A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chicago Stuffed Pizza.  (Read 3579 times)

Offline kurt72

Chicago Stuffed Pizza.
« on: January 23, 2010, 11:24:02 PM »
Years ago I got the recipe from a book for making Chicago Stuffed Pizza. Once I had that figured out, I realized how wrong it was. We used to get Nancy's in Glendale Heights. Then that one closed sometime in the early 80's. Then we used to get Jani's Pizza from Carol Stream. Then WE moved to Connecticut. Jani's is gone now.

Now I am in San Diego and have been making this for the last 10 years. This is for a 14" wide Pan, 2" deep.

Dough:
3 cups of all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups warm water, 110 degrees
2 packages of yeast
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp of Olive oil

Sauce
28oz Can of Whole Peeled Tomatoes. ( I always use Cento. Sometimes Cento San Marzano)
1 Tbls Oregano
1 Tbls Basil
1 crushed garlic clove
1 Tbls Olive Oil
1 1/2 Tsp Salt
1-2 Tsp of sugar to taste
1/4 cup of Parmesan Cheese

Filling
2-2 1/2 lbs of Fresh grated Mozzarella Cheese
Veggies, meats, etc.

For the crust put flour in a large bowl. Add salt, yeast, stir. Create a well in the middle of the flour. Add Olive Oil, add water. Stir with a large spoon. Once dough becomes tacky and hard to stir, transfer to a counter/flat smooth surface dusted with flour. Dough should be a little tacky, not sticky. Knead for 7-10 minutes, dusting with more flour to remove stickiness, until smooth. Place back in bowl, dusting with flour. Cover with plastic then a towel. Let rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour until it rises. Note I did not mix the yeast and the water separately as most recipes tell you to do. I have done it both ways with the same result. 

For the sauce, I drain the Tomatoes, trim the end where the vine was attached. Crush with hands, removing the center. If you want to remove all of the seeds, go ahead. I leave them in and I have never received any complaints. Add half of the puree from the drained tomatoes. Add list of ingredients, stir. I use the pre-grated dry Parmesan. When I have used fresh parm, it's too wet, melts and made my sauce runny.

I always buy a big block of Mozzarella and grate it before using. Something about pre grated just doesn't melt right.

Prep
Sauce and Dough always tastes better if left in the fridge overnight. But it still tastes good fresh. If doing the next day, punch down dough, put in fridge. Next day, take dough out 2 hrs before prep. Remove tomatoes about an hour before prepping the pie.

Preheat Oven to 475 degrees. Once dough is ready, cut in half. For the first half, knead on dusted surface for about 7 minutes. I do a mix of using a rolling pin and tossing in the air to get it to the right size. Diameter of dough should be wider than the pan. Place dough in a well oiled pan. Push all dough against the wall, leaving excess hanging over the side. Put in filling making sure it's evenly distributed. Set aside pan. Repeat the same kneading process, rolling or tossing for second half of dough. Once properly sized, place over the pan and filling. Tuck in the top layer against the bottom layer of dough all the way around. I like to give the top layer a gentle push so as to not trap in any air. Once the top layer is on evenly, trim the excess of the two layers with a knife, slice 2-3 slits in the top layer. That will allow steam to escape.

Once oven is preheated, place pie in the oven. The whole pie should take about 40-45 minutes. At about the 30 minute mark, the crust should be a light, light brown. By then, most of the cheese inside has melted, thus not as much steam. If you put the tomatoes on too soon, the crust will bubble. So remove from the oven, place tomatoes on top. Cook for the remainder or until the crust is nice dark brown. Once done, remove, cut and serve. I have a pan with a removable bottom which makes life sooooo much easier. 

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 11:29:50 PM by kurt72 »

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
Re: Chicago Stuffed Pizza.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 08:07:52 AM »
Kurt, that pie looks really good and the recipe looks good as well for the most part.  I'm sure similar results could be achieved with less yeast.  That's a lot of yeast!

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline kurt72

Re: Chicago Stuffed Pizza.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 11:54:44 AM »
ya know after reading a lot of the recipes on here, it just may be a lot of yeast.  :o

A D V E R T I S E M E N T