A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Why is Grande cheese so hard, if not impossible to find/purchase?!?  (Read 18247 times)

Offline Zing

Re: Why is Grande cheese so hard, if not impossible to find/purchase?!?
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2014, 11:16:11 AM »
Can anybody confirm if Cascade and/or Pacific Cheese actually make their own cheese, or are just a slice-and-wrap shop like Sargento in Wisconsin?

Offline 2bergersandadog

« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2015, 09:44:43 PM »
Hi Gang

It's pretty easy to order Grande Cheese online at Vern's Cheese. The Solid blocks at http://www.vernscheese.com:10088/vernsShop/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_61&limit=100 and the shredded at http://www.vernscheese.com:10088/vernsShop/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_79

Good Luck it is good stuff!

John
+1 for Verne's and Grande. Since PenMac stopped selling Grande mozzarella I haven't been able to find any other suppliers online for Grande other than Verne's.

Offline jtoner33

« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2015, 05:16:52 PM »
Coming in to this late, but your best bet is to try and find a good food service provider closest to you. I'm in Illinois and we have GFS's all over. They don't carry the type I like in stock (50/50) but they get it in 1 day.

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2015, 09:09:00 AM »
If you happen to be in NE Pa or NY state, check out MaineSource mainesfood.net. They sell individual loaves of Grande, $2.79/lb last time I was there, and 5-lb bags of shredded for $3/lb.  They also sell individual cans of Stanislaus and Escalon tomatoes/sauces and lots of other goodies.
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2015, 10:25:07 PM »
Gonnaaaa try the Scranton store
Glad its a cash and carry with no memberships.......JT

Offline JohnnyQuest

« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2015, 09:12:28 PM »
It's very hard to find here in Southeastern VA as well.  Neither Restaurant Depot nor Sysco carry it, and the company rep I dealt with was a pain to get any info from.  You would think I was asking about a pharmaceutical product or something like that, that is regulated. To shop at Restaurant Depot one does need a valid business license. I had hoped to learn more, not only for my benefit but others on the forum as well. I have never had a company go this far to NOT sell their product...... ??? ??? ???

Here is my correspondence, start at the bottom and read up if interested:

On Dec 4, 2014, at 8:59 AM, Fritz, Terri <[email protected]> wrote:

Grande Cheese products are for the foodservice industry, not at this time for consumer or private household use.   As the manufacture are only able to ship to authorized distributors.  It is our policy to not release our distributors to the general public.  We are interesting in selling our products at the foodservice level.

Our best option for personal use inquiries is to connect with the previously mentioned companies who have the proper methods and channels of shipping to consumer needs.

It is not our intention to be uncooperative, we simply do not have the ability to handle your request at this time.

We are very happy to know you appreciate the quality products we produce.

Thank you.

Grande Cheese Company

Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2014 7:44 AM
To: Fritz, Terri
Subject: Re: Inquiry to Grande Cheese Company
I understand that!   Why is it so hard to get you to answer the question about which food service distributors in VA carry your product?   

Do you not want to sell it? 

This is one of the most ridiculous business experiences I have ever encountered. 

Again, WHAT FOOD SERVICE DISTRIBUTORS IN VA CARRY GRANDE??
Best Regards,

Steve

On Dec 3, 2014, at 4:24 PM, Fritz, Terri <[email protected]> wrote:
The foodservice distributors in VA authorized to carry Grande Cheese products sell only to the businesses that supply the proper paperwork and tax ID numbers.

Sysco or Restaurant Depot do not handle Grande Cheese products.

Thank you.

Grande Cheese Company

Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2014 3:08 PM

My question was not for consumer purchase, Restaurant Depot and Sysco do not sell to consumers.

My question is for Food Service.

Best Regards,

Steve

Date: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 at 4:07 PM
To: Steve
Subject: RE: Inquiry to Grande Cheese Company

No options in the state of VA for consumer purchases.

Grande Cheese Company

Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2014 3:06 PM

Terri,

Thank you.

Do you have options in Southeast Virginia?  Sysco?  http://www.sysco.com 

We have a business membership to Restaurant Depot (http://www.restaurantdepot.com) that supplies the Food Service Industry, but they do not carry your product, unfortunately.

Best Regards,

Steve

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2015, 05:30:30 PM »

Steve:

OMG, that sure looks like a customer oriented service department.  That truly is pathetically funny.

I did a quick Google search and the distributor may be "Ettline".  Grande is listed as a product and VA seems to be in their territory.  Take a look:
http://www.pizzatoday.com/departments/features/2014-pizza-today-distributors-directory/

Good luck
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline JohnnyQuest

« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2015, 05:54:30 PM »
Thanks Mitch!

Offline Zing

« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2015, 09:41:50 PM »
The distribution of Italian foodservice products (including Grande products) in PA/DC/MD/VA/NC/SC is truly bizarre. You have distributors such as Maines, Ferraro Foods, Bova, Ettline, Dairyland USA Corporation, and E & S Foods delivering to accounts up to 300 miles from their warehouse. I regularly see 18 wheeler Ferraro Foods trucks with New Jersey plates in the Washington, DC suburbs. Presumably they come down from Piscataway, NJ. Their distribution map shows they deliver to 16 states from two warehouses in Piscataway, NJ and Mebane, NC. I have seen a truck from Bova Foods of Chalfont, PA delivering to a pizzeria in Gettysburg, PA. I guess that is the way one pizzeria differentiates themselves from other local places - they buy ingredients from some far-off distributor.

I think that is why people like JohnnyQuest can't buy any locally. Ferraro Foods in Mebane, NC stocks Grande, and I don't think they do cash-and-carry. Foods all gets delivered directly to restaurants by their truck fleet.

Johnny, if you get up to the DC area, Saval Food Service in Elkridge, MD sells single loaves of Grande if you order a day in advance by phone. Also, restaurants who buy from Ferraro Foods can usually be spotted from the distinctive trademark on house brand items in their restaurants:
http://www.ferrarofoods.com/exclusive-brands.html
Name brand line card:
http://www.ferrarofoods.com/suppliers.html
Some may sell to you.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:40:12 AM by Zing »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2015, 11:50:58 PM »
Steve,

I can tell you this much...Sysco and Grande don't get along. That's why Sysco doesn't carry any of their products.

I like Grande but they act like Cheese Primadonnas as far as I'm concerned. I have a good source of Grande, however Grande is not the non-plus-ultra in cheeses.

As a matter of fact, tasting Grande raw, its aftertaste reminds me of a combination of cheeses packed into one large loaf...mainly Emmentaler & Butterkäse with a little bit of Gouda thrown in.

Fontina, which is similar to Butterkäse without the holes, and a few shreds of soft, creamy Swiss, such as Emmentaler or Appenzeller, might give you the same effect on a pie.

Keep in mind, though, that most Emmentalers are usually hard cheeses. They also make a softer version.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:53:09 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2015, 11:54:56 PM »
Steve,

I can tell you this much...Sysco and Grande don't get along. That's why Sysco doesn't carry any of their products.

I like Grande but they act like Cheese Primadonnas as far as I'm concerned. I have a good source of Grande, however Grande is not the non-plus-ultra in cheeses.

As a matter of fact, tasting Grande raw, its aftertaste reminds me of a combination of cheeses packed into one large loaf...mainly Emmentaler & Butterkäse with a little bit of Gouda thrown in.

Fontina, which is similar to Butterkäse without the holes, and a few shreds of soft, creamy Swiss, such as Emmentaler or Appenzeller, might give you the same effect on a pie.

Keep in mind, though, that most Emmentalers are usually hard cheeses. They also make a softer version.
Good post Mike....I need to get back to trying blends and you just gave me a good idea, thanks.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2015, 12:04:38 AM »
CB,

When I first tasted Grande while shredding it, it occurred to me that it has very little to do with mozzarella, taste-wise. There's more to Grande than the company is willing to disclose or leads on.

It has a very distinct flavor. It's hard to explain but it reminded me immediately of the cheeses of Europe (Switzerland & Germany respectively). My suggestion is combine a strong-flavored cheese (Emmentaler, Appenzeller or even regular Swiss) with a soft one with great meltability (Gouda, Butterkäse, Munster, Fontina) and you should get close.

Let us know how it turns out.  :chef:
Mike

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2015, 07:14:45 PM »
Coming in to this late, but your best bet is to try and find a good food service provider closest to you. I'm in Illinois and we have GFS's all over. They don't carry the type I like in stock (50/50) but they get it in 1 day.

Prima Gusto is no joke cheese. The mozzarella is Agropur, made in a new plant in Little Chute, Wi by none other than Roger Krohn.  He is 7 time world champion, and this is his cheese.  Buy it at the proper age and in block and you have the real deal in none other than those goofy GFS stores.

Personally, Grande is nothing special, outside of a very nice melt.  It's too expensive and too hyped up. 

Offline LindaR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2015, 02:57:40 PM »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2015, 04:32:00 PM »
The RD in Charlotte NC doesn't carry Grande. Last time I was there they had a huge banner up near the service desk telling you "saputo was better than grande, try it and you'll never go back to Grande".

Well I got a loaf of the saputo and it was no where near as good as grande. Good thing I found a local pizza place that sells me as much grande as I want pretty much at their cost.

Try the Vantaggio brand whole milk, aged mozzarella. It's suppose to be right up there and on par with Grande if not better without the hefty price tag. I'm trying to get my hands a 6lb loaf and as soon as I tried it, I'll report back.

http://www.bellissimofoods.com/sub_brand.aspx?brand=Vantaggio
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
Mike

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2015, 10:25:59 PM »
Try the Vantaggio brand whole milk, aged mozzarella. It's suppose to be right up there and on par with Grande if not better without the hefty price tag. I'm trying to get my hands a 6lb loaf and as soon as I tried it, I'll report back.

Think $14 per 5lb bag of shredded grande in cheap(why use another brand unless you cannot find grande}.................JT

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2015, 05:19:06 AM »

I bought some Vantaggio for my last pies at my local Italian import store.  I didn't remind me of Grande.  Jury's still out.  I'll need to work with it some more. 

wordpress