A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: How to get rid of the water/Apizza Scholls  (Read 116135 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: How to get rid of the water/Apizza Scholls
« Reply #320 on: February 07, 2019, 04:01:30 PM »
Ira,

The correct answer on the salt is 2.18671%. It is the Total Dough Formulation where all of the correct baker's percents are. I included the baker's percents in the other places because I was trying to include the numbers that Brian provided.

FYI, there is another way to state the Final Dough that would avoid the problem you see. For example, Norma once asked me to convert a Lehmann style dough into a preferment based dough, and I used the same approach as discussed in this thread but with a different way of reciting the Final Dough (Mix). See Reply 62 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9908.msg86667#msg86667

There were a few other number tweaks but I discussed what they were.

Peter

Offline tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
« Reply #321 on: February 08, 2019, 01:04:51 AM »
Some of my percentages in the final formula are a result of me noodling to try to get agreement between the amounts in the top section, the preferment, and the final dough.  I just adjusted the percentages until everything added up.  At that number of decimal points it is all academic anyway, unless you're cooking on an aircraft carrier. 

I should also point out that at the top you can select thé number of dough balls and the weight of each. I selected 4 dough balls at 250 each for a total flour weight of 1,000 because it's easier to see what's happening with 1,000 grams vs. an odd number. 

In the old formula things were a bit easier.  We just took 20% of the total flour and an equal amount of water for the preferment.  With the new recipe there is a kind of internal calculation that has to take place that makes it harder for an amateur like me to calculate the quantity of the preferment. Peter calculated the percentages so I used the 21% for the flour and did bakers percentages off of that based on Brian's formula.  It's not perfect but I think it works.  You have more of a mathematician's mind than I do. 

Thanks for reviewing my spreadsheet so carefully!

BTW I totally agree with you on the salt percentages. Needlessly confusing and unnecessary.  But I felt compelled to use the bakers percentage even though there's no real need for it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 01:16:01 AM by tinroofrusted »

Offline ira

• I try to cook Pizza!
« Reply #322 on: February 08, 2019, 01:36:16 AM »
Glad my comments are useful.

I think my spreadsheet now properly supports starters or preferments or neither or both. Well, I think it's correct but I only discovered this stuff recently so not sure if my understanding is completely correct.

www.curmudgeoncoffee.com/downloads/PizzaCalculator.zip

Ira

Offline tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
« Reply #323 on: February 08, 2019, 09:25:02 PM »
Hi Ira,

Really nice job on the spreadsheet.  Very well done!  Thanks. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline ira

• I try to cook Pizza!
« Reply #324 on: February 08, 2019, 10:16:14 PM »
At some point it got messed up and I'm not sure how good it was when I uploaded it last night, so there is a new version there now.

And I'm open to suggestions for improving it.

Ira

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
« Reply #325 on: February 10, 2019, 10:34:18 PM »
Made this formula again. A few tweaks...uped the yeast inthe final dough b/c f the mass effect; CF as balls 48hrs. Did 200g ball with central milling unmalted 00 at the 65% hydro.

Really liked the results. Crispy, thin, good color and spotting at 4:00-4:20 @ 675-700 in a blackstone.

This round achieved the closest to what I'm looking for that I've ever gotten. I'll circle bak around to try it at 65% with the t85 and at 180g balls to see if either gets me the rest of the way. I'm at 98% satisfied. if this is as good as it gets, I'm happy.

I've also been working on the Rad TImes formunla from another thread.

The interesting thing I noticed was how simular it is to Brian's formula except it uses 15% young start instead of poolish.

I think i recall seeing a reference on A. Falco's IG to his guru 'sfspanky'. I laughed out loud at the reference. 

I was albe to beg some starter off a guy who does Tartine style bread cottage food style from his house. 

I'm curious to see how much different the poolish version and the natulrally feremented are; and which I prefer. Idon't have any experience with naturally fermented doughs.

It's be a few weeks before I'm able to test...have help a buddy with a catering next weekend.

the pizzas are: Zoe's pepperoni and cheese; mushroom and pistachio-green olive salsa verde w/ calabrian chilies; potato and choirzo.

thanks again to Brian, Pete, the whole PM community.

Offline mrmafix

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #326 on: February 12, 2019, 02:38:48 PM »
Any tips for the sauce?

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #327 on: February 24, 2019, 12:41:37 PM »
Brian, thank you so much for sharing the updated version of your recipe!

I had my bachelor party in Portland and bringing my boys to your restaurant was one of the highlights of the trip. Everyone said it was the best pizza they ever had.

I was wondering, what is your process of mixing with the spiral mixer? Is there an order to adding the ingredients and a process to mixing, or do you simply add all at once and mix on low for 8 mins? Thanks!

Offline mrmafix

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #328 on: May 09, 2019, 01:24:49 AM »
If I want to use sourdough instead of IDY in the poolish and in the second mix, anyone have suggestions for amount?

Offline pkasten

• Pizzas of the world unite!
« Reply #329 on: December 15, 2019, 07:30:18 PM »
The pizza texture was exactly what I was looking for in the end. Right now, I feel my dough is the best it’s ever been.

Hi Brian, I'm a bit late to the discussion but have to agree with you there.  I was lucky enough to snag the last Saturday night pie on a recent visit to PDX, and it was hands down my favorite pizza of a trip that included a bunch of shops in New Haven and New York.  I went in with very high expectations as always, and your crew knocked it out of the park.  I've had a whole lot of your pizza over the years, and can't think of a better one.  I haven't smiled so much before, during and after dinner in a long time!  Thank you big time for that.

Cheers from Australia!
Paul

wordpress