A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Cracker Crust - stone vs cutter pan?  (Read 885 times)

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Re: Cracker Crust - stone vs cutter pan?
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 06:04:04 PM »
How did yours break?

Not sure, just seems to happen with these cheap thin stones. I don't want to replace another one so my next one will be a lot more durable.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 06:23:16 PM »
...I've gotten by using regular 9x13 pans but the straight sides make it hard to get a spatula under to remove...

Anyone have a trick for this? My pan has straight walls too and getting the pie out is always an adventure.
Matt

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 06:44:55 PM »
I broke 2 of the thinner stones (about 7/16) that I bought at the local restaurant supply for about 12 bucks.  Both broke when I took the oven over 500 degF.  The first time too.  I had baked on both a handful of times in the 450 to 475 degF range with no problem.

I went to an Old Stone Cordierite stone and no cracking at oven max for a couple of years now.  Reading up on Cordierite kiln shelves they say you can take them out of the kiln and throw them in a snow bank with no problem.

I also do cracker in a dark anodized cutter pan on the stone.  If I parbake (2.5 to 3 mins) I finish off directly on the stone after topping it out.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 06:46:37 PM by bigMoose »
All the best, Dave

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 12:16:01 PM »
Anyone have a trick for this? My pan has straight walls too and getting the pie out is always an adventure.

Usually greasing a pan with a solid fat saves the day but even that hasn't been fool proof for me lately. I think a different pan is the best option though as the straight sides make it hard to check how the bottom is coming along; I ruined two trays of pull apart rolls on Easter because I couldn't check the bottom lol.