A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sand form trick I picked up on a French oven building forum  (Read 599 times)

Offline ChristianVerschaeren

Sand form trick I picked up on a French oven building forum
« on: January 30, 2018, 01:48:02 PM »
So I read about this on a French forum, tried it, and it worked a charm so I thought I'd share.

Basically it's when doing your sand form, get it roughly into shape with bricks/wood/junk/whatever covered with some sand.

Then mix some sand with lime and water and use that as the last layer of your sand form. It's mallable and plastic so it's really easy to get the shape perfect.

Let this dry, it should be rock hard in two days: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EPPH0rEzp5DPzHl03  (one day if you put a heater on it)

Build your dome and when the keystone is in, get the sand out. The hard lime-sand shell should just fall off leaving the bricks cleanly exposed.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 01:50:02 PM by ChristianVerschaeren »

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Sand form trick I picked up on a French oven building forum
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 10:14:16 PM »
Clever. My brother does a lot of this kind of stuff. More with wood than anything, but some masonry and blacksmithing. He doesn’t seem to like any method that is not at least 200 years old. He has built about a dozen boats; on the first one he wouldn’t use any power tools. He built a small barn/large garage with no metal fasteners; dovetailed the rafters to the top plate. You guys would like each other.

I really enjoy seeing your work. Way out of my league.
-Tony

Offline ChristianVerschaeren

Re: Sand form trick I picked up on a French oven building forum
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 09:19:25 AM »

I really enjoy seeing your work. Way out of my league.

Thanks, when I started on this it was way out of my league too. Now it's only bit out of my league. ;)

A D V E R T I S E M E N T