A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Home milling high gluten flour  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Catnapped

Home milling high gluten flour
« on: September 17, 2016, 05:20:13 PM »
I just received a pretty cool looking electric grain mill as a gift. My go-to flour for pizza dough is a combination of "Grain Craft" (formerly PFM) Power and Mondako. How and where do I find wheat berries that will produce flour with similar gluten levels? I've been looking at grains online and there doesn't seem to be much discussion about the gluten content of the resulting flour.

Any wisdom from the crowd about using this thing effectively? I've never even considered milling my own flour before, but I'm thinking it could be interesting.

Thanks in advance.

-Rob

Offline Ovenray

Re: Home milling high gluten flour
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 05:35:17 PM »
Which grain mill is it? do you have a link?

The freshloaf website has a few threads concerning your question btw, this is an older topic but a good enough starting point: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/11050/why-are-wheat-berries-so-expensive
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 05:39:33 PM by Ovenray »
All things learned are taken into account.

Offline Catnapped

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 06:34:14 PM »
It's one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UI37N8/?tag=pmak-20 People seem to like it.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

-R

Offline Ovenray

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 07:01:17 PM »
Great gift, just saw a review about it and it also seems to do an excellent job grinding flour from raw popcorn and rice :)

Offline charbo

• Supporting Member
  • Wheat
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 11:01:08 PM »
The main thing is to get hard spring wheat, not hard winter.  I am under the impression that hard red spring is usually a little higher in protein than hard white spring.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 01:41:56 PM »
The types of wheat that you will have to choose from are:
Hard white wheat (good for bread and deep-dish pizza)
Soft white wheat (cookies and pastry)
Hard red winter wheat (bread and deep-dish pizza)
Hard red spring wheat (Artisan breads, rolls, thin crust pizza) This type of wheat will provide you with the highest level of protein. Keep in mind when selecting your wheat that you want to select a wheat that is approximately 1% higher in protein content than the protein content of the flour you have been using, this is because approximately 1% protein content is lost when milling the wheat into flour. Note: Home "flour mills" are typically more of a wheat grinding mill than an actual flour mill (commercial flour mill) where the wheat is ground on a roller mill and separated into its different flour fractions. If your mill has a screen for sifting the bran out of the flour to make something resembling white flour you will lose that 1% protein as much of it is attached to the bran particles (that 1% lost protein by the way has rather poor gluten forming properties).
Just remember, select a wheat that is 1% higher in protein content than the flour you want to use. If you want to use a 12% protein flour select a 13% +/- protein content wheat.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 01:51:07 PM »
I think everyone now can see the advantage of having Tom, who spent years in Kansas in the heart of wheat country, on the forum to tell us about wheat varieties and flours.

Peter

Offline Ovenray

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 03:17:07 PM »
I think everyone now can see the advantage of having Tom, who spent years in Kansas in the heart of wheat country, on the forum to tell us about wheat varieties and flours.

Peter

Without trying to diminish Tom's part in this I'd have to say I value all the boardmembers on this forum. The combined knowledge and the experience is invaluable and not only to home bakers I guess. If you guys would ever publish a book based on whats going on around here it'll most probably become a bestseller.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 03:23:33 PM »
Without trying to diminish Tom's part in this I'd have to say I value all the boardmembers on this forum. The combined knowledge and the experience is invaluable and not only to home bakers I guess. If you guys would ever publish a book based on whats going on around here it'll most probably become a bestseller.
Ray,

Some while ago, Tom said that the planned to write a book on pizza making.

Peter

wordpress