A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Italian and black olive pizza, Shakey's style  (Read 348 times)

Offline shakeys

• I Love Pizza!
Italian and black olive pizza, Shakey's style
« on: April 10, 2019, 09:10:35 AM »
I have made more progress in my quest to re-create what, for my tastes, is my most favorite pizza of all times:  the Shakey's Italian sausage and black olive pizza they made back in the early 1960's.
Using the Italian sausage recipe I posted in the thread "Shakey's Italian sausage of yesteryear," I made a 15" pizza.  It is as close to what I remember I would enjoy at Shakey's back in the 1960's. 
Should anyone want, I will post the recipe I used for the dough, the sauce, and the cheese blend.

Offline pepmusholiv

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Italian and black olive pizza, Shakey's style
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 07:06:36 PM »
Should anyone want, I will post the recipe I used for the dough, the sauce, and the cheese blend.

Please do post - how could we not want that?

Offline shakeys

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 11:16:13 PM »
Pepmusholiv:  Thanks - glad to do it.  I will do it in three separate replies so as to prevent one very long post.
The cheese blend I used is as follows:
16 oz. Fresh mozzarella
5 oz. Provolone
4 oz. Young Gouda
2 oz. cheddar
Of course this makes far more cheese than is needed for one pizza, but the fresh mozzarella came in a sixteen ounce package, so my cheese blend was based on that sixteen ounces.
I do not have a memory of what the cheese tasted like on the Shakey's pizza's back in the 1960's, so all I can say is that his blend tastes good to me.  If someone has a better idea of what Shakey's used in the way of cheese on their pizza's back then, I would be pleased to hear about it.

Offline shakeys

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 11:23:29 PM »
I found the following web site that had a recipe for a clone of Shakey's pizza sauce:
https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/shakeys-pizza-sauce-clone/528569
As the only SuperDolce Super Sweet, Super Heavy Pizza Sauce I could find was 88 oz. cans of it on Amazon, here is the recipe I extrapolated:
One 6 lb. 13 oz. (88 oz. of sauce) can of SuperDolce Super Sweet, Super Heavy Pizza Sauce
2.2 tsp. dried minced onion
2.2 tsp. dried basil leaves
1.1 tsp. ground oregano
3 tbsp. garlic powder
2 cups dextrose
10.6 oz. Carpineto Vino Nobile Di Montepulciano wine
1.1 cup of water

Makes 3 quarts of sauce
I could not get the wine recommended in the recipe, so what I used was, according the the liquor store's wine expert, was a wine close to it.

Offline shakeys

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 11:26:27 PM »
Here is the recipe for the dough:
1 2/3 cups of white flour
1 tablespoons of pizza crust yeast
2/3 cup warm water
1 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and sugar.  Knead the dough for ten minutes, then add the olive oil and knead another two minutes.  Cover and let rise.
Admittedly, it was not as much like the cracker type crust I think I remember from the old Shakey's days, but it tastes O.K. to me.  However, I have further work to do in making more of a cracker type crust.

Offline shakeys

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 02:52:21 PM »
I have two alterations to mention in regard the the above-mentioned recipes:  the cheese blend, and the dough.
In the pizza pictured, I used the following cheese recipe/blend:
16 oz. of fresh Mozzarella
6 oz. of aged Asiago
I shredded these two cheeses and mixed them together.  I like this combination better than the cheese blend recipe I noted earlier.
While I knew it would get me further away from the Shakey's Italian sausage and black olive pizza of yesteryear that I loved so much, I substituted 100% whole wheat flour for the white flour in the pizza dough recipe.  (I buy hard red wheat berries from Joseph's Grainery and grind them into flour.)  But, I know 100% whole wheat is healthier for me than white flour.  I did like the taste of the whole wheat crust - it is certainly more "robust" than crust with white flour, and of course does have a different flavor from crust with white flour.  And, I will likely use whole wheat flour again at times in the future. 

wordpress