A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: New to making dough by hand  (Read 211 times)

Offline jmbarnett

• Pie Guy
New to making dough by hand
« on: March 07, 2019, 01:22:26 PM »
I first started making dough with a food processor which was a giant mess but turned out well.  Then, i had a roommate for a few years that hand a stand mixer so i started making my dough that way.  i still have the food processor but most recently tried making dough by hand using a dough whisk.  below is my recipe. 

00 flour, 1 cup plus 1 tbsp
All-purpose flour, 1 cup plus 1 tbsp and 2 tsp
Fine sea sat, 1 tsp
Active dry yeast, tsp
EVOO, 1 tsp
Lukewarm tap water, 1 cup (little less than one cup actually)

Directions
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flours and salt
2. In small mixing bowl, stir together lukewarm tap water, the yeast and olive oil
3. Knead with hands (or dough whisk) for three minutes.  Let mixture rest for 15 minutes
4. Knead rested dough for three minutes then divide into two equal pieces.  Cover with olive oil.
5. Place on heavily floured cookie sheet, cover with saran wrap, flatten by hand and place in refrigerator for 48-72 hours.
6. Remove from refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 30-45 minutes before shaping into a pizza

Yield: 2 thin 12 pizzas

Are there any glaring issues with this recipe?  Any recommendations? 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: New to making dough by hand
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 04:23:56 PM »
Josh,

Tom Lehmann is currently attending the pizza expo in Nevada but if he were here on the forum today I think he would say that it is difficult to provide a good answer to some of your questions because you are using volume measurements, and volume measurements for the flours and water can vary quite widely from one person to another because of different measurement methods. You can see several of the ways that people measure out ingredients like flour volumetrically at the left hand side of the page at https://www.pizzamaking.com/FoodSim.htm (under Measurement Method for flours). If you have a decent scale or access to one, it would help if you weigh the flours and water the next time you make the dough. That would allow us to calculate the baker's percents for the various ingredients and to speak more authoritatively about your recipe.

Also, I suspect that Tom would tell you that you should prehydrate the ADY in only a small amount of the total water--about five times the weight of the ADY. That small amount of water should be at around 105 degrees F and the ADY should be prehydrated in that water for about ten minutes. It can then be added to the rest of the water, which should be at a temperature to achieve a finished dough temperature of around 70-75 degrees F. If all of your water is warm, you are unlikely to achieve that targeted finished dough temperature.

Tom also advocates that one add the oil to the dough after an initial mix of the dough but the amount you are using is on the low side and the delayed oil addition may not be needed. Nonetheless, it is a good habit to get into.

Peter

A D V E R T I S E M E N T