A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: basic easy to remember NY Style dough recipe  (Read 35040 times)

Offline the1mu

• Lifetime Member
Re: basic easy to remember NY Style dough recipe
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2016, 06:59:50 AM »

Offline mitchjg

Mitch

We hate math, says 4 in 10 a majority of Americans

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2016, 11:20:08 AM »
Best slices I ever had.

Beauties Mike!  Are these the types you'll have in your shop for your NY style?  You were posting so many artisanal photos I had forgotten you made these. 

What would you say are the main factors into getting this evenly browned, thin pie with a small rimmed crust? 
Jeff

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2016, 12:05:04 PM »
My half slice.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2016, 12:15:15 PM »
Here are some of my thinner pies ...perhaps too dark for NY style .. from a 16"pie ..
Jeff

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2016, 01:13:47 PM »
My half slice.

That's what a slice should look like. How do you know if it's any good if you haven't taken a bite?  :-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2016, 01:44:53 PM »
I agree, great slice. But if I buy one that looks just like that, I want to pay 1/3 off  :-D

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2016, 01:46:13 PM »
Jeff, I'd go for that slice anytime...it looks really tasty!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2016, 07:16:09 PM »
One slice of NY boardwalk style of pizza.

Norma

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2016, 07:29:52 PM »
it's simple.  just follow this rule of thumb.  when a self proclaimed ny slice begins to reminisce of bread, that slice's game ends as far as ny slices go.   ................  and i repeat, there is absolutely no large crumb holes, no breadiness in authentic nyc style pizza.  there is no big dough spring in authentic nyc pizza.  that sort of thing is found in american style pizza, like chain pizza.

One slice of NY boardwalk style of pizza.

Norma

Oh gosh, now I do not know what to think.  A newly arrived expert is telling us no large crumb holes.  Our pizza star, winner of the NYC Caputo cup for NY Pizza, just posted a shot with a big crumb hole.

Please help me understand..............

Mitch

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2016, 07:56:48 PM »

Mitch,

I say anything each member likes is okay.   :-D  Chau posted earlier in the thread along with Craig's photo that doughs can be stretched very thin. 

Norma

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2016, 08:08:19 PM »
A newly arrived expert is telling us no large crumb holes.

I'm a life long NYer.  The pizza of my youth (in the '70s) that is being lamented here did not have large holes.  I believe that characteristic is a big part of what makes that style a classic.   Norma's slice isn't really what I'm talking about - that's a bubble.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 08:18:41 PM by jkb »
John

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2016, 08:11:30 PM »
Beauties Mike!  Are these the types you'll have in your shop for your NY style?  You were posting so many artisanal photos I had forgotten you made these. 

What would you say are the main factors into getting this evenly browned, thin pie with a small rimmed crust?

Jeff,

Those were part of a test Peter and I conducted quite awhile back to see if my dough formula really requires temps around 600F or if one can go lower and the outcome is here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8093.msg384716#msg384716

Bake time changed by 1-2 mins at perhaps 525F. I'm guessing that temp because my IR ran out of juice. The pie and slices turned out great.

And thanks for the nice comments.
Mike

All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Im capable of; you should make the best youre capable of. I dont want to make somebody elses pizza. ~ Chris Bianco

HarryHaller73

« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2016, 08:13:07 PM »
Oh gosh, now I do not know what to think.  A newly arrived expert is telling us no large crumb holes.  Our pizza star, winner of the NYC Caputo cup for NY Pizza, just posted a shot with a big crumb hole.

It is OK in the rim to see some large crumb holes in the random rim bubbles.  I think that's where she sliced it for the pic.  A cross section of a bubble.   In NYC, there are both thin and somewhat thicker rims, but the thinner were authentic.  I'm refering to the undercrust which is the majority of the pie.  Norma's pizza looks great.  It looks as thin as any good NY slice inside the rim.  Nice color throughout, great melt and browning and the beautiful orange sheen....
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 08:29:56 PM by HarryHaller73 »

HarryHaller73

« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2016, 08:15:56 PM »

And mind you, not downplaying the NYC Caputo cup, but their organization is originally of Neapolitan wood fire roots.  Not NYC pizza.  Vast majority of NY street pizzerias don't use Caputo.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 08:17:59 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2016, 08:20:48 PM »
Vast majority of NY street pizzerias don't use Caputo.

I don't think Norma did, either.
John

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2016, 08:36:04 PM »
I'm a life long NYer.  The pizza of my youth (in the '70s) that is being lamented here did not have large holes.  I believe that characteristic is a big part of what makes that style a classic.   Norma's slice isn't really what I'm talking about - that's a bubble.

Born in '52 in the Bronx.  Raised in Queens.  I know/remember NY Style pizza.  Grew up on it.
Frankly, I do not remember big holes as being there nor as being important.

I generally find that absolute statements made with absolute certainty about exactly what a real NY Style pizza leads to nothing but rumbles here.  That was my tongue in cheek point.

So, generally speaking, a fat rim with big holes is not the real deal.  But, I would not want the NY Style police to get too excited if my rim is bigger than your rim. 

I also believe that each native born's ideal may be different than another's.    The boroughs, the decades and the neighborhood you were in all contributed.  Probably your ethnicity.

It is OK in the rim to see some large crumb holes in the random rim bubbles.  I think that's where she sliced it for the pic.  A cross section of a bubble.   In NYC, there are both thin and somewhat thicker rims, but the thinner were authentic.  I'm refering to the undercrust which is the majority of the pie.  Norma's pizza looks great.  It looks as thin as any good NY slice inside the rim.

So, it is Ok in the top half of the rim, but not the bottom half?  It is less about the rim and more about the underside of the majority of the real estate?    See above. 

And mind you, not downplaying the NYC Caputo cup, but their organization is originally of Neapolitan wood fire roots.  Not NYC pizza.  Vast majority of NY street pizzerias don't use Caputo.

The judges of the NY Style section were not focussed on the elements of wood fired Neapolitan at all.  Caputo  was the sponsor but did not push that style in that section of the competition.  They were more interested, in terms of NY Style, in pushing their flour designed to support the style.  Ask Norma.

Mitch

HarryHaller73

« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2016, 08:37:39 PM »
I don't think Norma did, either.

I wonder if anyone in the tournament used the Caputo Pizzeria flour

I believe Norma uses GM Gold Medal Full Strength?

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 09:21:33 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2016, 08:39:21 PM »
It is OK in the rim to see some large crumb holes in the random rim bubbles.  I think that's where she sliced it for the pic.  A cross section of a bubble.   In NYC, there are both thin and somewhat thicker rims, but the thinner were authentic. 

HarryHaller73,

If you would get the chance to talk to Madeline Mastro Ferrentino she would say that NY style pizzas were meant to have raised rim crusts.  Madeline father and father helped to spread the word about NY style pizzas.  She often comments that her brother Vincent's pizzas at the World's Fair in 1964 made in those Blodgett 1000's had raised rims.  That is how Madeline's father and brother showed people how to make NY style pizzas way back to around 1938.  At that time there were no regular NY style pizzerias.  All NY style pizzas were sold in Italian Restaurants, bars, or other food places.  Madeline told me she or her brother counted how many places were selling NY style pizzas years ago.  There were about 100 of them, but none were pizzerias just selling pizzas.  What happened in the meantime who knows. 

Norma

HarryHaller73

« Reply #119 on: August 29, 2016, 08:40:09 PM »

So, it is Ok in the top half of the rim, but not the bottom half?  It is less about the rim and more about the underside of the majority of the real estate?    See above. 

the crust as a whole inside the rim.