A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Having trouble with DKMs Pizza Inn Thin  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Cosmas

Having trouble with DKMs Pizza Inn Thin
« on: July 21, 2010, 01:19:44 PM »
Hello everyone!

I'm a huge fan of thin crust pizzas at Pizza Inn, its pretty much all we eat here.
So I'm banging my head against the wall trying to get this thing right. I followed DKMs recipe exactly with the exception of the sugar. I had heard that Pizza Inn uses brown sugar in their crusts so I substituted that instead, but I'm sure its irrelevant.

When I'm mixing it together, it doesn't form a ball like the instructions say. Its very dry and pebble-like, which I assume is correct?
I let it rise at room temp in a plastic bucket overnight and it didn't seem to get much bigger at all.
My dough comes out tough. Like boot leather tough. It's damn near impossible to roll thin even with a rolling pin.
After rising: philipatha.com/pizza/DSC00655.JPG
Trying to roll: philipatha.com/pizza/DSC00656.JPG

Through amazing circumstance I was fortunate enough to come into possession of a small Vulcan industrial grade oven with a stone slab, but for right now I'm just using a common household GE convection oven.

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. The only thing I can think of is if I'm possibly using bad yeast. I just bought it yesterday, but I would've expected a larger rise.

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
Re: Having trouble with DKMs Pizza Inn Thin
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 03:20:34 PM »
Looks like it needed a tad more water and more of a mix.

Can you post a link to the recipe you used first?  (I'm aware you can't post full links yet but do what you can)

If you think the yeast is bad, try mixing a cup of water and a cup of flour together with a 1/4 tsp of yeast, mix until it's like pancake batter, and leave it out and covered, overnight at room temp. If you see no chance in the mixture then maybe you have bad yeast, but I doubt it.

It may be something simple like the amount of water you have used compared to the amount flour used, the 'hydration'.

Check check and check again.  Trial and error is your mentor in the world of baking. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 03:22:30 PM by Mick.Chicago »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 03:39:42 PM »
Cosmas,

If the dough recipe you used is the one at http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizzainnstyle.php, then you might want to take a look at this thread, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5762.0.html, and particularly the posts starting at Reply 16 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5762.msg49138.html#msg49138.

Peter

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 07:59:18 PM »
Actually, you are doing it just right or close. The mix want stick together but you should be able to push it together with your hands and squeeze it into sort of a loose ball.  The mix should feel well damp and that is about it.

When you roll it out, it is a bear.  But Peter worked on a solution based on the fact a restaurant kitchen is hot.  If you warm up the dough a bit, it will roll out much easier.

Randy

Offline Cosmas

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 03:19:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I'm going to switch over to high gluten flour and see if I get different results, but yea. I think think that perhaps I didn't quite use enough water and the yeast wasn't fully dissolved. I'll report back.
Thanks again!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress