Author Topic: Ideal Ratio for 4 cheese blend?  (Read 252 times)

Offline BillyCorgan

• I Love Pizza!
Ideal Ratio for 4 cheese blend?
« on: November 23, 2016, 10:18:22 PM »
We have a four cheese blend at our pizza shop that tastes too bitter to me. I think it's because the ratio of swiss being used is too high.

Here's what we use: swiss, feta, parmesan, mozzarella

Can you provide a ratio of this blend that you think gets the most delicious result?

Thanks!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Ideal Ratio for 4 cheese blend?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 10:38:46 PM »
Billy;
My "safe" approach has always been to use the blending cheese at no more than 25% of the mozzarella or mozzarella - provolone blend with any other cheeses making up the remaining 25%. In your case I think I would favor the Swiss for the majority of the blend (15 to 20%).
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 10:45:03 PM »
I don't understand the blend. I can't picture those 4 cheeses together. What kind of pizza are you making? Have you tried just the mozzarella + a quality parmesan?
Ryan

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 11:27:52 PM »
I'm in the same boat. My personal favorite is 75% mozzarella and 25% parmesan and if I want to kick it up a little I'll go with 75% mozzarella + 20% Parmesan + 5% romano.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline BillyCorgan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 02:43:52 AM »
I can't do two cheeses because it doesn't sound like enough. I'm in China where people care about how tall the buildings are not the rusty nails that built it. Everything has to be big here, I'd blend 8 cheeses if I could get it to taste good :)

So 75% should be mozz and the rest equally for the remaining 25%?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 09:01:54 AM »
I understand what you are saying and that my tastes may be very different from your customers, notwithstanding blending swiss and feta with mozz - let alone on pizza - sounds truly terrible to me - and I like all three cheeses a lot.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 10:21:46 AM »
On pizza I use mostly part-skim mozerella and parmesean, but I also like to add provolone at times, and also this mexican style blend which is monterey jack, medium cheddar, queso quesadilla and asadero.  All of these cheeses go really well together.  There's 7 for ya, as to the ratios, I use at least 75% mozerella too, even on a taco pizza.  Feta and fresh mozerella go pretty good together with the right toppings (garlic, meatballs) though I haven't experimented past those 2 together.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 10:35:23 AM »
I can't do two cheeses because it doesn't sound like enough. I'm in China where people care about how tall the buildings are not the rusty nails that built it. Everything has to be big here, I'd blend 8 cheeses if I could get it to taste good :)

So 75% should be mozz and the rest equally for the remaining 25%?

Do you have other options or are those the only 4 cheeses available? In America most grocery stores carry a parmesan/romano/asiago blend; that would be more my choice.
Ryan

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 05:03:41 PM »
We have a four cheese blend at our pizza shop that tastes too bitter to me. I think it's because the ratio of swiss being used is too high.

Here's what we use: swiss, feta, parmesan, mozzarella

Can you provide a ratio of this blend that you think gets the most delicious result?

Thanks!

Forget the swiss,...too strong, imo.

Replace it with an aged fontina or gouda if available in China. Mozzarella, fontina/gouda, romano/parmesan and a sprinkle of blue cheese to round it out would be my suggestion.
Mike

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 11:53:29 AM »
I understand what you are saying and that my tastes may be very different from your customers, notwithstanding blending swiss and feta with mozz - let alone on pizza - sounds truly terrible to me - and I like all three cheeses a lot.

I don't know about the Swiss, but I do a pie with roasted garlic, spinach, sliced tomato, mozzarella, feta, kalamata olives and truffle oil that is one of my all time favorites.