A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Scaling Calculator or Spreadsheet  (Read 227 times)

Offline hotsawce

Scaling Calculator or Spreadsheet
« on: March 29, 2019, 03:06:14 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has a calculator that can help me scale ingredient weights as pie sizes change. For example, I have the weights of ingredients for a 20" pie I really enjoy and would like to scale that, proportionally, to 18" and 12".

Ie, sauce and cheese amounts. The dough seems to scale through the lehmann calculator pretty easily based on TF.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Scaling Calculator or Spreadsheet
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 04:22:09 PM »
The dough loading factor also works well for both sauce and cheese too.
The dough loading factor aka thickness factor is calculated by dividing the dough weight by the square inches of your pizza, by using this factor X the square inches of the new diameter you can find your dough weight for the new size. If you divide the sauce or cheese weight by the square inches in your pizza you will get a sauce or cheese loading factor that is used in the same manner to calculate the amount of sauce or cheese for the new size pizza.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 04:32:30 PM »
Remember that pie diameter vs. pie area and pie diameter vs. pie topping area have different slopes due to the rim.
John

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 05:57:48 PM »
Assuming the rim dimension is about the same for each of the different sizes this gets you pretty close. If you want, you can also use percentage of surface area differential to calculate the amounts, for example, going from a 12-inch to a 14-inch the difference is 36% (the 14-inch pizza is 36% larger so you will need to use roughly 36% more dough, sauce and cheese).
12-inch = 113 sq. in.
14- inch = 154 sq.in.
difference is 41 sq. in.
41 divided by 113 X 100 = 36.28% difference
All numbers were rounded to simplify the math.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

A D V E R T I S E M E N T