A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Wood fired pizza blisters  (Read 983 times)

Offline JBfromLI

• I Love Pizza!
Wood fired pizza blisters
« on: December 22, 2018, 06:41:28 PM »
Hello all, Iíve been using my Pizza Party now for 3 months or so and Iím not too consistent with results. Today I made these pies. Any thoughts on why the large blacks blisters? Caputo OO flour , 62% hydration, about 48 cold ferment. The deck was about 825 F. These took 75 seconds or so to bake.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Wood fired pizza blisters
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 08:43:41 PM »
Cold dough? What was the temperature of the dough ball(s) when opened into skins?
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Little bean

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • DiLauroís Pizzeria
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 08:44:08 PM »
Hello all, Iíve been using my Pizza Party now for 3 months or so and Iím not too consistent with results. Today I made these pies. Any thoughts on why the large blacks blisters? Caputo OO flour , 62% hydration, about 48 cold ferment. The deck was about 825 F. These took 75 seconds or so to bake.

So you let the dough come up to room temperature before you bake or are you baking from cold? A lot of times that spottinb comes from cold dough.

Offline JBfromLI

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 09:17:54 PM »
Cold dough? What was the temperature of the dough ball(s) when opened into skins?

Iím not sure of the temp. I put the dough in my proofing box for about an hour at 77F. What should the dough temp be?

Offline JBfromLI

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 09:19:20 PM »
So you let the dough come up to room temperature before you bake or are you baking from cold? A lot of times that spottinb comes from cold dough.
That could well be it. I didnít measure the temp after I took it out of the proof box. It was only there for an hour.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 11:38:43 PM »
For many of us 77F is about room temperature and in most cases an hour isn't long enough, more typical is at least 2-hours, some go even longer.

Offline nickyr

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 02:00:25 AM »
While I cannot provide you with helpful info, I can say itís not necessarily a bad thing. Those blisters are part of the style at Talulaís in Asbury Park, NJ. I found their crust to be very tasty. You can see some pics on yelp: https://yelp.to/qTKq/7yMRRPWlSS

Offline JBfromLI

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 07:25:26 AM »
For many of us 77F is about room temperature and in most cases an hour isn't long enough, more typical is at least 2-hours, some go even longer.
Thanks so much for your advice Tom.

Offline JBfromLI

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 07:26:24 AM »
While I cannot provide you with helpful info, I can say itís not necessarily a bad thing. Those blisters are part of the style at Talulaís in Asbury Park, NJ. I found their crust to be very tasty. You can see some pics on yelp: https://yelp.to/qTKq/7yMRRPWlSS
Thanks for the encouragement! I noticed that too on some Instagram pics.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 07:48:04 AM »
Those are what are often referred to as "big cat spots" as opposed to the more traditional leoparding which is smaller (and more) spotting. Some folks/pizzerias like them - some don't.

I agree with the others that it's likely a result of extended cold fermenting and baking cold dough. Both favor larger spots. The 825F/75s bake probably contributed too. Hotter, faster bakes tend to favor more traditional spotting.

"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 07:49:51 AM »

I can't believe they served this pizza: https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/talulas-asbury-park?select=05LAARuGsu6iUBmkXY43yg
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline JBfromLI

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 08:39:56 AM »
Those are what are often referred to as "big cat spots" as opposed to the more traditional leoparding which is smaller (and more) spotting. Some folks/pizzerias like them - some don't.

I agree with the others that it's likely a result of extended cold fermenting and baking cold dough. Both favor larger spots. The 825F/75s bake probably contributed too. Hotter, faster bakes tend to favor more traditional spotting.
Thanks! When you refer to Ďtraditionalí you mean smaller/more spotting?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 09:49:07 AM »
Thanks! When you refer to Ďtraditionalí you mean smaller/more spotting?

Yes.

Offline nickyr

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 01:30:51 AM »
I can't believe they served this pizza: https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/talulas-asbury-park?select=05LAARuGsu6iUBmkXY43yg

Haha I would totally eat that. But I suspect Iím in the minority.

Online ARenko

• David
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 03:46:23 PM »
JBfromLI asked this question in the post a pic of your pie daily thread and I asked what his dough temp was, suggesting that it was too cold and may be the third error Enzo Coccia mentions in the below video (starting at 2:37).  Coccia calls them measles, and they are small.  Seems like a fine line between leoparding and measles.  I can hardly tell a difference between the video example and many pie pics I've seen.  Is it the "measles" are black, where leoparding is dark brown?  Is it a preference thing (some like the spots, some don't)?  Coccia calls them a defect.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 03:49:13 PM by ARenko »

Offline JBfromLI

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2018, 03:49:14 PM »
JBfromLI asked this question in the post a pic of your pie daily thread and I asked what his dough temp was, suggesting that it was too cold and may be the third error Enzo Coccia mentions in (starting at 2:37).  Coccia calls them measles, and they are small.  Seems like a fine line between leoparding and measles.  I can hardly tell a difference between the video example and many pie pics I've seen.  Is it the "measles" are black, where leoparding is dark brown?
What I donít like about mine is the contrast between the black ďmeaslesĒ against the white crust. I like smaller black measles against a darker crust.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2018, 04:47:36 PM »
Getting your oven temperature up around 850 to 900F (or more) will help in that respect.

Offline JBfromLI

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 07:19:14 PM »
This is my latest. 72 hours cold ferment. I took the dough out 6 hours before baking. I am happier with how these turned out. My son isnít much of a cheese fan so his side is tomato only.

Thanks for all your help!

Offline nickyr

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 10:20:01 PM »
Beautiful!

Offline JBfromLI

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 05:55:22 AM »