A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Hanglow's pizza voyage  (Read 6582 times)

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
Hanglow's pizza voyage
« on: March 23, 2018, 06:34:08 PM »
I thought I'd try and start a thread to keep track of my pizza journey.  I got a Maximus WFO last summer and have been a bit all over the place in terms of ingredients and technique, so hopefully this thread will help me.  I've used it maybe 12 times or so, mainly pizzas but have also cooked lamb shoulders overnight in it and some chicken kebabs.  I'll mainly be using it for pizza though, which is why I'm posting here and not roastlambmaking.com :)   

I'd say my pizza skills at the moment are....somewhat lacking. So onwards and upwards :)

Picture is the maximus on its first firing last summer

-----------
I'm also going to list some common ingredients to the uk, as in easy to get brands of mozzarella and plum tomatoes and try and compare them if possible, hopefully that might be some help to others.  Hope I can edit this post down the line to keep it in one place  :-\ and tidy it up a bit

Mozzarella

M&S - Mozzarella Di Bufala Campana, I.L.C. MANDARA S.P.A.,  Naples
        - standard fresh mozz  - Fattorie del sole, Calabria

Tesco -Medium fat Mozzarella cheese ( fresh) -  ALIMENTARIA VALDINIEVOLE S.P.A., Porcari, Tuscany
           Mozzarella for  Pizza, medium fat. ALIMENTARIA VALDINIEVOLE S.P.A.,   PONTE BUGGIANESE
          Mozzarella Di Bufala - I.L.C. MANDARA S.P.A., Naples

Aldi -   Mozzarella, fresh - Made by Galbani  -   less salt, touch less fat than standard galbani also less uniform in shape. Uncooked you could tell it had less salt.  Evens with galbani for me and half the price

Lidl -  Standard fresh mozzarella - Spezialitäten-Käserei Wiegert GmbH , Nordrhein-Westfalen, Deutschland

Morrisons - Fresh Mozzarella,    LATTERIE CARSICHE S.P.A.,  Friuli-Venezia Giulia.

ASDA  - Smoked Mozzarella di bufala Campana PDO , SORI` ITALIA SRL, Campana
           -Burrata Mozzarella ,    CAPURSO AZIENDA CASEARIA S.P.A. , Bari
           -  Smart price Mozzarella - ce code of CZ 04 ES  , so made in Czech.  a massive 4p cheaper than        the following italian galbani made one

- Mozzarrella, fresh  - Galbani
          - Mozzarella, full fat block, -  Galbani

Galbani is available in almost all of them I think, they have a few different factories in Italy.

So far my completely unscientific findings from trying a few different ones without making note are that the cheap, standard fresh mozarellas you get in supermarkets here are much of a muchness in terms of flavour at least when I have had them uncooked in a salad.  The advice to find one as fresh as possible is probably best
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 05:48:01 AM by Hanglow »

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Hanglow's pizza voyage
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 06:40:53 PM »
Here's my dough for tomorrow, recipe inspired by rolls info from Qarl's Roman Thin thread :)

100% Molina Grassi 00
55% water
2% active sourdough
2% salt
2% spanish EVOO

mixed in kenwood chef sense with j hook for about 6-7 minutes, with a ten minute rest sans oil at the start.

planning on about a 44hr ferment @18c or so (24hr bulk and 20hr balled) 

pics
start of bulk
end of bulk
balled  180g to 185g, I balled  one much less tight to see what difference it would make

Will cook tomorrow.  Dough had a nice tang to it when I was balling.  Might have risen a tad too much in bulk?  I can move the balls tomorrow morning to somewhere cooler if necessary though
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 04:59:53 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 08:56:00 PM »
Nice looking oven. I look forward to following your progress.
-Tony
“Pizza is bread, after all.” - Brian Spangler

Offline hotwatermusic

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 02:01:34 AM »
I too am interested. Good luck. I think I've seen some of your work, this should be good :drool:

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 05:51:01 PM »
Bit of a mixed result, managed to hole one, mishaped another couple and the char turned into burned for a couple of edges.  Crust was crisper and a bit more chewy than before, I had to put the doughballs in the fridge for 6 hours to stop it overfermenting.  Cooked for about 3 to 4 mins, between 300c and 350c .  Forgot how much I like 'nduja

1:Buffalo mozz, 'nduja
2: Chorizo, mushrooms, mozz  .  overtopped with sauce and managed to hole it :(
3: salami, caperberries, olives
4:  mozz, 'nduja, bits of others
5: mozz (galbani mini mozzarellas) mushrooms
6:  mini mozz, 'nduja, ccaperberries, olives
7: base
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 06:03:59 PM by Hanglow »

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 06:13:27 PM »
Hanglow,

I like the look of your pizzas, despite what you say about flaws in shaping and baking.  They have that "look" of traditional Tonda Romana.

An interesting thing I picked up from the Mieli video (from the other thread) is that because of the lower bake temps in this style, they are able to load up the oven to capacity (15 pizzas).  I assume this would restrict the pizzaiolo's ability to rotate the pies continually as in the Neapolitan method.  On the other hand, in the Giancarlo Casa videos, they constantly rotate the pizza, not only to save the bottom crust from over-charring but to protect the pizza rim, using the peel as a shield.  I don't think that's "normal" procedure for TR and it was only done because their oven was running hot.

All this to say that you'd probably have a more even bake if you lowered the oven temp by 50-80°C.  Just a thought.  BTW, the backyard oven looks great!

Rolls
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 10:06:32 PM by Rolls »
"I'm sure it's good... I just have the palate of a toddler."   - DreamingOfPizza

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 10:03:27 PM »
This is a delicious looking group of pizzas. Awesome.
-Tony
“Pizza is bread, after all.” - Brian Spangler

Offline Ari1985

• I Love Pizza!
    • Big pond digital
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 07:02:23 AM »
Looking good! I need try and get my pizzas nice and thin like that!

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 07:36:57 AM »
cheers guys

All this to say that you'd probably have a more even bake if you lowered the oven temp by 50-80°C.  Just a thought.  BTW, the backyard oven looks great!

Rolls

Thanks, I'll try that next time I try this style of pizza

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 04:34:30 PM »
I made some dough tonight for the weekend. Decided to just do idy and cold ferment as I don't know yet when I will cook it. This will be a neo neopolitan this time. The pizza flour from Mathews seems to be new from them, I bought a couple of packs from Lidl.

65% Mathews Cotswold pizza flour
35% Molina grassi 00
62% water
3% salt
0.25% idy

Edit: will eat Saturday evening. Currently tasting a British made buffalo mozzarella Vs garofalo. Both have a pleasant tang that the budget mozzarellas tend to lack. Other cheese is galbani cucina . Have decided against the scamorza. Other toppings so far are mushrooms, sweet peppers, and this salami which looks promising to be close to a proper pepperoni.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 08:10:02 AM by Hanglow »

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 08:18:35 AM »
Also don't buy canned napolina cherry tomatoes, they are bad- still with tough skins on, loads of seeds and not particularly tasty.  Also the Aldi sweet harvest plum toms are pretty poor too.  Both were budget priced so perhaps not surprising.

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 03:14:57 PM »
Was supposed to be nice weather today, of course that turned into a deluge. Still went ahead of course, even though my oven is at the bottom of the garden, meaning walking through the rain with a pizza ready to launch. Not ideal

Even with 4 hours at room temp, the dough was too cool and it was a bit too elastic.

Here's a couple of pizzas, both needed more top heat imo

Also did a sort of bread pocket with a base to see if it would  work,  I think it came out ok although it will be stale by tomorrow.

Offline dahatian

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 10:45:36 AM »
Pizzas look fantastic mate! My parents live over in south of Spain, been twisting their arm for years to get the same oven as you. or even have a full brick one built!! Very jealous.

What ingredients do you think are the best you've tried so far? Literally can't find anything I like so far from supermarkets. Tempted to just to some amazon orders.
I'm still using the galbani fresh moz and cirio peeled plum tomatoes, pulsed. Don't find either of them have much flavour!

Have you tried to make a pizza bianco yet? With the ricotta on.

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 03:36:42 PM »
Hi mate

I bought 10kg of Molina Grassi 00 off amazon, it's my favourite flour to use so far I think. 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010VAZDAA/?tag=pmak-20  . Good value too

However I have done tasty pizzas in the past with the likes of Allinsons bread flour. As long as you  salt, knead and ferment it properly it should work fine imo.   One other thing to keep an eye out for is the Mathews 00 pizza/pasta flour that will be in Aldi stores from next week I believe - it's a remilled semolina flour, so don't use it 100% of the flour for pizza but at 10% or so it's worth adding I think. Also  you can try other flours in moderation with a normal bread flour, like spelt for example, replacing 10% or so

For the tomatoes, I've always added some sugar and a bit of salt to the sauce as I find them lacking on their own as well.  You should have some Italian delis in manc that will have some of the other italian brands like mutti and strianese if you want to try a few of the san marzano ones.  One other thing I do though is to carefully pour out the tomatoes then open them up over another bowl, to drop out the water/seeds from inside, then I blend them

cheese, yeah the galbani mozarella is a bit tasteless.  the buffallo mozarellas from supermarkets have more taste but might be too fatty/watery for you, depending on what you want .

I have done a couple of ricotta based ones before, with things like aubergine, rosemary, artichoke hearts etc.  I want to do flammkuchen too soon

I'd definitely recommend getting a WFO/proper pizza oven over a standard home oven if you can, it's loads of fun and even when I cock up a pizza or two they tend to still be quite tasty :) .  It's the most expensive oven I've bought by quite a margin and although I only use it once every couple of weeks at the moment I don't have the slightest regret at all

Offline dahatian

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 03:26:28 AM »
Morning mate.

That's the one I was thinking of getting. I have a feeling the 00 waitrose flour I use has a semolina in.
I'll keep an eye out for that aldi one.

I haven't added sugar yet, I will try that. I just add a tonne of salt. Not using sugar anywhere, even in the dough so maybe that's one of my issues.
I've emailed a local deli, see what tom's they have, I'll try a few and let you know.

I love love love a creamier fatty Moz but my oven isn't strong enough so it will just be a big puddle probably. Maybe worth a go when I get a stone or steel.

Nice! Look forward to seeing the results mate! Wish I could afford a WFO but don't think it would go down well in our 2 bed flat. Need to twist my parents arms more so I can use it when I go over to their place

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 03:34:43 PM »
Pizza tomorrow. Was intending to do a RT 24h ferment, but when I measured the internal temperature of the dough it was a bit high so I have put it in the fridge for a few hours. Should be ok I think.

100% Molina grassi 00
62% water
2.8% salt
0.04% idy

I think I might try the sliced mozzarella you get from supermarkets as it lacks the starch they add to the pre grated stuff. Might mix in a bit of buffalo mozzarella too. Still got that scamorza too

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 02:41:35 PM »
The dough was incredibly slack by lunchtime so I reballed it which helped a bit.  Next time I'm going to drop the hydration a couple of percent and kneed it a bit more.

Cheese combo was excellent - Aldi buffalo mozzarella, the best supermarket buffalo mozzarella imo and only £1.19 a ball. That combined with some Morrisons presliced mozzarella that I grated worked well. Other toppings included saucisson sec, and Austrian  bier stangel, peppers, mushrooms, basil, olives, capers, anchovies. ( Not all at once).

My shaping still needs improvement but my new turning peel helped a lot.

Onwards and upwards

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 02:42:32 PM »
More. This was the last one, rather misshapen
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 02:53:33 PM by Hanglow »

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2018, 02:43:10 PM »
More