A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Inverted's Pie Barn  (Read 80898 times)

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Re: Inverted's Pie Barn
« Reply #1220 on: June 27, 2018, 10:35:46 AM »
That looks awesome!  Did you have some cheddar in the mix?

Thanks brother Carl!

No cheddar, but I also noticed that it looked like there was some in the melt. That's actually organic mozzarella.  :)
the proof is in the pizza

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1221 on: June 29, 2018, 10:57:32 PM »
Another thin crust pizza loaded with artichokes, black olives, mushrooms, banana peppers, and pepperoni! Finished with reggiano and a little crushed oregano.

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1222 on: June 30, 2018, 12:11:37 AM »
GBD!!
Carl

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1223 on: June 30, 2018, 12:28:45 PM »
GBD!!

This crust was fermented long enough for me to forget how long they were in the fridge, really added to the KAPOW of flavor!  :D These fully loaded pies are so filling too, I baked at 400 in pan on stone on the bottom rack. More organic mozzarella on this one, $1.99 at Grocery Outlet for 6 oz, at 3 oz a pie, that added $1 to my bill! Grocery Outlet is turning into a gem for pizza toppings for me. I got these 4.4 oz sticks of parmigianno reggiano there for $1.99 also! Even this uncured pepperoni was $1.99!

I realize the pepperoni looks dark and dried out in this pic with the flash but it really wasn't, nice diameter pep slices for this sized pie too!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 12:30:57 PM by invertedisdead »

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1224 on: June 30, 2018, 12:36:45 PM »
And after all my sauce talk I'm a bit embarrassed to say lately I'm simply blending a 14 oz can of private label "Italian diced tomatoes" (diced tomatoes, tomato juice, oregano, basil, garlic, and onion) with just a little bit of sugar and maybe a touch of powdered romano for my midwest style thin crust sauce.

BTW I pretty much broke all the rules on this one, it's a 65% hydration hand stretched oil free dough. More than one way to skin a pizza! I feel it's important to not get caught up too much in "dough formulas" - the same pizza dough can make many types of pizza depending on the way it is handled and baked.  :chef:

« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 12:55:00 PM by invertedisdead »

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • I make do with what I have
« Reply #1225 on: June 30, 2018, 04:30:46 PM »
Jonas got me thinking about a simple sauce in one of his posts a couple weeks back, I havent tried it yet but think just a nicely balanced tomato with enough salt and the seasonings can always go on top of the pie too, different flavor but I agree so many ways to skin a pizza =) Well put!

That pizza looks awesome, that's a 12" crisper?  :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

Online HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #1226 on: June 30, 2018, 05:37:56 PM »
I feel it's important to not get caught up too much in "dough formulas" - the same pizza dough can make many types of pizza depending on the way it is handled and baked.  :chef:

^^^
Hans

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1227 on: June 30, 2018, 09:39:53 PM »
Jonas got me thinking about a simple sauce in one of his posts a couple weeks back, I havent tried it yet but think just a nicely balanced tomato with enough salt and the seasonings can always go on top of the pie too, different flavor but I agree so many ways to skin a pizza =) Well put!

That pizza looks awesome, that's a 12" crisper?  :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

Yes sir, 12" crisper! fresh out the pie barn!

That's how I used to make my sauce, I think it works really well for fast baked pizzas, but the longer bakes seem to need a little something extra to me.

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Inverted's Pie Barn
« Reply #1228 on: July 05, 2018, 06:32:48 PM »
Pepperoni and artichoke crisper!

100% high gluten flour
50% water
4% coconut oil
2% sea salt
1% 1:1 roasted garlic powder / powdered romano cheese (inspired by DNA Dan's old Round Table thread)
.5% instant yeast

Maybe a touch too much sauce on this one, but this pie had a real parlor style flavor!

3 oz organic mozzarella - maybe too low, I might move to 4 oz.

Baked for 12 minutes at 450 on the bottom rack

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1229 on: July 05, 2018, 07:29:05 PM »
Pepperoni and artichoke crisper!

Nice! :chef:

May I ask what your dough handling/mixing, and fermentation time/temps were?  A bullet type response is fine!

I ask because I'm having some mid-western friends in town to visit next month.  I want to do a few Detroit styles and some thin crusts.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1230 on: July 05, 2018, 07:38:58 PM »
Ryan,

Were you able to detect the presence of the coconut oil in the finished results?

Peter

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1231 on: July 05, 2018, 08:01:34 PM »
Looks great Ryan!  You going party cut with these?
Carl

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1232 on: July 05, 2018, 09:05:41 PM »
Nice! :chef:

May I ask what your dough handling/mixing, and fermentation time/temps were?  A bullet type response is fine!

I ask because I'm having some mid-western friends in town to visit next month.  I want to do a few Detroit styles and some thin crusts.

Thanks Paul  :)

No problem, here's how I do it.

Salt dissolved into water, then instant yeast
add that saltwater to flour, mix for a minute,
then I use Tom's delayed oil method of adding oil just after the flour is hydrated.
I start kneading in the bowl until all of the oil is sopped up, then I take the dough to the bench for a few minutes of kneading
bench rest for 15-20 minutes or so, maybe another brief kneading after 10 minutes
Scale, ball, and refrigerate.

I cold fermented this dough for 2 days, pretty warm here in California right now so I used cold water to compensate, though I generally use room temp water.

I'm using a .07 TF which I like because I'm opening by hand. I'm not that great at working a rolling pin for whatever reason so I tend to opt for an easier to open dough and bake a little longer to reach the desired crispness.

Ryan,

Were you able to detect the presence of the coconut oil in the finished results?

Peter

Peter,

I used refined coconut oil which I find essentially tasteless, though the organic unrefined stuff does have a prominent flavor. My reasoning behind the coconut oil is the solid fat texture without the hydrogenation of other types of shortening.

Looks great Ryan!  You going party cut with these?

Thanks Carl! You know it!!!  ;D ;D ;D party cut is in my DNA  ;D

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1233 on: July 06, 2018, 08:39:36 AM »
I do not have the jumbo size box of crayons but I believe you have invented a new color. That thing really pops!
-Tony
“Pizza is bread, after all.” - Brian Spangler

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • I make do with what I have
« Reply #1234 on: July 06, 2018, 09:18:23 AM »
Beautiful pizza Ryan, I am going to have to try those artichokes.  You've been rocking those for so long it's gotta be good!  :drool:  Have you found much difference in flavor between powdered hard cheese coverage vs shreds?

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1235 on: July 06, 2018, 11:59:39 AM »
I do not have the jumbo size box of crayons but I believe you have invented a new color. That thing really pops!

;D cheers Tony!

Beautiful pizza Ryan, I am going to have to try those artichokes.  You've been rocking those for so long it's gotta be good!  :drool:  Have you found much difference in flavor between powdered hard cheese coverage vs shreds?

Artichokes have quickly rose to the top of toppings in this house! I think my favorite ones are the "grilled" artichokes. Meaty like mushrooms, but different.  :chef:

I started doing the powdered thing cause I saw a lot of pro shops doing it and using it like a seasoning. Haven't really noticed much difference in flavor other than the powdered stuff melts easier. I think I use more when its powdered, maybe that's why I think it adds so much flavor lol, but I like the dynamics of being able to measure it by feel, just like I do sea salt out of a salt cellar.

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1236 on: July 06, 2018, 08:56:36 PM »
Thanks Paul  :)

No problem, here's how I do it.......

Thank you.

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1237 on: July 14, 2018, 10:13:28 PM »
Couple thin crispers, an old fashioned and a sausage, banana pepper, and olive pie! Have a great weekend pizza pals!

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1238 on: July 17, 2018, 02:03:37 PM »
Here is my first attempt at a Grandma Pizza.  I was trying the Dough Doctor's PH Pan clone recipe and since it gave me two dough balls, I made one in a round pan and then stretched this one out in a oiled sheet pan and let it proof for about an hour.  Essentially just a thinner version of the pan pizza.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32155.msg318279#msg318279

I cooked it at 450° and will up that to 500° next time, but over all, this was really good.  The crust was nicely fried and crispy but a little overly soft towards the middle.  Fixes for next time.  :-)

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #1239 on: July 17, 2018, 02:06:15 PM »
Here is my first attempt at a Grandma Pizza.  I was trying the Dough Doctor's PH Pan clone recipe and since it gave me two dough balls, I made one in a round pan and then stretched this one out in a oiled sheet pan and let it proof for about an hour.  Essentially just a thinner version of the pan pizza.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32155.msg318279#msg318279

I cooked it at 450° and will up that to 500° next time, but over all, this was really good.  The crust was nicely fried and crispy but a little overly soft towards the middle.  Fixes for next time.  :-)

Looks great!  :chef:
Jeff

wordpress