A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: goosta's Adventures in Pizza Making  (Read 11099 times)

Offline goosta

Re: goosta's Adventures in Pizza Making
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2017, 05:26:04 PM »
Switching things up with a different dough formula (Tom Lehmann's NY Style Pizza) and trying out the All Trumps flour.

Flour (100%):
Water (62%):
IDY (0.25%):
Salt (1.75%):
Olive Oil (1.0%):
Total (165%):
Single Ball:
971.22 g  |  34.26 oz | 2.14 lbs
602.16 g  |  21.24 oz | 1.33 lbs
2.43 g | 0.09 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.81 tsp | 0.27 tbsp
17 g | 0.6 oz | 0.04 lbs | 3.05 tsp | 1.02 tbsp
9.71 g | 0.34 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.16 tsp | 0.72 tbsp
1602.51 g | 56.53 oz | 3.53 lbs | TF = 0.0918
400.63 g | 14.13 oz | 0.88 lbs

Totally failed on my first attempt at making the dough. I started mixing it and it was extremely soupy. Added a bit of flour - still soupy. Then it dawned on me - I forgot to measure out the water! I was distracted because I added ice to the water to get it to a cooler temp and I think that threw me off. So I dumped all the water in without even thinking.  >:( Oh well, had to start over taking care to actually measure the water that time!

Water temp was at 58F and I reduced mix time to 4 min. Dough temp was 78F. Still having issues with knowing if my dough is over/under kneaded. Based on some suggestions I found on the forum, I tried taking a small piece and testing if my thumbs left an indent (it did not). Also tested pulling it apart and it stretched. The dough felt tighter to me than my previous experience - not sure if that is bad or good.  :) It balled up well.

Last time I bagged the dough and twisted it shut and ended up with a fair amount of condensation in the bag. This time I left the bags open for about 45 min, then twisted them closed. Is it better to avoid the condensation by leaving the bags open like I did, or does that not matter?

Offline vtsteve

• If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2017, 11:36:13 AM »
When I bag, I squeeze out all the air so the plastic is in direct contact over the entire dough, then twist and set the dough on the ponytail -- no air, no condensation.
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline goosta

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2017, 04:45:46 PM »
When I bag, I squeeze out all the air so the plastic is in direct contact over the entire dough, then twist and set the dough on the ponytail -- no air, no condensation.

Good to know. I will try that. Thanks!

Offline goosta

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2017, 02:20:11 PM »
My in-laws are coming over for dinner tomorrow night, so figured I better try out this dough first. I made up a pie for lunch and it turned out really great! Much easier to open and less gassy that my past doughs. Really liked the flavor as well.

Since I always stress out over attempting to dress the pie as quickly as possible to avoid sticking on the peel, and because I'd like to speed up making multiple pizzas, I decided to buy a Super Peel. So I feel like I am cheating, but that sucker is awesome! It was way better dressing the pie on my counter, then loading it onto the peel and into my BS. There is definitely a learning curve. I had tried it out some with a damp kitchen towel, but when it came time for the real thing I run into two issues. Made the pizza a bit too big, so it hung off the front edge by an inch or so. Also, when I launched it into the BS, I did not have it far back enough so the pizza hung over the edge. To deal with that, I turned off the flame completely and let it go for about a minute to set up, then used my metal peel to reposition it. Also, before I launched it, I turned off the flame and stopped the rotisserie.

Overall, really happy with this dough formula and how the pie turned out! :)

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2017, 03:15:38 PM »
Sweet pie, the undercrust looks awesome, nice char!
the proof is in the pizza

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2017, 08:50:01 PM »
...To deal with that, I turned off the flame completely and let it go for about a minute to set up, then used my metal peel to reposition it...

I actually never thought of doing that. And I've had many pies with one slice having a blackened rim. Anyway, congrats on the nice bake  :chef:
Matt

Offline goosta

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2017, 10:46:08 PM »
Had my in-laws over for dinner tonight. Pies came out great! Really loving the Super Peel - made it much less stressful, especially since I was distracted by talking while making up the pizzas. Was able to launch into the BS perfectly this time, so I was really happy!

Still have one dough ball left - lunch tomorrow maybe?  ;D

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2017, 11:40:41 PM »
Everything's coming out awesome over here  :chef:

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2017, 07:39:05 AM »
Everything's coming out awesome over here  :chef:

^^^
Matt

Offline goosta

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2017, 09:42:27 PM »
Used up my last dough ball from the batch. No problems opening it and the pizza tasted great. Really happy with how this dough turned out.  :)

Offline goosta

« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2017, 11:19:23 AM »
Had family over last night for dinner, so I made up a couple pizzas. Tried a gyro pizza and it was awesome. Those slices disappeared quickly...  :-D

For the gyro pie, brushed olive oil (mixed with some garlic power) unto the crust, used mix of whole fat and part skim mozz, some parmesan romano, precooked gyro meat from Restaurant Depot, red onion, chopped tomatoes (seeds removed) and some greek seasoning sprinkled on top. Served the pizza with tzatziki sauce (from Costco) to dab on top. I wanted to use a squeeze bottle, but the tzatziki has large chunks of cucumber in it, so we just spooned it on. Next time, might try adding cucumber and some lettuce after baking.

The other pie was vermont smoke and cure pepperoni, sausage and black olives (the usual I have been making lately  :-D).

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • I make do with what I have
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2017, 12:37:30 PM »
Lovin' that gyro pizza goosta!  :pizza:  I've been wanting to try that, your toppings sound delicious!  Great work  =)

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2017, 12:42:05 PM »
Really nice work on all those pies goosta, the gyro was a great idea and looks fantastic.  :drool: :drool:
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG, Baker's Pride M02T 220V, PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2017, 03:42:15 PM »
Looks great. I like the crust color you achieved with the brushed oil.
Matt

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2017, 05:04:07 PM »
Great job goosta! How are you baking these pies - Screen? Stone?

Offline goosta

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2017, 06:26:40 PM »
Thanks so much everyone!  :)

I'm baking them in my Blackstone on the stone it came with.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2017, 07:35:56 PM »
Really nice work on all those pies goosta, the gyro was a great idea and looks fantastic.  :drool: :drool:

^^^

Norma

Offline goosta

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2017, 03:29:11 PM »
It's been a while since I've last posted. Unfortunately, I haven't been making much pizza except for my son's birthday party a couple of weeks back. I made up 4 pizzas on the BS, which was more than I've ever done. Usually I'm just baking 1 or 2 pizzas, so even though it doesn't seem like many more, it sure felt like it!!

I really want to experiment with ways I could make up pizzas earlier in the day and bake later...kinda like what you would get at Papa Murphy's. It was getting pretty stressful as everyone was hungry and waiting. The first two came out pretty good...the last two were okay. I think part of the problem at that point was the dough has been sitting out too long and got pretty gassy. Also I got the BS too hot and didn't wait for it to cool a bit, so they got overdone.

In other news... I got an awesome deal on a deep freezer for the garage from a guy who owned a local Italian restaurant that shut down. As I was drooling over his awesome marble top pizza prep table direct from Italy, he gave me a square pizza pan from a stack he had his garage. Score! :) Now, I just gotta figure out what to try making... Sicilian? Detroit? Focaccia?  :chef:

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • I make do with what I have
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2017, 04:30:35 PM »
Nice score goosta!  Looks like a fine pan for all of those applications =)

Making multiple pies can be stressful I agree.  I've done 3 and I've found the best way to do it is have everything pre-measured/weighed as far as the toppings go.  The dough is a little different, perhaps putting the dough in a cooler with some cold items to keep the dough from overproofing?  So long as the dough doesn't get below 50F you should be able to open it fairly easily.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2017, 09:12:57 PM »
I agree with Hermit, laying out the ingredients in the order of each pie has helped me.

When the weather gets warmer here, I may experiment with taking each Doughball out of the fridge in 10 minute increments to try to have each one sit at room temperature for the same amount of time.
Matt

wordpress