A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Looking for a ny style sacue  (Read 2644 times)

Offline Pizza Shaun

Looking for a ny style sacue
« on: May 19, 2010, 03:23:46 PM »
any recomendations

Offline Matthew

Re: Looking for a ny style sacue
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 05:52:08 PM »
any recomendations

Stanislaus Full Red is amongst the most popular.

Matt

Offline Pizzalogy

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 09:24:19 PM »
i am also looking for an NY style sauce. i'm currently using escalon 6 in 1 and adding oregano and salt. Matthew when you say full red, which full red do you mean? with or without basil, or does it not make a difference?

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 10:54:45 PM »
Not sure about the full red but most canned tomatoes that say with basil I've used has 1-2 basil tips. Maybe 3 leaves with a very weak basil flavor.   Not much difference than tomatoes without basil.

Offline ManChicken

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 11:47:58 PM »
I use 6-in-1 but the consistency varies from batch to batch.. if it's too runny it's like there's almost no tomato taste when done, so I almost always strain about 1/2 to 2/3 of the can moving probably close to half a cup of liquid (I should measure it next time) and then using a hand blender to integrate it all and smooth it a bit.  From there I add oregano (1/2 tsp), garlic powder & garlic salt (1/4 tsp each but sometimes more), shake in a fair amount of grated parmesan (maybe a tablespoon).

Offline Matthew

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 06:19:50 AM »
i am also looking for an NY style sauce. i'm currently using escalon 6 in 1 and adding oregano and salt. Matthew when you say full red, which full red do you mean? with or without basil, or does it not make a difference?

Full Red Pizza Sauce. Stanislaus Pizzaiolo is really good for NY style as well.  I'm pretty sure that the Full Red doesn't contain any basil leaves.  I don't remember if pizzaiolo does as it's been a while since I've used either of the 2.

Matt
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 06:22:12 AM by Matthew »

Offline 8-slice

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 03:01:58 AM »
About sauce (and pizza for that matter):

I can't help out on other types of pizza, as I only make napoletana. Now that I was in NY for a couple of weeks, I dragged my GF and daughter to Luzzo's, Grimaldi's, DiFara's and Lombardi's (and to other not reknown pizza places). They ones named are all very good/excellent pizza - each just has it's own feel and taste, but I can't say that one is definitely better than another.

What is important, and you can tell, is that they use fresh ingredients, and are very careful of their sauce (slightly acidic san marzano mostly). I personally make my own with local plum tomatoes. Peel, de-seed, chop and slow cook until properly reduced. Then add salt to taste. Everybody always asks me what my sauce has, and I have to stop people from spooning it out of the pot. You just won't get a processed sauce that compares to home-made.

Oh yeah, and the tomatoes should be ripe and BRIGHT RED, and the flesh should not be sandy/gritty.

I sometimes cheat and add just a bit of balsamic vinegar....  ::)

8-slice  :chef:

Offline EJB

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 07:27:12 PM »
Cento whole peeled San Marzanos. Dump the can in the blender with some salt and pepper, blend it, and put it on the pizza.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 07:53:44 PM »
Cento whole peeled San Marzanos. Dump the can in the blender with some salt and pepper, blend it, and put it on the pizza.

Blending the seeds will make the sauce bitter, using a mill will yield superior results both in terms of flavor & texture.

Matt

wordpress