A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Dough Storage - Which Sheet Pans?  (Read 247 times)

Offline hotsawce

Dough Storage - Which Sheet Pans?
« on: March 05, 2019, 02:12:25 AM »
Hey Tom,

I've been doing a lot of research on dough storage and in a small space, I really only have the option of sheet pans (plastic or aluminum) covered with a plastic bun-pan bag (1.5 cents per dough ball cost - I think quicker and worth it over trying to wrap the whole pan in shrink film.) The second option is individually wrapping, but I like the idea of sheet pans.

I know you said plastic is insulating - would you recommend aluminum?

My primary concern has to do with my dough process and condensation. I have used sheet pans in the past at different operations, and even in the same ones sometimes the dough would glue itself to the sheet tray - other times it would pop right out no issues. I've never really noticed condensation issues, but the dough has been sticky and slack in the past (I'm guessing more than likely due to errors during mixing and not the management process itself - particularly given the fact different batches have been fine.)

My dough process, because I'm so limited on space, is a preferment in combination with instant dry yeast. I then let the doughs proof at room temp (limited space, so no cold fermenting for days...) and I use limited fridge space to hold cold.

Do you see any issues I might have with condensation or sticking, and if so how I might combat that? Maybe dusting the sheet pans with flour before placing balls down? misting the top of the balls with olive oil or flour before bagging? Maybe leaving them exposed to air for 10 minutes or so to take some moisture out of the top of the balls?

Any suggestions for sheet pan management would be sincerely appreciated. I read your PMQ article, but it largely applied to balling and going right into the walkin.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Dough Storage - Which Sheet Pans?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 09:56:21 AM »
I don't like the plastic or fiberglass sheet pans for the reasons you cited so go with the aluminum pans as they will promote better cooling of the dough balls, keep the dough temperature (finished dough temperature) in the 70 to 75F range, lightly dust the pans with flour,  place the dough balls onto the pan, oil the top of each dough ball, slip a plastic bag over the pan of dough balls, fold bottom flap up and top flap down and tuck under the pan to secure (DO NOT TIE). You will need to use a PLASTIC scraper to remove the dough balls from the pan (S.O.P.).
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

A D V E R T I S E M E N T