A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Dough balls have rips in them??  (Read 372 times)

Offline Gam_gee

• I Love Pizza!
Dough balls have rips in them??
« on: February 10, 2019, 11:47:09 AM »
EDIT: pics in comments

Hello, I am brand new to this forum and to homemade pizza making. Iíve been following Joe Beddiaís dough recipe from Pizza Camp, but my dough balls do not look like his pictures! Instead of being smooth and stretchy, they tend to be more dense/less stretchy, and they tend to have rip marks after I create the ballóalmost like theyíre ripping open.

Hereís my process:

Mix 1 1/2 cups cool water with 1/2 tsp active dry yeast, 2 tsp sugar, and 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.

Then mix in 3 1/2 cups flour. Iím using King Arthur all purpose.

Let that sit for about 20 minutes, then add about a tsp of fine sea salt.

Knead by hand for 8-10 minutes.

Cover in bowl and let rest in refrigerator over night.

After 24 hours, I take out of the refrigerator, cut in half, and form two balls.

One thing Iíve noticed is that when I take it out of the refrigerator, it feels kinda hard or dense I guess you could say. It isnít very tacky, and it doesnít stretch down if I grab and hold it up. Then forming the balls is difficult as it doesnít want to stick together and incorporate well. Then I get the above ripping problem.

Any tips for solving this?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 12:17:43 PM by Gam_gee »

Offline Gam_gee

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Dough balls have rips in them??
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 11:48:53 AM »
Here are some pics of my dough balls and the problems Iím having.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 12:32:04 PM »
The problem you're experiencing is due to insufficient gluten development. In your case I think it might be due to less than ideal biochemical gluten development caused by improper use of ADY complicated by a cooler than what might be desired finished dough temperature.
Doing the easy things first, try suspending the ADY in a SMALL portion of warm (100F/use a thermometer) and letting it stand for 10-minutes to activate, then add it to the cool (measure the temperature) water. I would start with 70 to 75F water temperature and target as finished dough temperature (after kneading) of 80 to 85F. Then proceed as you normally do.
Suggestion: After the dough has been in the fridge for 2 to 3-hours divide it to make your dough balls, lightly oil each dough ball and place back into the fridge for the remainder of the CF period. When ready to use remove from fridge, allow to warm AT room temperature until the dough reaches 50 to 60F, then turn the dough ball out of its container onto a flour dusted surface and open into a skin for immediate use.
Let us know how this works for you.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Gam_gee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 01:13:22 PM »
Excellent. Thank you!!

Offline Gam_gee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 08:40:53 PM »
The problem you're experiencing is due to insufficient gluten development. In your case I think it might be due to less than ideal biochemical gluten development caused by improper use of ADY complicated by a cooler than what might be desired finished dough temperature.
Doing the easy things first, try suspending the ADY in a SMALL portion of warm (100F/use a thermometer) and letting it stand for 10-minutes to activate, then add it to the cool (measure the temperature) water. I would start with 70 to 75F water temperature and target as finished dough temperature (after kneading) of 80 to 85F. Then proceed as you normally do.
Suggestion: After the dough has been in the fridge for 2 to 3-hours divide it to make your dough balls, lightly oil each dough ball and place back into the fridge for the remainder of the CF period. When ready to use remove from fridge, allow to warm AT room temperature until the dough reaches 50 to 60F, then turn the dough ball out of its container onto a flour dusted surface and open into a skin for immediate use.
Let us know how this works for you.

Well Iíve been following your advice, and my pizzas are much improved. The dough has been great. Thanks!

Hereís a pic of one of my pizzas from tonight.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 09:47:13 PM »
Lookin' good!  :chef:

wordpress