A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Jets pizza  (Read 171848 times)

Offline Qarl

• Exploring the world of pizza, one pie at a time!
    • Black Pug Brewing
Pizza, beekeeping, bourbon, banjos, home brewing, cooking in general, sous vide, lever espresso machines, coffee roasting, BBQ, etc.  I love to do it all and learn to make it for myself...

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Jets pizza
« Reply #281 on: April 03, 2018, 08:51:12 PM »
That is quite a project, Qarl. Nice work. It appears pizza is bread afterall  :-D
-Tony

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #282 on: April 03, 2018, 10:42:44 PM »
So this was my take on Jets Bread...   Basically round, deep-dish garlic cheese bread.   The menu states it is topped with mozarella, butter, garlic, and romano cheese.

This was mixed using Wingold Special flour.  It's 12.2% protein, bleached and enriched hard wheat flour product from Bay State Milling.  Found this at my local Restaurant Depot and had them send me the Spec Sheet.. attached

I basically followed Pete-zza's recipe on post #194

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8247.msg413711#msg413711

Pete had calculated 340 gram dough balls for an 8x10 square deep-dish Jet's pizza,  I think Jet's actually makes 10-inch round Jet's bread.  Unfortunately, I only have a 12-inch pan.  Coincidentally, the area of 10-inch round is almost 80 inches (78.5), so I venture to guess they use the same dough ball for the 10-inch round Jet's Bread as they do on the 8x10 square.

340 grams for 80 square inches is roughly 4.25 grams/square inch. So extrapolating for my larger pan, I came up with a goal of 480 grams!

I rounded Pet's numbers, but dropped the yeast percentage a bit.  I also lowered the hydration by 1% since this wasn't a super strong flour (only 12.2% protein). I didn't want it too sticky...

Flour = 100%
Water = 64%
ADY = .65%
Salt = 1.25%
Sugar = .85%

Thickness factor of .15 with 2% wastage  For me... a 490 gram ball -

Making the Garlic "butter" oil...

Ahead of time, I mixed 1/2 cup (about 4 TBS) of Whirl butter-flavored oil with 1/2 tsp garlic powder.  I warmed it up, whisked it and let it sit for a few hours.  (Whirl also makes a garlic flavored oil which I suspect they use at Jet's).

When you go to their website and look up the nutritional information, their garlic butter is basically the soy-bean oil-based butter flavored Whirl with garlic added.  No "real" butter is used.

Making the dough...

To make the dough, I added the water and yeast first and mixed. Then dumped in sugar and mixed.  Then dumped in half water... mixed on low for a minute, then remaing water... mixed a minute... salt last. Mixed 8 minutes more with a rest half way through.  Dough was not too sticky. Nice and smooth and light and airy.

I balled and did first rise in oiled container for 90 minutes in oven with light on.

I added 2 TBS butter-flavored Whirl to the PSTK coated 12-inch round pan and then spread dough out with my fingertips until it was about 90% to the edge.  Covered with plastic wrap and let rise another 90 minutes.

Prep time...

First, I brushed on 3 TBS of the garlic butter-flavored oil onto the risen dough.  Go around the perimeter and press the edges down (I noticed this in a video online). You can see it in the photo below with the garlic oil added. 

On top,  I added 8 ounces of shredded mozzarella (I used Restaurant Depot Supremo New York Cheese blend).  And did a light sprinkling of finely grated Romano cheese on top of that.

The Bake...

Placed a 1-inch corderite stone on bottom rack and preheated oven to 475 degrees for about an hour with convection fan running. Wanted that stone nice and hot!

Convection fan switched OFF. Placed pan directly on top of stone for 15 minutes rotating once half-way through. 

Came right out of pan (no-stick) and placed it on a cooling rack and cooled for a minute or two.  A traditional Jet's Bread cut is once down the middle, and then 4 or 5 cross cuts to make "bread sticks".

Sprinkled on more Romano cheese and serve with some tomato dipping sauce.

The Verdict...

Outstanding!!! As close as I can remember.  The right amount of cheese.  Crunch on the bottom.  Soft inside... garlicy but not overboard.  It wasn't overly greasy.

I totally surprised my wife... she LOVES Jet's Bread.  She literally was jumping up and down all excited. I think I scored some major points.

Great job Qarl!   :drool: :chef: :chef:

Norma

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #283 on: August 29, 2018, 12:17:30 PM »
I know this thread hasn't been posted in for a while, but for those of you that have had Jets, is the bottom really crispy? Or crunchy? I'm curious. I watched a video recently that said they bake for 10 minutes - I've never had a Jet's pie but I know their "crunch" is supposed to be a big part of their brand.

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #284 on: August 29, 2018, 06:11:24 PM »
Bottom has a nice crisp. The area closer to toppings could usully benefit from a longer bake - being more done and less gummy, however you would choose to change the bake to achieve this. We order these because my wife likes them. A few months ago I had the pleasure of joining Hans at Buddy’s original in Detroit. If I were going to work on one it would be that or Hans’s own version.
-Tony

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #285 on: August 29, 2018, 08:10:11 PM »
any details on the length of Buddy's bake? I've had a buddy's frozen pie and wasn't impressed. I assume a longer bake and lower temp in those ovens will give more crunch...

Bottom has a nice crisp. The area closer to toppings could usully benefit from a longer bake - being more done and less gummy, however you would choose to change the bake to achieve this. We order these because my wife likes them. A few months ago I had the pleasure of joining Hans at Buddy’s original in Detroit. If I were going to work on one it would be that or Hans’s own version.

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #286 on: August 29, 2018, 09:04:44 PM »
No, I was not privy to the details. Hans may know. Buddy’s has it figured out though :)
-Tony

Online HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #287 on: September 02, 2018, 11:37:07 AM »
any details on the length of Buddy's bake? I've had a buddy's frozen pie and wasn't impressed. I assume a longer bake and lower temp in those ovens will give more crunch...

Lou, your pizza at Emmy2 was very similar to Buddies.
Hans

Offline exchicagogal

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #288 on: May 14, 2019, 01:20:59 PM »
Hey guys, is there a way to tweak Pete's formula to fit two 8*8 cake pans. I'm making this weekend, I plan on using whirl and my baking steel for the bake. Any advice on a temp and time with that set up? Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:02:26 PM by exchicagogal »

Offline exchicagogal

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #289 on: May 19, 2019, 01:24:17 PM »
I found the dough calculator and I am done with this recipe. It is very-very similar to Jet's. It was so good and easy that we've had it twice in the past few days.

Here's how I did it.

The Dough, I followed Qarl's formula from an earlier reply but I'll repost here for ease.

Sqaure Pizza Place Clone

KABF  (100%):    332.96 g  |  11.74 oz | 0.73 lbs
Water (64%):    213.09 g  |  7.52 oz | 0.47 lbs
ADY (0.65%):    2.16 g | 0.08 oz | 0 lbs | 0.57 tsp | 0.19 tbsp
Salt (1.25%):    4.16 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.75 tsp | 0.25 tbsp
Sugar (0.85%):    2.83 g | 0.1 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.71 tsp | 0.24 tbsp
Total (166.75%):   555.21 g | 19.58 oz | 1.22 lbs | TF = 0.153
Single Ball:   277.6 g | 9.79 oz | 0.61 lbs

I used a thickness factor of 0.15 and a bowl residue of 2%. The recipe above produces 2 dough balls.

I warmed the water and added the sugar then threw in the yeast. The yeast in this recipe is equivalent to 1/4 tsp and 1/3 tsp. I then left the yeast to puff up for a little and once frothy, I threw it in my stand mixer bowl with all the other ingredients. I then needed on medium-high for 8 minutes.

I brushed my dough ball with some oil and then placed in an oven with the light on. The first time I let it rise for 90 minutes and that actually felt too long as the dough ball overflowed the bowl. The second time I made it , I was short on time, so I put a bowl of boiling hot water in the oven with the dough ball. The dough took 45 minutes to 'double in size' with the oven light on. It was perfect, I'll definitely be sticking with the hot water method.

Next, I brought out my two pans. I did purchase Whirl, it was 15 bucks on Amazon so I thought ... why not? However, my BF mentioned that you could probably just used a butter-flavored cooking spray and get the same results. Nevertheless, I used 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon of Whirl per pan. I then weighed my dough balls out and pressed them into each pan. Nice thing about this recipe is you don't need roll out the dough at all and it's so easy to work with it just pushes into the pan beautifully.

I then used the same hot water trick with the oven light and let the dough fill into the pans for about 25 minutes. Then, I took my pans out of the oven and let them continue to rise while I prepped the oven. I used my DoughJoe 1/4 inch baking steel in the middle rack and preheated to 480. I let the steel heat up for about 10-15 minutes while I prepped my pizza.

I used Clasico pizza sauce (a basic but really good tasting pizza sauce that I can get locally) then I topped with 4 oz of Cheese. For cheese, I've found that Trader Joe's Lite Mozzarella is my favorite cheese. While most lite cheeses aren't very good, I've found that this Lite cheese for some reason this cheese comes out weirdly similar to the cheese on chain-pizzerias. Everything from the melt, to the way it streches and tastes just reminds me of a chain-pizzeria place like Pizza Hut or Domino's. Not sure if anyone knows why or maybe if these chains are using a similar type of mozzarella (maybe using it to save money as it's cheaper to make?). If you have a Trader Joe's near you, I highly recommend you try it and let me know your thoughts.

I used Turkey Pepperoni. I then baked my pies on the steel at 480 for 16 minutes which seems to be the magic number for a crispy crust and crunch cheese edges. One thing to note, is the first night I made this I felt the cheese baked to fast so the pictures aren't amazing. I didn't take any pictures the second night but I found that putting down a sheet of foil above the pizzas at 8 minutes and then taking it off when the pizzas have about 2 minutes left to cook, created a perfect cheese melt.

Overall, this was about as close to Jet's as I needed it to be. I'm sure I could try some of the sauce recipes on this thread to get it closer but this was fine. It actually was really easy and for an emergency type recipe produced a really really fluffy crust.

I have some pictures below, like I said the cheese on the first night's pizza was a little more well done than I would like but aside from that, everything was perfect.

If anyone wants to chime in about the Trader Joe's cheese ... I'm still not sure why a 'light' cheese comes out better than the 'regular' cheese?

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 01:26:50 PM by exchicagogal »

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #290 on: May 19, 2019, 05:09:00 PM »
That is a great result, exchicagogal!
-Tony

wordpress