A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: I want my oven on my balcony... What should I do?  (Read 525 times)

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
I want my oven on my balcony... What should I do?
« on: April 12, 2019, 10:01:34 PM »
Hi everybody,

I'm going to move to another apartment within next year and there will be a nice balcony, where I plan to get a gas fired oven  >:D (GFO?).

I have many questions/hesitations/thoughts, and I'd appreciate your inputs:

1) My first choice was to get a Roccbox. But then I thought the complex management wouldn't let me get in with a gas bottle (all apartments are connected to natural gas) :-X And Roccbox can not be used with natural gas (I contacted them and asked). So I went on next the idea:

2) Build my own oven putting a gas burner (I saw this before, and I've had the idea for a long time). I would buy the circle bricks (enclosed pic) and make half cylinder shape, with a square basis. Then I'd add the adapted gas burner (see 3D design for the idea).
But 2 problems if building my own GFO:
- one problem would be to bring a gas hose from the kitchen (either a long one going around the living room to the balcony or make a hole in the wall, as the kitchen is behind, but I'm not sure I'm allowed to do that).
- the second would be the construction itself, I never made masonry before, and I don't have my "uncle" or "dad" or "friend" who can come to help me!! Besides, I don't want to buy bricks that are not food-safe grade. I read that there are refractory bricks with different levels of aluminum among others, and I'm not sure if I can get the real info from those suppliers.

3) So last idea was to buy a made-in-China WFO (enclosed last pic), still adding the gas burner because I definitely can't use wood. But the price of this oven is quite expensive (more than Roccbox), and it's quite big, I don't even know if it fits the balcony.

After having thought a lot about this 3 solutions, a Chinese friend told me that I could use gas bottle in an apartment, there is home appliance gas bottle. Cool, right?!
So now I would go for the Roccbox, but I'm still hesitating with home-made because there would be so much pride in making it myself!! ;D And the cost would also be less that half the Roccbox... :-X

So if you were in my shoes, what would you do??
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 10:06:16 PM by Yael »
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline barryvabeach

Re: I want my oven on my balcony... What should I do?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 07:41:18 AM »
If you can use bottled gas, you should look at the many commercial options available.  I don't see any need to construct your own oven, which would be a ton of work, when right now that are many great options.    I would look at the Ooni  -  especially the Pro which they say can make a 16 inch pizza https://ooni.com/products/uuni-pro?gclid=CjwKCAjwkcblBRB_EiwAFmfyy1YGhqj79PKqBCvd1benXoPxV1nztjyrVOifSgwexxCqPmreN2tc4RoCv-4QAvD_BwE ,  the Ardore,  https://www.pizzapartyshop.com/en/portable-gas-fired-pizza-ovens-ardore-spacesaving/outdoor-gas-pizza-oven-ardore.html  which I have ,   or if your budget is more limited, and you are fine with the smaller size,  the Napoli   https://napolioven.com/   

Offline tracy

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 07:55:12 AM »
My immediate thought would be you'd want to make absolutely sure that your lease allows you to do something like this in the first place.  The only apartment I've lived in that had a balcony absolutely forbade having grills on the balcony (so I'd assume it would have also forbid any kind of pizza oven).  Without generalizing, I realize leases in China are probably a bit more lenient than those in the US, but I'd double check and/or get it in writing that you're allowed to do this.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 08:14:08 PM »
Thank you for your replies.

barryvabeach,

I talk about the Roccbox on purpose, wouldn't you recommend it ? My balance is also in favor of a commercial oven...

tracy,

This is also a concern I have but as there are many regulations that are not clear in China, I assume that as I will safely use it there shouldn't be any problem.
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 08:25:19 PM »

I talk about the Roccbox on purpose, wouldn't you recommend it ? My balance is also in favor of a commercial oven...

tracy,

I think the Roccbox would work very well on a balcony. It is also small enough that you could store it inside.

Hans

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 02:07:54 AM »
I think the Roccbox would work very well on a balcony. It is also small enough that you could store it inside.

^^^

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 02:33:07 PM »
Yael, sorry,  I did not mention the Roccbox, because you already listed that in your post,  I was not sure if you were aware of the Pizza Party Ardore and the Ooni  Unni  Pro.    A few years ago, there were very few good options available, and you had to create your own.  Now, there are many good gas ovens that can be found for a great price.   

Offline enchant

• Supporting Member
  • World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 04:31:55 PM »
Regardless of what you buy, I'd suggest that on day 1, invite all your neighbors over for pizza.
--pat--

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 09:38:32 PM »
Yael, sorry,  I did not mention the Roccbox, because you already listed that in your post,  I was not sure if you were aware of the Pizza Party Ardore and the Ooni  Unni  Pro.    A few years ago, there were very few good options available, and you had to create your own.  Now, there are many good gas ovens that can be found for a great price.

^^^

Regardless of what you buy, I'd suggest that on day 1, invite all your neighbors over for pizza.

Haha, I'd love to, but most of Chinese don't have the "friendly neighborhood" culture...

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 11:49:17 PM »
Haha, I'd love to, but most of Chinese don't have the "friendly neighborhood" culture...

You could certainly work on changing that! Pizza for peace and neighborhood unity!!!😊
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 09:27:27 AM »
You could certainly work on changing that! Pizza for peace and neighborhood unity!!!😊

I'll definitely try that  :chef:

Offline megan45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 04:39:52 PM »
1) My first choice was to get a Roccbox. But then I thought the complex management wouldn't let me get in with a gas bottle (all apartments are connected to natural gas) :-X And Roccbox can not be used with natural gas (I contacted them and asked).

Pizza Party offers natural gas versions of all their ovens.

Bollore

Passione

Ardore

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 09:06:49 PM »
Pizza Party offers natural gas versions of all their ovens.

Bollore

Passione

Ardore

Thank you for the links!
If I can't get the gas bottle, I'll check these options  >:D

Offline megan45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 09:23:07 AM »
There's probably not a diplomatic ("politically correct") way to say put, so, with that in mind ...

As a first generation Chinese-American (whose parents both are Chinese nationals), and therefore a 洋鬼子/鬼佬, I would be extremely hesitant to install a bottled gas appliance without explicit, written permission from the building management and a license from the city, unless the lease specifically permits their use. And even then, I would think twice, since both management and the city can--and if need be, will--deny granting that permission/license. Yes, bottled gas appliances are widely available and most of your Chinese friends/neighbors/colleagues probably have and use them (even in settings where they are not approved), but they are Chinese, and can therefore "get away" with things that 洋鬼子/鬼佬 cannot.

As you are, no doubt, aware, the Chinese gov't at all levels can be extremely xenophobic when it suits their agenda, and blaming 洋鬼子/鬼佬 for disasters both large and small--even in the complete absence of evidence suggesting 洋鬼子/鬼佬 culpability--to divert public outrage from govt's culpability via lax enforcement and/or outright corruption on the part of local/provincial/national officials is a time-honored and well-documented practice.

Two 分 from the peanut gallery: take it for what it's worth.

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 06:17:31 PM »
洋鬼子/鬼佬  =  Foreign devil        Ouch !!

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 09:02:49 PM »
There's probably not a diplomatic ("politically correct") way to say put, so, with that in mind ...

As a first generation Chinese-American (whose parents both are Chinese nationals), and therefore a 洋鬼子/鬼佬, I would be extremely hesitant to install a bottled gas appliance without explicit, written permission from the building management and a license from the city, unless the lease specifically permits their use. And even then, I would think twice, since both management and the city can--and if need be, will--deny granting that permission/license. Yes, bottled gas appliances are widely available and most of your Chinese friends/neighbors/colleagues probably have and use them (even in settings where they are not approved), but they are Chinese, and can therefore "get away" with things that 洋鬼子/鬼佬 cannot.

As you are, no doubt, aware, the Chinese gov't at all levels can be extremely xenophobic when it suits their agenda, and blaming 洋鬼子/鬼佬 for disasters both large and small--even in the complete absence of evidence suggesting 洋鬼子/鬼佬 culpability--to divert public outrage from govt's culpability via lax enforcement and/or outright corruption on the part of local/provincial/national officials is a time-honored and well-documented practice.

Two 分 from the peanut gallery: take it for what it's worth.

Yes you're right. I already know/think about all that. First I don't want to explode the building, second I don't want to be fined or worse ;)