A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Greek pizza  (Read 214320 times)

Online hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Re: Greek pizza
« Reply #820 on: November 16, 2017, 06:26:13 PM »
Pat, I don't think the brand of cheddar will make a difference in the crust. But, one issue I've had is the grease from the cheese getting underneath the pizza on the serving tray and softening the crust. (This is separate from the pale crust issue. And note the Cracker Barrel is greasy.)

I posted pics previously of a pizzeria that puts a cardboard disk in the pizza box that soaks up the grease. That may help. Or maybe something less professional like paper towels? Also, rparker over on the NY board has had success in moving the sliced pizza back onto a screen. That won't work for me because of the party cut though.
Matt

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Greek pizza
« Reply #821 on: Today at 09:31:01 AM »
HH73,

Bruno Di Fabio, a well known pizza maker in the NY area, makes a version of the NY style pizza that contains eggs. See:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26472.msg267233#msg267233, and

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=14326.msg143218#msg143218.

Unfortunately, the video that showed how Bruno made his dough is no longer available on YouTube and I could not find a substitute. Bruno is very well known so I am sure that if you do a Google search you will find a ton of material.

Peter

I know of 2 other New York style joints in CT that use eggs.  According to your link, 6 eggs to a 50lb bag for approx 75 pies would be about 0.08 eggs per dough.  That's very little, but I can see why it's used to produce a certain crust color and exterior.  I also notice Bruno uses close to a traditional 50% hydration with the egg and ups the oil some which gets effective hydration % closer to 52-54%.  Many old pizzerias here will go 50% hydration and add up to 5% oil/crisco.  That said, there's some real good NY style pizza in South Connecticut.
« Last Edit: Today at 09:40:01 AM by HarryHaller73 »