A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: WFO for smoking&low cooking/direct&indirect cooking/roasting with charcoal?  (Read 503 times)

Offline acolas

• I Love Pizza!
Good morning,

Some time ago I asked about WFO opinions and I finally put an order for an FGM 950B Raised for our house in California.

I am building a small grilling/BBQ area and I was planning to order to WFO, a Gas grill, gas burner and a Kamado Grill.

My question here is, does it make sense to get the Kamado Grill (Primo Kamado or Kamado Joe) or could I accomplish the same thing using my FGM 950B? Smoking, roasting, cooking with charcoal/wood?

As you know, cooking with fire and wood/charcoal gives a completely different flavor compared to gas.

Thank you so much for any help in advance, let me know what your thoughts are.

Online gtsum2

A kamado makes a lot of sense in that you can cook most anything you want from 180-900 degrees. Can be up to temp to cook in 20 minutes  vs hours for a wfo. Iíve had high end gassers (lynx) and kamados (Primo) in the past and would take a kamado most every time for the versatility and flavor. Would go well with your wfo

Offline acolas

• I Love Pizza!
A kamado makes a lot of sense in that you can cook most anything you want from 180-900 degrees. Can be up to temp to cook in 20 minutes  vs hours for a wfo. Iíve had high end gassers (lynx) and kamados (Primo) in the past and would take a kamado most every time for the versatility and flavor. Would go well with your wfo

Thanks for your reply! So you would not use the oven to ďreplaceĒ your kamado or at least cook in a similar way? In order to cook at low temps it should not take hours, perhaps 30í right? We are not bribing to oven at 800 degrees.

Offline jmiliz

• I Love Pizza!
Komodo would be easier for long smokes. Pork butt, Brisket, Ribs, etc. Komodo also easier if time is an issue as it can be up and running quicker than WFO.  I use  my WFO for roasting, steaks, wings but it does take longer to get ready and requires more attention during the cook so its limited to weekends and days off work for me. 

Offline acolas

• I Love Pizza!
Komodo would be easier for long smokes. Pork butt, Brisket, Ribs, etc. Komodo also easier if time is an issue as it can be up and running quicker than WFO.  I use  my WFO for roasting, steaks, wings but it does take longer to get ready and requires more attention during the cook so its limited to weekends and days off work for me.

Thank you! Will see what I can do.

Online Brent-r

• Supporting Member
  • Love the wood fired oven
We have a Green Egg and a small pizza oven and use them for very different effects.   The most dramatic is that we cook our
steaks in a Sous Vide at 129 deg F for a couple hours (from frozen)   Dry them,  yes really pat them dry with lots of paper towels, spice them and them go to the green egg.   We take out the upper fire ring of and put the grate down very low so when we have a hot fire really looking like a blacksmith's forge the steaks are almost being licked by the flames.  In 90 seconds or so the dried surface browns up in a crispy sear.  There is about 1/8" of greyed steak near each sear but the rest of the interior is perfect medium rare.  If you look at the pictures on TV of Ruth's Chris steak house steaks ... they look just like this result.   They get it more or less the same way. 

I don't think you can ever get this with a steak in a WFO.   So my vote is to go for both.

ps The importance of the drying must be emphasized.   If the surface of the steak is wet, you can only raise the surface temp to the boiling point .... and you don't get the sear / maillard effect at 212 deg.  It has to be dry to get up near 500 deg.  If you go for that with a wet steak surface you will have it on the fire too long and you'll get a lot of medium to well done meat. ( I guess that's fine if you like your steaks that way )
Brent

Offline jmiliz

• I Love Pizza!
I cook steaks the same way but this can also be done in the WFO. For a little smokey flavor I warm the steaks in fron of oven with hot wood coals in back. when steaks get around 115-120 deg I rake a bed of coals under a tuscan grill and sear the steaks a few minutes on each side. Works great but it is quicker to use the green egg. It takes a while for the wood to turn into coals.

Online gtsum2

Thanks for your reply! So you would not use the oven to ďreplaceĒ your kamado or at least cook in a similar way? In order to cook at low temps it should not take hours, perhaps 30í right? We are not bribing to oven at 800 degrees.

I would want options depending on what I was feeling the night of the cook. I currently have a Memphis pellet grill and a blackstone pizza cooker. Iím going to order a bollore I think for pizzas..Iím sure I could use the bollore for roasting things, but my Memphis will do it better (same with grilling). I can cook pizza on my Memphis at 700 degrees, but the result isnít as good as the blackstone or a wfo...different tools for different jobs:)

Offline acolas

• I Love Pizza!
Thanks everyone, I will probably get both.