Author Topic: Turkish Pizza - Lahmacun?  (Read 12681 times)

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: Turkish Pizza - Lahmacun?
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 07:59:16 PM »
Nice another Armenian on here, I feel at ease now :-D

Offline kurbanlikkedi

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Turkish Pizza - Lahmacun?
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2016, 02:34:51 PM »
i dont want to turn this in to politics but....armenians were a small minority in the ottoman empire.
 ...lahmacun "lahme" means meat...and macun means dough..while in armenian language it has no meaning at all..armenians had the luck to live among Turks for centuries thats why they share lots of common dishes..but to claim that traditional Turkish Lahmacun and Pide to be armenian is like claiming italian pizza to be canadian...origin of Lahmacun is from the Turkish city of Gaziantep (syria border) it belongs to the Turkish and Arab community in the region..Gaziantep is on the Gastronomy list of Unesco..Gazianteps cuisine is recognized as one of the worlds most important cuisines.

real authentic lahmacun has no yeast in the dough and for the meat fatty lamb belly is used ..along with parsley,sweet green turkish peppers, tomatoes,yogurt,turkish tomato and chilli paste,  onion or garlic  (use either garlic or onion not both) salt,turkish pul biber (red chili flakes) or isot in some areas (turkish smoked chili flakes made from Urfa chilies), cumin, black pepper and salt.

all this is minced very fine with a huge carbonsteel Turkish kebab knife called Zırh or Satır (dont use a mince machine)...its a Art to make good Lahmacun though.

another Turkish dough speciality is Pide (made the same way like neapolitan dough) ..with very small cubes of lamb and veggies..if done well it tastes even better then a good pizza..

« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 02:18:38 PM by kurbanlikkedi »