A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 558448 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #2340 on: August 23, 2018, 09:25:56 PM »
matt, I agree it's a personal preference but moving to the ratios you suggested in your thread made a big difference in terms of my melt. Is the same true for boardwalk pizza? I'm thinking maybe not as much, because the sauce is poured in a spiral over the cheese?

Norma, thanks for the information on the sauce, it seems like my suggestion to push through a strainer was far off-target for this style.

I've never had a slice of boardwalk pizza  :-[ we were visiting my wife's sister yesterday in southern nj, unfortunately, mack's looks to be about 20 minutes each way from the garden state parkway. Maruca's was a little closer, but I think we'll hold out for mack's. maybe spend half the day at the beach and then head off to my wife's sister.

interestingly, over the course of the drive yesterday, I learned one of my wife's family's favorite pizza spots was kinchley's. it's not that far from where they lived.

QD,

Mack's sauce looks to be on the thicker side.  So does the sauce I use for market pie and pies on this thread.  I just use the Norpro pitcher and if it can be poured it usually turn out good.  To thin and maybe not. 

Hope you get to try a boardwalk style pizza.  Never have been to Kinchley's but heard it is good.

Norma

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #2341 on: August 23, 2018, 09:28:58 PM »
matt, I agree it's a personal preference but moving to the ratios you suggested in your thread made a big difference in terms of my melt. Is the same true for boardwalk pizza? I'm thinking maybe not as much, because the sauce is poured in a spiral over the cheese?

I think to replicate Mack's, its crucial to get not only the ratios, but the amount correct. It really all starts with the crust being very thin. I wouldnt say its light on the cheese, but the amount is certainly lower than Queens style, and this keeps it balanced with the crust. (The crust reminds me a little of Sacco in Hells Kitchen, but if you go, beware that its hit or miss as they occasionally undercook the undercrust, likely moreso in busier times.)

Repost of Mack's below to show thinness.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 09:32:24 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #2342 on: September 26, 2018, 04:55:23 PM »
Norma,

What type of white cheddar would you use for this - Mild or Sharp? I'm guessing something on the milder side?

QD,

Mack's sauce looks to be on the thicker side.  So does the sauce I use for market pie and pies on this thread.  I just use the Norpro pitcher and if it can be poured it usually turn out good.  To thin and maybe not. 

Hope you get to try a boardwalk style pizza.  Never have been to Kinchley's but heard it is good.

Norma

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #2343 on: September 26, 2018, 07:04:11 PM »
I think to replicate Mack's, its crucial to get not only the ratios, but the amount correct. It really all starts with the crust being very thin. I wouldnt say its light on the cheese, but the amount is certainly lower than Queens style, and this keeps it balanced with the crust. (The crust reminds me a little of Sacco in Hells Kitchen, but if you go, beware that its hit or miss as they occasionally undercook the undercrust, likely moreso in busier times.)

Repost of Mack's below to s
how thinness.

Wow, how did I miss that pie, Mack's pizza looks fantastic!!!!!!
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG, Baker's Pride M02T 220V, PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2344 on: September 26, 2018, 07:44:15 PM »
Norma,

What type of white cheddar would you use for this - Mild or Sharp? I'm guessing something on the milder side?

Lou,

Think Mack's uses a mild white cheddar but sure don't know the brand.  All depends on how you want the pizza to taste.  Also you might want to get a cheddar with a pretty high fat ratio.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2345 on: April 12, 2019, 07:52:41 PM »
Mack's Pizza opened today.  Video in below link and photos from today.

Still wonder how those dough balls on trays can sit out without getting dry, especially along the edges.  :-\ Looks like there is only some kind of waxed paper on top of the dough balls, and nothing to cover the sides.  Have seen that different times when I was at Mack's.

Norma

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2346 on: April 12, 2019, 09:06:02 PM »
Mack's Pizza opened today.
Norma

Thanks for posting that Norma.  I forgot to tell you that last late September I drove out to the NJ coast for some surf fishing.  After hearing about your Mack's all these years, I had to drive down there to check the Boardwalk out.  Had a slice at Mack's and a slice at Joe's!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2347 on: April 13, 2019, 07:24:54 AM »
Thanks for posting that Norma.  I forgot to tell you that last late September I drove out to the NJ coast for some surf fishing.  After hearing about your Mack's all these years, I had to drive down there to check the Boardwalk out.  Had a slice at Mack's and a slice at Joe's!

Paul,

Thanks so much for telling me you did go to Mack's and Joe's when you drove to the NJ coast for some surf fishing.  Your fluke fish looks delightful!  ;D

In my opinion when Mack's Pizza is done right it is very good, but sometimes that is not the case. 

Norma

Offline PizzAmateur

• There is nothing wrong with pizza 3 times a day.
« Reply #2348 on: April 13, 2019, 08:17:28 AM »
How do you tell a fluke from a flounder?

Never mind...

https://www.reluctantgourmet.com/fluke-or-flounder-what-is-the-difference/

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2349 on: April 13, 2019, 09:30:19 AM »
Paul,

That last photo is a little light on cheese :-D

Glad you enjoyed your visit here!

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2350 on: April 14, 2019, 12:34:25 AM »
Paul,

That last photo is a little light on cheese :-D

Glad you enjoyed your visit here!

;D ;D

I did enjoy myself and hope to make it out there again in late September.  It's a long drive from Denver!

« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 12:36:34 AM by parallei »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2351 on: April 24, 2019, 08:28:41 AM »
Sure don't know why, but one batch of dough balls were really hard to open.  Till I found out what to try got frustrated and reballed two dough balls.  Mistake  :-. But in the end looked more like a Mack's pizza.  So many lessons learned.

Norma
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 10:50:10 AM by norma427 »

Offline PizzAmateur

« Reply #2352 on: April 24, 2019, 10:18:12 AM »
Sure don't know why, but one batch of dough balls were really hard to open.  Till I found out what to try got frustrated and recalled two dough balls.  Mistake  :-. But in the end looked more like a Mack's pizza.  So many lessons learned.

Norma

No offense intended, but is the crust as dense as it appears to be?

Maybe the pics just don't do it justice...?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2353 on: April 24, 2019, 10:55:40 AM »
No offense intended, but is the crust as dense as it appears to be?

Maybe the pics just don't do it justice...?

PizzaAmateur,

Not offense taken.  8) The bottom crusts were crispy, but to be honest didn't have time to try a slice.  A fellow standholder said the slice was good, but then each of us have their own opinions on what is a good crust.  I agree the crust does appear dense.  Only trying to post about how much problems there were with those two reballed doughs.  Had to finally use a big rolling pin to open the crust.  Still a lot of rolling and had to use a lot of muscles to get the doughs open.   :-D  Although all of the other dough balls were harder to open, after they were warmed up longer than usual could open them ok.

Norma

Offline PizzAmateur

« Reply #2354 on: April 24, 2019, 11:38:02 AM »
PizzaAmateur,

Not offense taken.  8) The bottom crusts were crispy, but to be honest didn't have time to try a slice.  A fellow standholder said the slice was good, but then each of us have their own opinions on what is a good crust.  I agree the crust does appear dense.  Only trying to post about how much problems there were with those two reballed doughs.  Had to finally use a big rolling pin to open the crust.  Still a lot of rolling and had to use a lot of muscles to get the doughs open.   :-D  Although all of the other dough balls were harder to open, after they were warmed up longer than usual could open them ok.

Norma

Thanks Norma.  I hate to "roll" out dough and never do unless I have to.

Luis looked good in the photo!  I hope he is doing well?

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #2355 on: April 24, 2019, 07:13:23 PM »
.. But in the end looked more like a Mack's pizza.

Yes! Top looks very similar to the last pie I had there.

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2356 on: April 24, 2019, 09:03:18 PM »
Thanks Norma.  I hate to "roll" out dough and never do unless I have to.

Luis looked good in the photo!  I hope he is doing well?

Yep, hate to roll out dough too, especially if it stretches back a lot.  Even did that when it was opened before reballing.   :-D

Luis is doing pretty good.  He got out of the hospital last Saturday, after a rough round with chemo.  Besides going into the hospital for check-ups and more chemo shots the bone marrow transplant will start sometime at the end of May.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2357 on: April 24, 2019, 09:04:28 PM »
Yes! Top looks very similar to the last pie I had there.

Thanks Matt!

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2359 on: Yesterday at 07:41:28 PM »
Spot on IMO

John