A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizzeria Beddia Dough with starter?  (Read 274 times)

Offline JH Ackman

• Pizza Nerd
Pizzeria Beddia Dough with starter?
« on: February 20, 2019, 03:25:48 PM »
Just curious to know if anyone has tried making Joe's dough recipe (from his book) without the ADY and instead used a natural leavening.  I really like the way his pies cook up.  I know that some have made mention of the high salt content but I really dig it.  I played around with lower amounts and really did not care for it as much.

I bake in an electric oven, on steel,  at 550 and a WFO at around 650.  I have used the exact same recipe without an adjustment to hydration levels in both ovens and have enjoyed them both. 

Basically, I want to see if I can get a bit more boost in flavor in this dough.  I typically use KA bread flour.  OR if anyone has another dough recipe suggestion that would create something like his I am all ears.

Thanks pizza family.

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizzeria Beddia Dough with starter?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 09:22:25 PM »
What is the recipe and method used?? Pretty sure Tom doesn't know Joe's recipe... or at least not off the top of his head. I may be wrong though... ;)

Offline JH Ackman

• Pizza Nerd
Re: Pizzeria Beddia Dough with starter?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 10:33:50 AM »
No problem.

The recipe for making two dough balls around 450g each is as follows:
355 g cool water
8g of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of ADY
13g of EVOO
500 g bread flour
20g of fine sea salt

Whisk water with sugar and yeast followed by EVOO.

Next, add in flour and mix with a stand mixer (or by hand) for 5 minutes on slow speed with a dough hook.

Let the dough rest for 30 min before adding salt and knead until smooth.

Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill in a refrigerator for 24 hours.

After 24 hours,  remove dough from bowl and shape into a smooth ball before cutting into two pieces.

Stretch and shape dough balls.  Let rest, covered with a kitchen towel until they double in size.  This can take anywhere from 2-4 hours depending on room temp.

All his pies in the home oven bake at 500-550 for about 10 minutes.

I bake in an electric oven on a 1/4 inch steel at 550.  When using my WFO, I am around 600-650 for around 6 minutes.

Hopefully, this helps.  Thanks folks.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T