Author Topic: Spiral Mixer - Mecnosud 44kg 240v single phase review  (Read 436 times)

Offline NewYork

• Supporting Member
  • Buon Giorno!
Spiral Mixer - Mecnosud 44kg 240v single phase review
« on: August 25, 2016, 07:09:46 PM »
Recently bought a Mecnosud Spiral Mixer which is Italian and specifically for mixing dough. It has no other functions beyond making airy dough that isn't heated by the hook. After many long and hard thought sessions, I decided to buy one new. Best decision I have made outside of throwing out those plastic dough boxes and switching to sheet pans. The mixer is absolutely amazing. We load it water/yeast first, flour, then put oil on top. Our batches are full 50lb bag at 60+ % hydration. There was a concern that the mixer would not have enough power given it wasn't 3-phase but it has plowed through like the flour wasn't even there. It only has one speed which is absolutely fine and IT DOESN'T ADD HEAT TO THE DOUGH! It seemed too good to be actually true, but wasn't. The dough does not heat up from the hook's action. That's worth the price of admission alone.

Prior to this we had a globe planetary and a univex planetary. This machine weighs half of the Univex, is on wheels and is so easy to use it's ridiculous. Only negative is getting the bowl off the deck when full. It takes two people to lift because it doesn't have handles. Cutting it out is far easier on your back. Super solid construction and the bowl is bulletproof. It's fully understandable why people use Hobart's and the like- especially if you shred your own cheese and make sauce in it, but just like any other business I've been involved in, "its always been done this way" doesn't work for me. SOOO glad the bet paid off.
 Here's a video of it in action:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 07:58:01 PM by NewYork »

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Spiral Mixer - Mecnosud 44kg 240v single phase review
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 07:23:40 PM »
I wrote an article on the different types of dough mixers a short time back and you are absolutely right, they're second t none for mixing dough, plus the fact that they will effectively mix doughs that are as small as 25% of the rated bowl capacity to as large as 110% of bowl capacity. The only cautionary note regarding single speed mixers is that there are some out there where that single speed is 'HIGH". The speed is so high that it flings ingredients out of the bowl until the dough becomes sufficiently adhesive to remain in the bowl. Add to that the fact that when using a spiral mixer you may never get the chance to meet your mixer repair man :( .
Good choice, I'm sure you will continue to be happy with it.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline NewYork

• Supporting Member
  • Buon Giorno!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 08:00:29 PM »
Tom, I appreciated your input and read your article too. No looking back now. This thing is awesome. I'd buy two of them just to have a backup and still be under $9k for both, delivered. That's remarkable.

I wrote an article on the different types of dough mixers a short time back and you are absolutely right, they're second t none for mixing dough, plus the fact that they will effectively mix doughs that are as small as 25% of the rated bowl capacity to as large as 110% of bowl capacity. The only cautionary note regarding single speed mixers is that there are some out there where that single speed is 'HIGH". The speed is so high that it flings ingredients out of the bowl until the dough becomes sufficiently adhesive to remain in the bowl. Add to that the fact that when using a spiral mixer you may never get the chance to meet your mixer repair man :( .
Good choice, I'm sure you will continue to be happy with it.

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 09:16:59 PM »
is it easy to find someone to repair these?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 09:22:31 PM »
A good way to clean the bowl at the end of the day is to put a gallon of VERY HOT water into the bowl and cover with a sheet of plastic then let it steam for a while, then scrub using a plastic bristly pot brush. If your bowl has a drain plug (something that I've been an advocate for for years now) pull the plug to drain and rinse with hot water then finish with a sanitizer. If the bowl doesn't have a drain plug you will need to sponge out the hot (now much cooler) water and dough debris, then rinse using as little water as possible, sponge out and follow by the sanitizer rinse. For cutting the dough out of the bowl be sure to pour a small amount of oil down the inside of the bowl during the last 15-seconds of mixing, if you're not already doing this you'll see what I mean when I say that it makes it much easier.

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 10:45:06 PM »
NewYork -

What is the name of your pizza restaurant in Estes Park?  I'm up there from Denver every now and again to fish the Park.  Love to check it out.  Is it Antonio's Real New York Pizza & Deli?

Thanks

Offline NewYork

• Supporting Member
  • Buon Giorno!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 01:07:28 AM »
That's our place! Give a holler prior so we can meet up.

NewYork -

What is the name of your pizza restaurant in Estes Park?  I'm up there from Denver every now and again to fish the Park.  Love to check it out.  Is it Antonio's Real New York Pizza & Deli?

Thanks

Offline NewYork

• Supporting Member
  • Buon Giorno!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 01:08:46 AM »
From what I found prior to buying, yes. They are pretty straight-forward machines and since this has only one motor, I'll be buying a backup to keep on hand.

is it easy to find someone to repair these?

Offline NewYork

• Supporting Member
  • Buon Giorno!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 01:10:14 AM »
Thank you for the tip! I'll give it a try tomorrow. The bowl is removable on this model via an ingenious system.

A good way to clean the bowl at the end of the day is to put a gallon of VERY HOT water into the bowl and cover with a sheet of plastic then let it steam for a while, then scrub using a plastic bristly pot brush. If your bowl has a drain plug (something that I've been an advocate for for years now) pull the plug to drain and rinse with hot water then finish with a sanitizer. If the bowl doesn't have a drain plug you will need to sponge out the hot (now much cooler) water and dough debris, then rinse using as little water as possible, sponge out and follow by the sanitizer rinse. For cutting the dough out of the bowl be sure to pour a small amount of oil down the inside of the bowl during the last 15-seconds of mixing, if you're not already doing this you'll see what I mean when I say that it makes it much easier.