/A
14" Single Ball:   350 g | 12.35 oz | 0.77 lbs 

It's interesting how the same dough can vary depending on bake time. The Hawaiian compared to the the pepperoni-mushroom ended up completely different.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 03:50:23 AM by invertedisdead »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 09:23:44 AM »
Ryan,

Nice job. Can you tell us what kind or brand of flour you used in case others would like to try your formulation?

Peter

Offline the1mu

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 09:52:20 AM »
You mention the varying bake times... Any remembrance how long each one went for?

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 12:04:31 PM »
Ryan,

Nice job. Can you tell us what kind or brand of flour you used in case others would like to try your formulation?

Peter

Thanks Peter,

I'm currently using Smart & Final's La Romanella High Gluten flour.

You mention the varying bake times... Any remembrance how long each one went for?

The Hawaiian was 5 minutes
The Pepperoni/Mushroom was 8 or 9
The cheese was 6ish.

I lost a lot of heat after the Hawaiian so the Pepperoni took quite a bit longer; and I let the oven regenerate a bit before I launched the cheese. I don't have an oven window so experimenting with the bake can be a little difficult to form an opinion since I have to keep popping in to see whats happening. My last bake was running the broiler the whole bake of the pie with the stone on the lowest rack. That gives me around a 4 minute pizza. Electric Oven. This bake I didn't turn the broiler on until the last minute or so, moving the pie from the stone to the top rack instead for a more intense blast.

I tried cutting back the oil after really liking my results with 3% the last few bakes. Initial thinking says I probably don't need more than 1%, if any when I stick to 4 minute bakes; but anywhere past 6.5-7 minutes and I think I need it to keep the crumb texture I want.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 12:08:03 PM by invertedisdead »

Offline the1mu

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 07:08:39 PM »
Thanks!