Author Topic: MY attempt at Aimless Ryan's Tommy's Pizza clone  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
Re: MY attempt at Aimless Ryan's Tommy's Pizza clone
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2016, 08:02:16 PM »
Your pizza looks great! I am out of my Ezzo too sadly. It's the best pepperoni out there by far. I've been meaning to get to Pittsburgh to visit my cousin and then hit up Penn Mac and fill up a cooler but I haven't yet.

I look very forward to enjoying a pizza with you and your family. Tommy's on a game day is madness!

Gonna be a blast!
Tommy's pizza fan. Trying to emulate Tommy's using Aimless Ryan's recipe

Offline Feelflows

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2016, 10:00:34 AM »
Interesting idea. Tommy's pepperoni used to be curled up with pools of grease back in the day (60's - 70's) but not so much recently

I remember this style of pepperoni as a kid in the 70s as well in Canada.  After decades of searches, I found it.  It's referred to as "cup and char" pepperoni.  How it works is the skin tightens as it cooks.  As it tightens, the pepperoni becomes cupped, retains the oil, and the skin chars.  It still a mainstay for pizzerias around western New York, and surrounding areas.  Here's a link to the brand that makes them.

http://battistonibrand.com/cup-char-buffalo-style-pepperoni-sliced-5oz-pack/

The folks in the deli at Wegman's (Buffalo) sell me a two pound bag that I keep in the freezer. 

Below is a pic of the pepperoni on one of my pizzas
Using Tapatalk

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2016, 05:44:15 PM »
that pizza looks awesomely delicious!!!!!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

Offline Feelflows

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2016, 09:30:32 PM »
that pizza looks awesomely delicious!!!!!
Thank you sir!
Using Tapatalk

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2016, 05:30:12 PM »
Wish I could join you all for a slice at Tommy's!  One question I have is whether Tommy's uses a shredded or sliced provolone cheese?

I'm 99% sure it's shredded. Floridian picked me up and took me to Tommy's for lunch today, and we found out something a lot more important than whether it's shredded or sliced. Since Floridian did the dumpster diving, I'll let him share the big thing we learned today.

Also, our pizza was awesome. The Upper Arlington unit seems to be putting out much better pizza than they used to.
Ryan
http://www.ryanspizzablog.blogspot.com

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2016, 11:06:14 PM »
Yes, the cheese is 100% shredded. I saw the guy adding the cheese, shredded for sure.

We arrived in CBus Thursday night late and the friends we are staying with had Tommy's waiting for us when we got to their house. The pizza was from the UA Tommy's. It had been sitting a while but still tasted wonderful after a day of traveling.

We picked up Ryan from his crib (was cool seeing the place from the videos) and we proceeded to the UA Tommy's. It was just Ryan, my wife and myself for lunch. We ordered a large pepperoni pizza and it came out in about 15 minutes. It was very good. I noticed a sweetness to the sauce and Ryan described it as "bright" I lost my sense of smell about five years ago so my sense of taste is definitely affected but the sweetness stood out. I don't recall the sauce on Tommy's ever standing out like the pizza we had on Friday. Usually, the sauce is a background element with the crust and pepperoni at the forefront. I am pretty sure they use less sauce than the almost 11 oz. Ryan has in his recipe. I am going to go to 9 or 9.5 oz. in my next attempt.

We had a great conversation during lunch and I told my wife that Ryan had "dumpster dived" to get the sauce source and the pepperoni source. So I suggested seeing what we may find if we did a repeat. I rummaged around in the cardboard dumpster and found a cheese box. It is from Bellissimo Foods, and is a smoked whole milk provolone. It is from Wisconsin as well. Bellissimo is a company from Houston. Looking at their web site, they seem to have some high quality pizza products. The pack was 3/12# but it didn't say if it was already shredded. I am guessing Tommy's shreds their own.

That night, we met friends at the campus location. It was a busy Friday night and the difference between the pizza we had for dinner and the one we had for lunch was rather striking. The sauce was almost completely in the background. Didn't taste any sweetness whatsoever. Was still good but the UA pizza was better. The campus Tommy's has their production kitchen downstairs and I "got lost" while going to the bathroom and stumbled upon a bag of flour and I took a quick pic of the bag. The flour is a high gluten pizza flour enriched with malt. 25 lbs. bags. It was from Bellissimo. I couldn't find the product on their website but I am going to dig deeper when I get back home. There is only one distributor in Florida so I am going to contact them and see what I can do to get some of the flour and cheese.

Thanks again to Ryan for his efforts in making Tommy's available to me whenever I feel the need. My rendition and Tommy's are pretty damn close. I'm not even going to buy pizza, freeze it overnight and pack it in my suitcase. Was great meeting Ryan in person. We wish 333Meg could have joined us. Next time for sure!!       

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2016, 12:24:05 AM »
Floridian,

If you go to http://www.bellissimofoods.com/Products-List.aspx?category=Dough%20/%20Flour and click on the two links at the right, you will get the information on the Bellissimo high gluten flour, but in the 50 pound bag.

Peter

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2016, 08:51:39 AM »
Yes, as Floridian says, I felt the sauce was much more prominent than usual. To me it was both naturally sweet and bright. Very good and fresh-tasting. One thing he didn't mention is that he also dug out the same two boxes I found years ago in the dumpster, which are pictured in a post I wrote in the original Tommy's thread. Those two boxes were Ezzo GiAntonio pepperoni and Star Cross crushed tomatoes.

So we know pretty much all the important Tommy's ingredients now. Very nice outing. Would have been better if we'd been able to meet up with 333meg, though. Especially since she was in the neighborhood.

EDIT: Oh yeah. I'm pretty sure "salame" means the cheese comes in a salami-shaped loaf. If so, that means they shred the cheese on the premises. The small-looking box also suggests it came in loaves.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 09:13:11 AM by Aimless Ryan »
Ryan

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.

Offline 333meg

• Supporting Member
  • Surprisingly pizza obsession has not made me fat.
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2016, 01:25:10 PM »
You guys I am so fricking happy and excited to hear the play by play not to mention what finds! I wish I could have been there. The flour and cheese developments were the last remaining wonders. Now we have to see how can we get our hands on them? I will also add that, yep, it's confirmed...Floridian is crazy for Tommy's! Now if only there was a photo of your body half inside the dumpster rummaging while Ryan looks on...the thought of that keeps me laughing to no end. Thanks for your unparalleled passion for Tommy's.
Pursuing pizza has put me into an airplane, in a car and on road trips of hundreds of miles...

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2016, 09:08:54 PM »
Floridian,

If you go to http://www.bellissimofoods.com/Products-List.aspx?category=Dough%20/%20Flour and click on the two links at the right, you will get the information on the Bellissimo high gluten flour, but in the 50 pound bag.

Peter
I went  to their website while I was waiting for our flight back to Florida and found the flour on their website. I was very interested to see that wheat flour was the first ingredient listed. The second item was malted barley flour, an item I was totally unaware of, as I am a pizza making novice.  Not sure of the percentages involved as far as wheat flour / malted barley flour but I am hoping to score some of the flour from a distributor here in Florida. There is only one distributor and they are 90 minutes or so away. I did find the 25 lb. bag listed as well
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:31:41 AM by Floridian »

Offline RockyMountainPie

• Lifetime Member
  • Passionate about Pizza!
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2016, 02:00:28 AM »
Nice finds! 

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2016, 06:54:38 AM »
You guys I am so fricking happy and excited to hear the play by play not to mention what finds! I wish I could have been there. The flour and cheese developments were the last remaining wonders. Now we have to see how can we get our hands on them? I will also add that, yep, it's confirmed...Floridian is crazy for Tommy's! Now if only there was a photo of your body half inside the dumpster rummaging while Ryan looks on...the thought of that keeps me laughing to no end. Thanks for your unparalleled passion for Tommy's.

I didn't commit to getting into the dumpster while with Ryan, not as nimble as I once was (decades ago...lol). Luckily I could reach the boxes as the dumpster was pretty full. That being said, when we went back on Monday for our final sampling of the pizza, my daughter got into it and was indeed halfway into the dumpster. We didn't find anything new, much to my chagrin. All in all, a great trip

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2016, 07:02:29 AM »
Also, one final tidbit of info. We sat where I could watch the cooks as they were prepping the pizzas. Right before our pizza went into the oven, a clear shaker of what I am guessing was parm-rom was sprinkled over the pizza. When the pizza came out, a different shaker of something was gently shaken over the pizza. I asked the server what is was and she replied "garlic powder". So Ryan was right, he had tasted that before. It was a light dusting to be be sure. Very subtle flavor that I couldn't taste but perhaps in the background as part of the whole ensemble. 

When we were at the campus location, we were sitting in the side room, where the kitchen entrance is. I noticed a guy bringing pizza pans with holes in them up from the basement, guessing they had been washed.

My next step is going to be trying to get some of the flour and or cheese from Bellissimo via their distributor here in Florida. Going out of town again tomorrow so will send some emails today to get the ball rolling.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 02:13:37 PM by Floridian »

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2016, 05:04:02 PM »
Thanks for the shaker tips and the dumpster diving, you folks rock!  I too thank Ryan for now having an addiction for Tommy's
All the best, Dave

Offline 333meg

• Supporting Member
  • Surprisingly pizza obsession has not made me fat.
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2016, 01:38:42 PM »
I love the dumpster diving photo! I need to find that flour as well. The malt is what I taste in the crust from time to time. Can't wait to see what you can turn up.
Pursuing pizza has put me into an airplane, in a car and on road trips of hundreds of miles...

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2016, 09:21:59 PM »
Found this interesting:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Columbus/comments/26yc1o/tommys_pizza/chww372/

I have never heard of Pecorino Romano cheese. Going to look for some on Amazon

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2016, 11:33:50 PM »
Found this interesting:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Columbus/comments/26yc1o/tommys_pizza/chww372/

I have never heard of Pecorino Romano cheese. Going to look for some on Amazon

Pecorino implies sheep milk, otherwise generic "romano" tends to be cows milk.
Ryan

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2016, 07:05:43 PM »
Thanks for the shaker tips and the dumpster diving, you folks rock!  I too thank Ryan for now having an addiction for Tommy's

Hey Dave, you're always welcome to drop by for a fairly comfortable pit stop on your way to Kentucky. As long as you stop at Tommy's first. ;)
Ryan

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2016, 11:36:57 PM »
I will Ryan!  I was down to C'bus last weekend, but it was too rushed to stop by and snag a Tommy's.  I have a couple of trips to KY towards the end of January and February.  I'll give you a call on my way back and see if we can meet up.  If nothing works, I'll dedicate a trip down in March/April to get the job done!  The Dublin location is very close to the route I take.
All the best, Dave