A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: What are some good mixes to amp up the flavor of mediocre mozz?  (Read 459 times)

Offline elohel

I'm having a hell of a time finding a tasty mozz where I'm at. All I can really seem to find are very tasteless cheeses. I have tried loafs (can never find whole milk, always part skim), as well as 'fresh' mozz in the whey or packed dry. Nothing ever produces much taste on my pizzas, though the addition of high temps in my new blackstone did help considerably.

Yesterday I cut in provolone to be ~2/3s mozz 1/3 provolone. This helped a bit, but it wasn't the flavor I wanted. I remember eating some cheese pizza in staten island years back the cheese was out of this world delicious. That is really my end goal here, but I'm not sure how to accomplish that. Any suggestions?

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Re: What are some good mixes to amp up the flavor of mediocre mozz?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 03:57:52 PM »
parmesan and/or romano

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 05:47:00 PM »
Agreed, either parm or romano or both are hard to beat. I like to use parmesan at about 20% of the cheese blend or romano at about half of that.
Mozzarella cheese by definition is pretty bland in flavor...that's why you couldn't find a flavorful one.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Online vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 12:23:25 AM »
Try some sharp white cheddar - I throw down 20g or so under 200g of mozz; I believe Norma uses straight cheddar on her (award-winning) pies.
In grams we trust.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 05:46:57 AM »
I believe Norma uses straight cheddar on her (award-winning) pies.

Steve,

You are correct that I do use straight cheddar on most of the market pies.  Sometimes I do add hard cheese to the mix, or maybe add some mozzarella to the cheddar.  I am not sure why but recently tired some of the cheddar that is used at market to make macaroni.  That cheddar didn't work to make macaroni.  The cheddar wanted to string too much and never melted right.  :-D

Norma

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 02:22:28 PM »
Yesterday I used a 50:50 blend of Part Skim mozzarella to Sharp White Cheddar that went over awfully well. I definitely thought of Norma's pizzas when reaching for it!

Offline bradtri

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 03:41:31 PM »
Maybe I'm in left field but I use a 50/50 blend of mozzarella and Monterrey jack that I think tastes real good.

Offline elohel

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 11:00:18 PM »
Thanks ya'll, bought some sharp white cheddar and I'll try mixing it with mozz in diff proportions to see if that adds the flavor I'm looking for :) I'll report back.

On a side note, I am loving my new blackstone pizza oven. Never knew temp made all of the difference. Only used it a few times so far and my pizzas have already improved approximately 500% in flavor and texture.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 09:35:02 AM »
I made some pizza last night with 2/3 cheap LM part skim mozz and 1/3 sharp white cheddar. I thought the melt looked terrible, but the boys really liked the taste. I'll try it again with higher quality mozz.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 06:38:12 PM »
Dusted Pecorino romano, sharp provolone, Asiago, 100% cracker barrel sharp white Cheddar.

Offline stamina888

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 11:49:08 PM »
Ricotta is really underrated. It adds a little sweetness and texture to the cheese.

Online HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 12:06:32 AM »
Ricotta is really underrated. It adds a little sweetness and texture to the cheese.

Ricotta is amazing in pizza products but in my opinion needs to be dried somewhat.  My observation is ricotta based products like calzones aren't made very well these days cos they don't dry the ricotta mix in the cooler.  Kind of like wet pizzas with big chunky green peppers.  Used to be, if a pizzeria made a good calzone,  everything else was probably good.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 12:09:51 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline stamina888

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 12:17:50 AM »
That's a good thing to note.  I guess it depends on whether the pizza needs more hydration or not.

It couldn't hurt to use a yogurt strainer on ricotta.

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 11:18:17 AM »
Through her research Norma has been able to find a very unique white cheddar, as she mentioned above.  When we met at Walter's facility in Columbus a few years ago, I was able to sample it.  It is as she describes it, and I could very well see how you could use it straight.  It is unique! With my first bite, I thought it was mozzarella, but the flavorful one from my youth.  I have not been able to find anything similar locally.

With that constraint, I use about 15% of the white cheddar cubes from my local Restaurant Depot with a Sorrento mozzarella base cheese also from RD. (Thread on Sorrento https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=16872.0 )  I will add about 5% to 10% Romano pre bake, and a dusting of Parmesan Reggiano around the center post bake.     

For the 5# blocks of mozzarella, I cut them into 1# slices, add the appropriate amount of cheddar cubes, wrap in cling wrap, then vacuum bag and freeze.  I thaw in the fridge over two days.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 11:30:37 AM by bigMoose »
All the best, Dave

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 12:56:26 PM »
Through her research Norma has been able to find a very unique white cheddar, as she mentioned above.  When we met at Walter's facility in Columbus a few years ago, I was able to sample it.  It is as she describes it, and I could very well see how you could use it straight.  It is unique! With my first bite, I thought it was mozzarella, but the flavorful one from my youth.  I have not been able to find anything similar locally.

With that constraint, I use about 15% of the white cheddar cubes from my local Restaurant Depot with a Sorrento mozzarella base cheese also from RD. (Thread on Sorrento https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=16872.0 )  I will add about 5% to 10% Romano pre bake, and a dusting of Parmesan Reggiano around the center post bake.     

For the 5# blocks of mozzarella, I cut them into 1# slices, add the appropriate amount of cheddar cubes, wrap in cling wrap, then vacuum bag and freeze.  I thaw in the fridge over two days.

Boars head makes a 3 month aged white cheddar I've been thinking of trying straight on a boardwalk/NY style pie. IIRC LMWM mozzarella is aged for about 30 days, so my theory is this may have a bit more depth of flavor, without being overly sharp and acidic. I assume since it appears most of these places are not adding a flavoring cheese like parmesan or romano that their regular shreds must already have enough flavor to hold up to the pie.

I'm also curious to try 100% young asiago but I have not been able to find this yet.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 12:59:16 PM by invertedisdead »

Online HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2017, 01:47:37 PM »
Boars head makes a 3 month aged white cheddar I've been thinking of trying straight on a boardwalk/NY style pie. IIRC LMWM mozzarella is aged for about 30 days, so my theory is this may have a bit more depth of flavor, without being overly sharp and acidic. I assume since it appears most of these places are not adding a flavoring cheese like parmesan or romano that their regular shreds must already have enough flavor to hold up to the pie.

I'm also curious to try 100% young asiago but I have not been able to find this yet.

Most supermarket cheddars are obvious in their flavor, but sometimes there is only a fine line between mild cheddar and mozzarella.  I've observed this in more local independently produced cheeses, some very young mild white cheddar have more moisture and  and less sharpness than avg and can pass as a mozzarella with additional flavor.    A well known brand like boar's head cheddar will probably be more obviously a cheddar, even at 3 months.  I know that several NJ bars use white cheddar and it tastes and feels very much like a tasty mozzarella and when it browns at the edges, you can taste some of the sharpness.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 01:57:33 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 02:11:10 PM »
Most supermarket cheddars are obvious in their flavor, but sometimes there is only a fine line between mild cheddar and mozzarella.  I've observed this in more local independently produced cheeses, some very young mild white cheddar have more moisture and  and less sharpness than avg and can pass as a mozzarella with additional flavor.    A well known brand like boar's head cheddar will probably be more obviously a cheddar, even at 3 months.  I know that several NJ bars use white cheddar and it tastes and feels very much like a tasty mozzarella and when it browns at the edges, you can taste some of the sharpness.

I see what you're saying, I just thought the 3 month Boars Head was interesting since most people tend to be looking for as old/sharp of a cheddar as they can find, which is the exact opposite of this scenario. My store that carries Boars Head has a pretty good selection of some small batch producers so I'll have to see what else they have. I just noticed it the other day as they are converting from Dietz & Watson to Boars Head and slowly getting in more and more product.

When you say NJ bars use white cheddar - are those bar pies? Or big slices?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 02:31:46 PM »

Ryan,

I am not HarryHaller73 but talked to a man where I purchase the cheese for market about 4 weeks ago.   He used to work for the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.  He started to tell me how many pizzerias used cheddar as their main cheese for pizzas, and could tell me what different cheeses pizzerias used on pizzas. I didn't have enough time to listen to all of the pizzerias that used cheddar or what all of the other cheeses were.  Maybe I need to give him a call sometime. 

Norma

Online HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 04:16:39 PM »
I see what you're saying, I just thought the 3 month Boars Head was interesting since most people tend to be looking for as old/sharp of a cheddar as they can find, which is the exact opposite of this scenario. My store that carries Boars Head has a pretty good selection of some small batch producers so I'll have to see what else they have. I just noticed it the other day as they are converting from Dietz & Watson to Boars Head and slowly getting in more and more product.

Bar pies.  And sometimes mixed with mozzarella.  You can really taste it in the edges of rimless pies, where the cheese brown and get caramelized.    My favorite frozen pizza which I think is the best frozen pizza on planet is Tree Tavern bar style pizza, originally serving bar pies in Paterson NJ but the frozen pizza still exists made with white cheddar.  It doesn't really taste like cheddar and if I hadn't known, I'd think it was just mozzarella.   I know Mack's and pizzerias down the shore use cheddar as well but it's not the dry cracker and cheese type cheddar.

Tree tavern:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 04:26:14 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2017, 04:29:58 PM »
Bar pies.  And sometimes mixed with mozzarella.  You can really taste it in the edges of rimless pies, where the cheese brown and get caramelized.    My favorite frozen pizza which I think is the best frozen pizza on planet is Tree Tavern bar style pizza, originally serving bar pies in Paterson NJ but the frozen pizza still exists made with white cheddar.  It doesn't really taste like cheddar and if I hadn't known, I'd think it was just mozzarella.   I know Mack's and pizzerias down the shore use cheddar as well but it's not the dry cracker and cheese type cheddar.

Tree tavern:

HarryHaller73,

I agree that some cheddar’s don't really taste like cheddar.  They taste like a good mozzarella’s but with a little zing.  Member Hans was recently at market and tasted the cheddar used there.  He said it tasted like good mozzarella and said if he didn't know from me telling him would have thought it was mozzarella.  It is a very moist cheddar and about as moist as some whole milk mozzarella’s.

Norma

wordpress