A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My Journey through Cracker Style Pies  (Read 132 times)

Offline blueeyes0710

• I Love Pizza!
My Journey through Cracker Style Pies
« on: Yesterday at 01:49:11 AM »
Hi all,
I've long been wanting to make a cracker style pizza but my experiments with Neapolitan, Sicilian and skillet style had always been in the way. Last weekend, the day had finally come and damn those pies are good  :drool:

Flour:
Water: 58%
Salt: 3%
Fresh Yeast: 0.1%
Oil: 2%

I'm not yet satisfied with the rim's degree of browning but I will definitely make more of those  ;D
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:51:03 AM by blueeyes0710 »
"geht nicht" gibt's nicht

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: My Journey through Cracker Style Pies
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 02:56:44 AM »
Looking good. Have you thought about extending the toppings to the edge?
Hans

Offline blueeyes0710

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 11:26:01 AM »
Hi Hans,
I had asked myself whilst spreading the sauce over the pie but I decided not to, because
1) I wanted a crisp rim to enjoy eating ;) and
2) I wanted it as a reference point for possible upper and lower temp adjustments
3) I didn't want the mess in the oven I would've certainly made that way

I've read about styles that take toppings all the way to the edge but didn't try them yet.

Why do you ask? What's your view on that?
"geht nicht" gibt's nicht

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 01:13:46 PM »
Bleu, I only ask because most thin/cracker crust pizza seem to have the toppings extend to the edges. Having toppings extend to the edge would take care of your rim browning. I bake my thin crust in cutter pans placed on the stone so anything that may leave the pan is easily scraped off of the stone. I just prefer it that way.

That said there are no rules for thin crust pizza!
Hans

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #4 on: Today at 09:52:59 AM »
Bleu,

To give you an example of what a typical cracker-style pizza looks like with toppings to the edge like HBolte is referring to, I have posted some pics below.  This is the Round Table pizza clone that I make at home. Round Table may not strictly meet the criteria for cracker crust (hydration with this recipe is 48-50%), but it is a close cousin. I use a device on my gas grill called a 2stone (don't think you can get them anymore) which allows for high temperatures trapped in stones above and underneath the pizza.  I think it is similar in concept to a Blackstone pizza oven.  RT has traditionally had their sauce, cheese, and toppings go all the way to the edge with no crust showing.  For more information on Round Table, check the American Style pizza  forum.

As you can see, I didn't quite get it completely to the edge with the sauce because there some burnt edges (the sauce normally protects this from happening).

This one happens to be a family favorite: half-cheese, half Italian sausage and mushrooms.

-ME
« Last Edit: Today at 11:05:09 AM by Pete-zza »
Let them eat pizza.

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:25:00 PM »
  Man those pies make me go DOH!  :drool: For my crackers I use a cutter pan with a one inch lip. The exposed crust makes for a nice handle for holding the slice, and make for crunchy tidbits. Keep on experimenting, and as always include pics. These pics are from one of my latest attempts.

wordpress