A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anyone actually par bake with a dough presser?  (Read 196 times)

Offline Panzudo

• I Love Pizza!
Anyone actually par bake with a dough presser?
« on: February 17, 2019, 06:26:02 PM »
http://doughxpress.com/d-txe-2-18-auto-electric

This unit contains a claim that it par bakes. i haven't found any online demos or feedback about this feature.
I am wondering if it could par bake a dough that would then be topped and frozen for home consumer retail sale.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Online The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Anyone actually par bake with a dough presser?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 06:38:54 PM »
The DoiughXPress like the DooughPro press and all other hot presses, DOES NOT create a par-baked crust in any way, shape or form. Anyone who tries to tell you that it does doesn't know what they're talking about. The hot press heats the dough to both relax it for ease of forming under the press head and to help it retain its shape after press forming. If the heat is applied to both sides of the skin during forming like it is with the Little Toro hot press from AM-Manufacturing the heat creates a dry skin on the surface of the crust which allows it to be placed directly onto a belt/conveyor for further proofing prior to further processing such as dressing and or baking or even freezing.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Panzudo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 06:53:52 PM »
That's what I'm kinda thinking. Despite the claims of the manufacturer stating that both "plates" can reach temperatures of 450F and ParBake the crust, I have not seen any online comments or videos to support this.

Are they simply using the term incorrectly?

Online The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 07:27:41 PM »
It's kinda hard to use the term "par-bake" incorrectly. Like you, I've heard these types of claims before but they were made many years ago back before most people really understood what hot pressing was all about. I launched a huge campaign to educate people on hot pressing of pizza crusts more than 30-years ago and to dispel the false belief that hot pressing actually par-baked the dough/crust at the same time as forming. I guess I missed a few people. Your beliefs are spot-on and if you ever find any validation to a hot pressed crust being par-baked as it is being formed please let me know. During the hot press forming of the dough into a skin only the outer surface area of the dough get hot, not the center section (which is still raw). In order for a dough/crust to be par-baked  it must reach a minimum internal temperature of 180F but most will target 185 or even 190F to ensure the crust is thoroughly baked (par-baked means that the product is fully baked BUT without the development of crust color or minimal crust color).
Your instincts are good! :)
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress