A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Finally Am Trying to Activate My Starters  (Read 63181 times)

Offline Zerschmecker

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Finally Am Trying to Activate My Starters
« Reply #240 on: September 07, 2017, 08:41:38 AM »
Hi, I have a few questions about activating my culture, cananyone help me?
Two days ago I started activating my culture. Now I'm feeding it every 12hrs. I didn't really understand the proofing thing - do I have to divide my culture in 2 parts every time I feed it? Because I can only feed it 2 more times until my 1 Liter glass gets full. Is there any other thing I have to care of?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #241 on: September 07, 2017, 09:29:58 AM »
Hi, I have a few questions about activating my culture, cananyone help me?
Two days ago I started activating my culture. Now I'm feeding it every 12hrs. I didn't really understand the proofing thing - do I have to divide my culture in 2 parts every time I feed it? Because I can only feed it 2 more times until my 1 Liter glass gets full. Is there any other thing I have to care of?

Zerschmecker,

You might want to read these threads.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=48410.0

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=47513.0

Also read through some of the other starter threads. 

Not sure what kind of starter you are using.  If you post what kind of starter you are using maybe other members might be able to help more.  You need to discard some of the starter but can't recall right now how much.  Is your starter a homemade starter, or one that some forum members use like the dried ones from Ed Woods?

http://www.sourdo.com/cultures/italian-cultures-includes-two/

Norma

Offline Zerschmecker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #242 on: September 18, 2017, 07:18:32 AM »
Hi Norma,

Thank you for your links, they were really helpful. I'm using the dried starters from edwoods. My sourdoughs are working now, a few hours after feeding they double in size. They have a smell like apples, and it gets more liquid after time. Is this normal or bad? I tried it only one time to make my pizza dough with sourdough, bit something went wrong. It got really liquid (not like water but like a thick sauce) and the Gluten got less working. There was no stretch anymore and i could really easy split off some dough from the rest. The dough got tears really easy. The results after baking were bad as well, there was no rise in the dough, it stayed flat. Did I do anything wrong with the pizza dough itself or is my sourdough bad?
Robin

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #243 on: September 18, 2017, 08:35:27 AM »
Hi Norma,

Thank you for your links, they were really helpful. I'm using the dried starters from edwoods. My sourdoughs are working now, a few hours after feeding they double in size. They have a smell like apples, and it gets more liquid after time. Is this normal or bad? I tried it only one time to make my pizza dough with sourdough, bit something went wrong. It got really liquid (not like water but like a thick sauce) and the Gluten got less working. There was no stretch anymore and i could really easy split off some dough from the rest. The dough got tears really easy. The results after baking were bad as well, there was no rise in the dough, it stayed flat. Did I do anything wrong with the pizza dough itself or is my sourdough bad?
Robin

Robin,

Glad to hear your Ed Woods dried starters are active now.  The doubling in size after a few hours is good.  Wonder why your gets more liquid after time.  Do you measure your water and flour you add and do you discard any starter before feeding?  Also how often do you feed your starters and do you keep them at room temperature.  When I feed my starters I don't usually measure the flour and water, but do discard before feeding.  I use enough water and flour to make the starters look like a thicker pancake batter.  Think Craig does about the same.

You might want to search the forum about Craig's starter.

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #244 on: September 18, 2017, 11:22:26 AM »
Hi Norma,

Robin

It's normal for a starter to get more liquid over time as the acids and enzymes break down the gluten.

What was your formula and workflow for the dough that failed?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline mike2k84

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #245 on: October 13, 2017, 05:10:58 AM »
Hello, i put my active Ischia yeast in the Refrigerator (for 10 days now) yesterday i tryed to reactivate it with water and flour. today it looked like the Picture below.

is it ready 4 use ?!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #246 on: October 13, 2017, 07:24:38 AM »
Hello, i put my active Ischia yeast in the Refrigerator (for 10 days now) yesterday i tryed to reactivate it with water and flour. today it looked like the Picture below.

is it ready 4 use ?!

mike2k84,

Did you note what amount of time it took to become what the Ischia starter looks like in your photo?

Norma

Offline mike2k84

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #247 on: October 13, 2017, 07:47:15 AM »
mike2k84,

Did you note what amount of time it took to become what the Ischia starter looks like in your photo?

Norma

yeah, it took about 12 hours after i mixed water & flour in

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #248 on: October 13, 2017, 09:12:49 AM »
yeah, it took about 12 hours after i mixed water & flour in

mike2k84,

I like my Ischia starter to look like your photo about 4-6 hrs. after feeding.  That being said, since I don't use starters much in doughs, you might want to read some of Craig's posts.

This is one of them.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=48410.msg485600#msg485600

Maybe other members that use starters more will help you. 

Norma

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #249 on: October 13, 2017, 10:03:40 AM »

is it ready 4 use ?!

I grew my own starter. She makes some pretty awesome pies.

I use 2:1:1,
2 parts established levain (sometimes I use 3)
1 part water
1 part flour

Stir it up. Put it on top of the refrigerator and feed it once every 8-12 hours and feed it at least a few times before using it to make dough. Dont rush. It could take a couple days for you to see how healthy your levain is.
You should feed it. It should rise. You should feed it again and it should rise at least as much as the last time or more. 
The bubbles will be larger at the beginning and then will turn foamy as it declines. I never see the yellowish liquid on top aka "hooch" unless the levain has been stored in the refrigerator for days.

Use it after you are seeing good activity for a couple days

I use 25% levain in my recipes.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 02:49:10 PM by Dangerous Salumi »
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #250 on: October 13, 2017, 10:40:24 AM »

1 part water
1 part four

Parts by weight or volume?
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #251 on: October 13, 2017, 01:36:57 PM »
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #252 on: October 13, 2017, 01:42:45 PM »

1 part water
1 part four

Stir it up. Put it on top of the refrigerator and feed it once every 8-12 hours and feed it at least a few times before using it to make dough. Dont rush. It could take a couple days for you to see how healthy your levain is.
You should feed it. It should rise. You should feed it again and it should rise at least as much as the last time or more. 
The bubbles will be larger at the beginning and then will turn foamy as it declines. I never see the yellowish liquid on top aka "hooch" unless the levain has been stored in the refrigerator for days.

Use it after you are seeing good activity for a couple days

I use 25% levain in my recipes.

I would also like to add that you drain off as much as you put in.
Have a Dangerous day!