A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Best brick oven instructions  (Read 492 times)

Offline wotavidone

• Pizza is not bread.
Best brick oven instructions
« on: December 08, 2018, 07:52:17 AM »
From Sydney Fire Bricks and Refractories.
These are the best instructions I've seen.
I'm assuming that if they didn't want these linked, they would not have posted them on the internet.
The kit price is very good for a 1m inside diameter oven.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hm33tex1ynivt66/Semicut%20Brick%201mtr%20oven%20Instructions%20ROUND%20V01112018.pdf?dl=0
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 07:55:14 AM by wotavidone »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Best brick oven instructions
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 12:18:17 AM »
Those are good, with a few minor picks.  The floor tiles are laid perpendicular to the entry creating peel snag points, and the 4 little chips are not a good design.  By  laying the floor at a 45 you can avoid both (at the cost of more floor tiles).  Chamfering helps, but  it is not needed.

Also, it is best, when building an arch to not have the joint centered over the peak, thus the reason keystones are used.

Also not a fan of airset for this application.

Overall, very good, comprehensive set of plans.

Offline wotavidone

• Pizza is not bread.
Re: Best brick oven instructions
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 07:22:55 AM »
I'm not a fan of air set either. Mostly because its expensive and not really meant for gap filling so you need to cut bricks to minimise the gaps.
I did just fine using 3 sand, 1 clay, 1 lime, and 1 portland cement. My oven has been to 500C plus, dozens of times, and the mortar is still solid.

With regard to the floor pattern, my bricks are laid square and I've never had a problem catching the peel. They do have a small chamfer on the edge though.

In fairness to the guys who wrote these instructions they are supplying tapered bricks for the arch, so strictly speaking every brick is a key stone and it doesn't really matter that there is no central brick at the top.
Mostly I like these instructions because anyone who follows them will not end up with any of the stupid stuff you see on the net.

You know the stupid %$# that's out there:
Stands that can't take the weight or put the cooking floor down around your knees somewhere
Chimneys that exit from the main chamber taking all the heat away
No insulation under the floor
Perlite in the hot layer
Salt for "insulation" - who the hell told 'em that?
I saw a page a while ago where the insulation over the dome was clay, straw and cowshit. :-D

I like these instructions because they address lots of other things, too. eg. I've always felt that dome walls sitting on the floor bricks which sit on cal/sil board are testing the compressive strength, whereas these instruction recommend building the dome itself on insulating fire bricks which are far more structurally sound than cal/sil board.
And how many guys over on the Forno Bravo forum struggle with figuring out how the dome marries to the arch - the drawings here answer a lot of questions.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 07:51:11 AM by wotavidone »

A D V E R T I S E M E N T