A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Time to update the Pizza recipe page?  (Read 601 times)

Offline stevenfstein

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Time to update the Pizza recipe page?
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2019, 05:01:36 PM »
Going to try Brians recipe but noticed in the later threads that he does not use oil anymore. Since I probably won't have access to the flours he uses, would I have better results with the original recipe (using oil) posted on the dough generator page or the later 2019 update sans oil using KABF.

Best... Steve

Offline CaptBob

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2019, 07:56:25 PM »
Going to try Brians recipe but noticed in the later threads that he does not use oil anymore. Since I probably won't have access to the flours he uses, would I have better results with the original recipe (using oil) posted on the dough generator page or the later 2019 update sans oil using KABF.

Best... Steve

Steve.....I stopped using oil a while back and haven't missed it a bit. You'll be fine without it.
Bob

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2019, 10:05:47 PM »
http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=8

HansB:  I have never done a poolish.  A few questions.

First it says make the poolish - Mix the preferment water and flour together, and add a very small amount of Instant Dry Yeast (.03%).
Is the water, flour and yeast the preferment?  Is the .03% yeast equal to .03% of the flour in the poolish?

Next - When the autolyse is complete, add the yeast, (and other ingredients).  How much yeast?  Above was .03% and the ingredients call for 0.04%.   Is this .04% is for the remaining amount of flour.

It's a bit confusing.

Scott K.
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/stock bricks

Online HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2019, 10:43:17 PM »
That is a bit confusing. I'm not familiar with his process but I'd add ~.03% to the poolish like it says...I usually just use a pinch in poolish. Then use .04% of the remaining flour weight in the final dough. There is so little yeast in this formula that you won't over do it.
Hans

Offline CaptBob

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2019, 11:36:28 PM »
I've been doing this recipe for a long time.....and I've always thought of the quantity of IDY in terms of the TOTAL weight of the recipe flour. Also.....I eventually ended up increasing the formula IDY to .08% of TOTAL flour. Still very low as Hans said. Having said that....I split the total IDY evenly between the poolish and final mix. in addition....I'm doing a 30% poolish...of total flour. I should mention that I made these adjustments to the recipe because I usually do a 3 or 4 day cold ferment. Your mileage may vary!!😊
Bob

Offline stevenfstein

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2019, 08:20:28 AM »
Morning, getting closer to understanding what I'm supposed to do but have a couple of questions. It states to "Mix poolish and allow to ferment at 75F for 14 hours". My kitchen does not get to 75F, probably 68 - 70. How much extra yeast should I increase it by. On the stretch and fold - do I do that in the mixing bowl or have I taken the dough out and put it on the counter and is the dough covered during the bulk phase and with what?

Regards...  Steve

Offline CaptBob

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2019, 09:32:36 AM »
Steve.....my house and kitchen are usually around 68 to 70....you'll be fine and you don't need to increase the yeast to compensate. Also, you can be a bit flexible with the timing of the poolish. I've used it after as little as 12 hours and as long as 18 hours.

I just grab the dough out of the bowl, do the stretch and folds, and put it back in the bowl. Be sure and keep it covered during this phase so that it doesn't dry out and "skin over". I use Press and Seal.
Regarding stretch and folds...don't be to aggressive. If you see the surface starting to tear, the dough is talking to you. Back off and let it rest. Sometimes, you may end up doing fewer stretch and folds. The dough will "tell" you.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!
Bob

Offline Irishboy

• Always do it with passion
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2019, 11:36:58 AM »
Steve.....my house and kitchen are usually around 68 to 70....you'll be fine and you don't need to increase the yeast to compensate. Also, you can be a bit flexible with the timing of the poolish. I've used it after as little as 12 hours and as long as 18 hours.

I just grab the dough out of the bowl, do the stretch and folds, and put it back in the bowl. Be sure and keep it covered during this phase so that it doesn't dry out and "skin over". I use Press and Seal.
Regarding stretch and folds...don't be to aggressive. If you see the surface starting to tear, the dough is talking to you. Back off and let it rest. Sometimes, you may end up doing fewer stretch and folds. The dough will "tell" you.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Bob what temp is your frig?

From what I understandyou basically follow his recipe but you use beer in your poolish?

Do you follow his directions on the room temperature stretch and folds for the amount of hours he does and then put the dough balls in the fridge?

I'd be curious to hear how you have your twist on it and your workflow? I've always wanted to experiment with the beer and try your method one time
Josh

Offline CaptBob

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2019, 02:51:36 PM »

Bob what temp is your frig?

From what I understandyou basically follow his recipe but you use beer in your poolish?

Do you follow his directions on the room temperature stretch and folds for the amount of hours he does and then put the dough balls in the fridge?

I'd be curious to hear how you have your twist on it and your workflow? I've always wanted to experiment with the beer and try your method one time

Josh....I usually use beer for the poolish but if I'm out I'll use water. I do use the RT work flow that the recipe calls for. The dough sits for 45 minutes after the last stretch and fold and is then balled and placed in the fridge. My fridge is set at 37F.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 02:53:07 PM by CaptBob »
Bob

Offline Irishboy

• Always do it with passion
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2019, 03:34:20 PM »
Ty sir
Josh

wordpress