A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: the effects of garlic powder in dough  (Read 318 times)

Offline jkaye01

• I Love Pizza!
the effects of garlic powder in dough
« on: March 07, 2019, 03:20:52 AM »
hello Doctor,

In my neverending quest to improve my pizzas i'm still trying to get the finished crust to be more..... well, for a lack of a better word, rubber-like. I already fiddled with the recipe, temperature and baking times and i'm rather happy with the result but it's still not perfect in my own oppinion.  I remember hearing from you that garlic powder can make dough more extensible, does that mean it's just easier to work with when opening into skins or does the end result come out softer as well? If so, in what percentages should the powder be added? I'm using a tiny bit right now but it's not giving me the result i want.

I'm baking at around 650f on a deck oven for about 5 minutes -5:30 and the pizzas come out soft and tender, i'm using 240grams of dough for a 12 inch pizza so it's intended to be halfway between thin and thick style, however my one gripe is that it's not elastic enough. i don't want it to be dry and crack when you pick up a slice and fold the rim, i want it to snap back and be elastic, kinda like rubber. And i know it's possible cause my favorite pizza place does it like that (way back in my hometown). i've never seen a pizza crust behave like that and i want to recreate it. you can leave the pizza in the fridge overnight and it's still soft and tender the next day.

can this be achieved by a particular dough management procedure or is  there some kind of secret additive they use that makes it more extensible and less likely to harden and become tough like a cracker?

my recipe is:
100% flour
60% water
0.4% IDY
salt 1.5%
vegetable oil 2%
sugar 1.7%
potato flakes 1.9%
ground pepper 0.1%
garlic powder 0.1%

thank you!

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
Re: the effects of garlic powder in dough
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 09:06:11 AM »
jkaye01,

Until Tom gets back to the forum, you might like to read this brief article he wrote on garlic powder in PMQ magazine:

http://www.pmq.com/February-2011/In-Lehmanns-terms-saving-time-and-adding-garlic/

Rolls
"There's nothing wrong with having a tree as a friend."  -Bob Ross

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Offline MarkDouma

• My goal: a low-carb yeast-risen pizza dough
Re: the effects of garlic powder in dough
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 05:30:09 PM »
What kind of flour are you using?

A D V E R T I S E M E N T