A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My Giordano's stuffed pizza didn't turn out right last night  (Read 4988 times)

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
Hey guys,

Long time lurker here.  I tried GGTennis's dough recipe last night but it didn't come out as I expected.  I must have screwed up somewhere.  The dough was very dry as were the insides.  The dough tasted floury/breadlike too.  I only kneeded it for 2mins too so I'm not sure why it turned out with a bread like texture.

I didn't use the best cheese either, I used a low moisture mozzarella from GFS to see if I could get by with that.  Toppings were pepperoni and mushroom.  There was zero grease/moisture in my pizza.  Pizza was baked at 425F for 30 mins then 10 more minutes at 450F.

Here is the dough recipe I used for a 14 inch pie.

Dough:

5 1/4 cups King Arthur All-Purpose Flour, unbleached
2.625 tsp fleishmanns active dry yeast
2.25 cups water + 2.25 Tbsp water
2.625 tsp sugar
2.25 tsp Kosher Salt
3/4 cup canola oil
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

I let the dough rise for 2hrs at room temp then punched down and put in fridge for 48hrs.

Please see if you can figure out what went wrong.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 11:43:18 AM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
Re: My Giordano's pizza didn't turn out right last night
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 11:07:52 AM »
Hey guys,

Long time lurker here.  I tried GGTennis's dough recipe last night but it didn't come out as I expected.  I must have screwed up somewhere.  The dough was very dry as were the insides.  The dough tasted floury/breadlike too.  I only kneeded it for 2mins too so I'm not sure why it turned out with a bread like texture.

I didn't use the best cheese either, I used a low moisture mozzarella from GFS to see if I could get by with that.  Toppings were pepperoni and mushroom.  There was zero grease/moisture in my pizza.  Pizza was baked at 425F for 30 mins then 10 more minutes at 450F.

Here is the dough recipe I used for a 14 inch pie.

Dough:

2.625 tsp sugar
2.25 tsp Kosher Salt
3/4 cup canola oil

Please see if you can figure out what went wrong.

Have you ever had Giordano's stuffed pizza (stuffed IS what you were making, right?)?
I haven't had stuffed pizza in a while, but from my last memory of it, it sounds like you got pretty close to what I remember.
Giordano's stuffed pizza crust is more like a regular pizza dough, possibly a bit bready, crunchy and dry, and nothing like the biscuit texture of a standard single crust deep dish pizza like Lou Malnati's.

If it came out drier than you expected, it's possible you may have slightly overbaked it.

Do you have any pics?

try searching google images for photos of giordano's and see if they look like what you made.
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/

MAKING PIZZA AT HOME?
USE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB!
http://www.realdeepdish.com/deep-dish-equipment/

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
Re: My Giordano's stuffed pizza didn't turn out right last night
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 11:28:56 AM »
VCB - Yes I eat there quite frequently.  I have no pics to upload but I will point out pics from other users on this site to show you some comparisons.

Sorry but I can't post links yet:

Dough looked similar to this but less airy.  The crust was kind of "crumbly" if you know what I mean and the flavor was off.
ChicagoRules pizza thead - ChicagoRules Spinach pizza - Page 1

Giordano's dough is supposed to look like this.  Greasy all over that bottom dough.  This is what I'm trying to achieve.
Chicago Rules pizza thread - ElevenBravo Spinach Pizza - Page 6

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 10:45:20 AM »
So I have an update.  After nuking the pizza the next day it was nice and greasy (oils from cheese finally came out and the bottom dough was moister like it should be.  So what does this say about how the pizza was baked?  I baked it on the middle rack and the stone was only preheated for 15mins or so at 425F.  Seems to me like the pizza didn't get hot enough.  Am I on the right track here?

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 11:09:11 AM »
pythonic,

Am I to understand that you baked the stuffed pizza in a deep-dish pan on a pizza stone?  If so, I am not sure why, but in any case, 15 minutes would not be expected to be enough to fully heat a stone. 

Where did your dough recipe come from?

I am wondering if your oven temperature of 425 degrees might be a problem.  I normally use 450-475 for my deep-dish pizzas (I know, similar but different animal).  The lower temperature may have dried out the crust rather than cooking it properly.  It might also be that you need to up the hydration or fat (oil) content of the dough but that would require running numbers through the dough calculator to know for sure.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 11:18:54 AM »
Mad Ernie -

Yes I put my 14inch deep dish pan directly on the pizza stone.  I thought this was how it was supposed to be done?  For my recipe I used GGTennis's dough recipe found in the Chicagopizzakid giordano's thread.  I took his recipe and multiplied times 1.5 because my pan is 14inch vs his 9inch.  I'm thinking you are right though and it was dried out because of the lower temp.  His recipe said to bake at 450 but the pan instructions said to bake at 425 for the 1st initial bake.

Dough:

2.625 tsp sugar
2.25 tsp Kosher Salt
3/4 cup canola oil

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 11:52:50 AM »
pythonic,

What might have also contributed to your results is that the conversion from a 9" pan to a 14" pan is not linear. The conversion is based on area. Instead of using a 1.5 multiple, I believe a more accurate multiple would be around 2.1. It's possible that the difference resulted in a thinner crust that dried out too much.

Peter

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 01:05:44 PM »
Pete-zza,

Thanks for the heads up.  What do you think caused the lack of grease from the cheese though.  Too low of a temp or the cheese itself.  As stated earlier, after putting a slice into the microwave it tasted 100 times better.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 01:11:14 PM »
pythonic,

There are other members who know a lot more than I about the Chicago deep-dish style, but it sounds like the stone preheat was too short, especially for a 14" pizza, which is a large pizza.

Peter

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 01:51:40 PM »
Are you supposed to cook the deep dish pizza on a preheated stone or place if directly on the oven rack?

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 02:45:25 PM »
I've never used a stone for my deep-dish pizzas, but I suppose you could.  I'm not sure if it would make much difference.  Given your last attempt, trying cooking the next one with the pan directly on the oven rack and see what happens.
Let them eat pizza.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 04:51:31 PM »
pythonic,

When I made a stuff-crust Giordanoís pizza, I used a screen to bake on.  I donít know if this will help you or not, but this is the thread that I posted.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10018.msg87298.html#msg87298   

Norma

Offline buzz

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 10:12:26 AM »
If you're going to only let it rise for 2 hours, I think you need more yeast (2.5 ounces yeast per @3 cups of flour). I usually let mine rise for 6-8 hours because with such a short knead, the yeast insn't distributed fully and you get a lower rise, anyway. Lately I've been using fast-rise yeast which I proof first (normally you don't have to), which produces a bigger rise.

wordpress