A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Inverted's Pie Barn  (Read 80415 times)

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Re: Inverted's Pie Barn
« Reply #1280 on: May 18, 2019, 01:18:33 PM »
What are your bake times and temps? Just might get back into pizza making since aluminum screens are cheap.

My bake time is usually around ~10-13 minutes at 500-550F for screen or pan baked pizzas. Depends on the style of pizza I'm making.

My current electric oven is pretty anemic and just not possible to produce the type of pies I was making when I first started this thread. I kind of feel like after all the experimenting, if you have a weak oven the stone seems like the best solution, just because it's the greatest chance at getting some heat into the pizza. Screens seem to work particularly well for me in convection ovens but my oven lacks convection. Pizzamaking member Sodface had this neat little convection fan you could stick in your oven  ;D ;D

One of my big issues with screens is the electric heating element at the bottom of my oven puts out radiant heat in the shape of the element, which makes it hard to get an even bake on the undercrust; that's ultimately why I picked up the 16" pan. My next experiment is to try to put a reflective pan and some mass two racks above to simulate a deck ovens height, and maybe get more heat directed at the top of the pizza to help support an even bake. I've had good luck with experiments like that in the past with other pizza setups.

All that said, stone baked pizza is the stuff that I really crave. I've made some really delicious pizzas on screen though, you just gotta work it.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #1281 on: May 18, 2019, 05:23:42 PM »
mr, if the cost of a stone is keeping you away from pizza baking, I have an extra I picked up at a garage sale for a couple of bucks.  pm me your address and I'll send it your way!
Alrighty, I appreciate it!
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1282 on: May 21, 2019, 09:26:08 PM »
I'm not sure I'll ever be able to make the big slice pies I want with my home oven so I'm considering a different direction. I'm thinking of buying a small pizza steel to make 12" pies like the pepperoni pizza I posted one page back. Any updated thoughts on steel?

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1283 on: May 22, 2019, 12:55:47 PM »
I'm not sure I'll ever be able to make the big slice pies I want with my home oven so I'm considering a different direction. I'm thinking of buying a small pizza steel to make 12" pies like the pepperoni pizza I posted one page back. Any updated thoughts on steel?

Can you elaborate on your logic? I'm not saying I disagree, rather I think I'll learn something. Are you saying your oven can handle a 12" pie on steel but not a 16" pie on steel?
Matt

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1284 on: May 22, 2019, 02:20:36 PM »
Can you elaborate on your logic? I'm not saying I disagree, rather I think I'll learn something. Are you saying your oven can handle a 12" pie on steel but not a 16" pie on steel?

I've spent a while trying to make as large of a pizza as I could fit in my oven, but there's been challenges getting an even bake. I'm starting to wonder if some of my pizzas are so large, the size itself is what's inhibiting even cooking, perhaps the pizza is larger than the "sweet spot" my oven can provide for heat?

I'm also considering going to smaller pizzas again so I can generate a sustainable weekly bake, others in the house are on their own eating plans so I've been eating 16" pizzas mostly to myself lately. I'm thinking of purchasing either a 16" stone or a smaller baking steel. I feel like ultimately that equates to about a 15" pizza I could fit on the stone, which still doesn't really nail the big slices I'd like to make. And with the household not eating as much pizza, those big slices aren't really necessary anyways.  Also, my favorite local joint one town over whom I've been revisiting has been satisfying my cravings for a larger, legit deck oven baked pie - which heightens my curiosity to try something different. Of course, if I buy the 16" stone, I could make 12" pizzas on that just fine, with the option for something larger if I needed to; but I have been impressed with a quicker bake on a smaller pizza since it tends to eat differently from a large slice.

There's a 3/8" 13" steel plate on eBay for $30 which I'm tempted to try. I'm definitely inspired to try something in CaptBob's direction.

Offline DreamingOfPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1285 on: May 26, 2019, 05:32:24 PM »
go as big as you can, is what I think. Like you said, you can make the pies as small as you like and when you feel like making a big one you will be able to. The depth of my oven allows up to an 18 " pizza, It's nice having extra room too if you like launching off a peel.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1286 on: May 26, 2019, 08:45:37 PM »
I'm in the same boat as far as not being able to finish large pies. I was making extra for a while, but it was just getting thrown out.

The bake evenness is an interesting one, and I dont recall reading much on the forum about it. I remember my 16" pies baking differently than 14", but I'm not sure if it was the oven or the pie itself. I'm sure there's an experiment waiting in there.

I tend to agree with DoP that a bigger steel/stone will of course give flexibility down the road. But if you see a good deal on a small one, then go for it.

Matt

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1287 on: May 29, 2019, 12:04:05 AM »
I think scott123 recommended buying as big as possible. I prefer to make two pies each bake, my wife and I canít finish two 12 inchers. When the kids are home, I make 16 inchers, max capacity for our oven.
"Is that a pie fit for a king
A wondrous sweet
And most particular thing?" - sweeney todd

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1288 on: May 30, 2019, 11:25:25 PM »
12" pie - Baked this one on my broken pizza stone and it came out great!

6 oz Mozzarella - I sourced the cheese from a local Italian deli. I forgot the brand of this mozz but I'll check next time, It's not one of the usual mozzarella brands generally suggested on here though. The pizza was garnished with finely grated Reggianito cheese.

I mentioned to the man in the deli who was helping me that I was making a pizza, and apparently he was the owner; excitedly and courteously he gifted me a link of his house made Italian Sausage! I'll have to make a pie with just that so it can really be appreciated but I very much liked how it turned out in this pie!

I also picked up some 6-in-1 and DiNapoli crushed tomatoes from the Deli.

Sauce for this one was San Benito SM Style with basil from the #10 can - drained and milled with the fine plate. Seasoned with a bit of powdered Romano, garlic salt, and oregano.

Dough was cold fermented for about 5 days, had a lot of flavor, the right chew, nice stone bake, very pleased with this pizza, I feel like I'm back in the game.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1289 on: May 30, 2019, 11:38:27 PM »
 :drool: :drool: :chef:

Thatís one of nicest pies Iíve seen on the forum!
"Is that a pie fit for a king
A wondrous sweet
And most particular thing?" - sweeney todd

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1290 on: May 30, 2019, 11:47:11 PM »
:drool: :drool: :chef:

Thatís one of nicest pies Iíve seen on the forum!

^^^ :chef:!
Bob

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #1291 on: May 31, 2019, 12:35:19 AM »
Very nice!  :chef:
Jeff

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1292 on: May 31, 2019, 09:59:11 AM »
Thank you pizza pals!!  :chef:

Offline DreamingOfPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1293 on: June 03, 2019, 09:23:48 PM »
What do you do with the leftovets from a #10 can? Do you freeze and use later or refridgerate until next time?

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1294 on: June 04, 2019, 05:38:23 AM »
What do you do with the leftovets from a #10 can? Do you freeze and use later or refridgerate until next time?

I usually freeze the leftovers, the sauce I used for my pizza a few nights ago was from the freezer.

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1295 on: June 04, 2019, 10:20:08 AM »

Sauce for this one was San Benito SM Style with basil from the #10 can - drained and milled with the fine plate. Seasoned with a bit of powdered Romano, garlic salt, and oregano.

Inverted, when you say "drained" do you mean you don't include the puree the tomatoes are canned in?
Jeff

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1296 on: June 04, 2019, 10:58:23 AM »
Inverted, when you say "drained" do you mean you don't include the puree the tomatoes are canned in?

Yes, those were whole peeled tomatoes packed in juice - I drained the packing juice and used half of the tomatoes in a pot of marinara sauce, and scaled out a separate portion to mill and freeze for pizzas. I usually weigh out 14 or 28 oz portions to replicate if I was using a standard can.

The fine plate on my food mill gives a nice "passata" which spreads well. I'm learning that I like a very smooth sauce for pizza and a very chunky, rustic sauce on spaghetti.

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1297 on: June 04, 2019, 11:06:57 AM »
Yes, those were whole peeled tomatoes packed in juice - I drained the packing juice and used half of the tomatoes in a pot of marinara sauce, and scaled out a separate portion to mill and freeze for pizzas. I usually weigh out 14 or 28 oz portions to replicate if I was using a standard can.

The fine plate on my food mill gives a nice "passata" which spreads well. I'm learning that I like a very smooth sauce for pizza and a very chunky, rustic sauce on spaghetti.

That's interesting ... I've used the Alta Cucinas through a food mill sometimes, but I've used the "sauce" too.   Do you know if they use an inferior tomato product for the sauce just for packing purposes?
Jeff

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1298 on: June 04, 2019, 11:47:07 AM »
That's interesting ... I've used the Alta Cucinas through a food mill sometimes, but I've used the "sauce" too.   Do you know if they use an inferior tomato product for the sauce just for packing purposes?

I've heard that claim for other tomatoes, not Alta Cucina specifically. And even heard people will rinse the tomatoes to remove the inferior packing liquid.

Matt

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1299 on: June 04, 2019, 12:28:51 PM »

Not sure, like Matt, I have heard that generalized before; but I only did it because I didn't want the sauce too thin. I knew the juice inside + the fine plate + the freezing process would make the sauce thin enough for me.