A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Please recommend how much AT flour for 16" thin crust, small rim, NY pizza  (Read 280 times)

Offline MrJames

• I Love Pizza!
My head is swimming after reading so many posts and topics here in the past two weeks.

I just made a roughly 12" pizza using Tony Gemignani's Master Dough recipe in his bible. This was half the dough, using AT flour and a four day cold ferment and long warmup. No cheese or mushrooms, only dry sauteed: onion slices, a can of drained diced tomatoes, green pepper slices, and some Wegmans Pizza sauce. Nothing else. I used the evilrolling pin plus hand stretching. A thin crust. Baked at 500 degrees, gas oven.

This was a fine pizza, one I'd buy again in a shop. But that AT crust was unbelievable. Chewy, several different tastes even in the small rims that were nothing but dough. Wow. It was so much better than the two day ferment in the other half of that dough. I had to eat every last bit of that rim.

Tom, I realize I'll have to experiment some when scaling up to 16" but this beginner would be grateful for any help on dough formulas for a thin NY crust, very small rim, 16" pie, using the AT flour (non bromated). I've already put 16" circles on my aluminum and wood peels as you cleverly suggested in another post.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Please recommend how much AT flour for 16" thin crust, small rim, NY pizza
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 09:16:56 PM »
If you're scaling up from 12-inch to 16-inch the surface area of a 12-inch circle is 113-square inches and the surface area of a 16-inch circle is 201-square inches (those numbers are rounded off). The difference being 88-square inches so if we divide 88 by 113 = 77.876 (78) we see that a 16-inch pizza is 78% larger than a 12-inch pizza so all things equal a good place to start is to scale your dough ball weights 78% heavier than you do for the 12-inch format. Ditto for cheese and sauce. While not 100% accurate this will get you very close to where you want to be.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline MrJames

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Please recommend how much AT flour for 16" thin crust, small rim, NY pizza
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 09:08:51 AM »
If you're scaling up from 12-inch to 16-inch the surface area of a 12-inch circle is 113-square inches and the surface area of a 16-inch circle is 201-square inches (those numbers are rounded off). The difference being 88-square inches so if we divide 88 by 113 = 77.876 (78) we see that a 16-inch pizza is 78% larger than a 12-inch pizza so all things equal a good place to start is to scale your dough ball weights 78% heavier than you do for the 12-inch format. Ditto for cheese and sauce. While not 100% accurate this will get you very close to where you want to be.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Thank you for the info and the very quick reply. I didn't realize it would be that simple. Very close is good enough.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress