A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Have you had this cheese melt?  (Read 10049 times)

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Re: Have you had this cheese melt?
« Reply #320 on: April 24, 2017, 09:13:06 PM »
Fair enough. Still probably a good learning exercise at the very least. Recently 2 members (Ryan and JD?) were asking the last time I baked NY in my kitchen oven. Below is the last one I remember. I preheated at 500 for an hour with the stone reaching 530. Bake time 7:45 with San Marzanos and Galbani mozz. Looks better than I thought it would given it was a year and a half ago.

Reply 72:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=39004.msg399166#msg399166
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:17:23 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #321 on: April 24, 2017, 09:29:39 PM »
Fair enough. Still probably a good learning exercise at the very least. Recently 2 members (Ryan and JD?) were asking the last time I baked NY in my kitchen oven. Below is the last one I remember. I preheated at 500 for an hour with the stone reaching 530. Bake time 7:45 with San Marzanos and Galbani mozz. Looks better than I thought it would given it was a year and a half ago.

Reply 72:

Definitely not bad at all. With Grande for your melt and your higher oil dough you should be able to get a Sacco like undercrust for sure in your home oven,

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #322 on: April 24, 2017, 10:36:37 PM »

Reply 72:

Matt,

Your pizza baked at that temperature looked good.  It is interesting that different members can get good bakes at different temperatures.

I forgot to post the link to where Steve's (Ev) BBQ grill mod was in my last post.  Steve's BBQ grill mod is at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20006.0  I timed some of the bakes of those pizzas and photos of the bake times.  The bake times that were timed were about 3:00-3:15 minutes, and the bottom weren't even burnt.  Steve's dough was also highly fermented and had popped off the lids.  I sure don't know what really goes on in bake times, and different ovens and all of the other variables but don't think I will every figure things out. 

Chau also used firebricks at Reply 3 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=11133.msg100360#msg100360 and said he had a hard time burning the bottom crusts.

Norma

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #323 on: April 25, 2017, 07:02:49 AM »
Thanks Norma. Steve's BBQ pies look good. Different melt though.
Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #324 on: April 25, 2017, 08:03:37 AM »
Thanks Norma. Steve's BBQ pies look good. Different melt though.

Matt,

Your are right that Steve's cheese had a different melt.  It was just a cheaper shredded bag cheese. Can't recall the name of the bagged cheese. There was a photo of the bagged cheese along with the pepperoni in that thread.  Still wonder how another better mozzarella would have melted.  It is always all of the variables that go into making pizzas that are interesting.  :-D

Norma

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #325 on: April 25, 2017, 06:50:50 PM »
...It is always all of the variables that go into making pizzas that are interesting.  :-D

Norma

Absolutely.  Seemingly endless amounts of fun!
Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #326 on: April 25, 2017, 06:52:20 PM »
Roy, what's your view on NY in a Blackstone versus kitchen oven? You've made tons of both and seem to have switched over to the kitchen exclusively.
Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #327 on: Yesterday at 04:42:52 PM »
Does this look like some sort of screen bake? There was a very tight crosshatch pattern. This was easily the best pizza I've had in my town. Thin and chewy, likely romano and parmigiano, probably alot of sugar in the sauce, nice melt. I didn't get any other pictures unfortunately, was at a kids birthday party.
Matt

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #328 on: Yesterday at 06:01:09 PM »
Could be a type of mesh screen like Harry posted about from Margherita Pizza, Queens. I still don't understand how to get this golden brown under crust color, if I have sugar in my dough, to get it to an even undercrust color it ends up way darker than that.

I actually am going the other way with oil percent as I have a hard time getting thin AND chewy. I'm not using high gluten flour right now though either.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:02:40 PM by invertedisdead »

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #329 on: Yesterday at 06:11:33 PM »
That golden brown looks like oil on the dough to me.  Perhaps it's used to keep it from sticking to the fine mesh.  Hard to be sure, but the color tells me there's some frying action involved.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:13:30 PM by Glutenboy »
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #330 on: Yesterday at 07:02:47 PM »
Does this look like some sort of screen bake? There was a very tight crosshatch pattern. This was easily the best pizza I've had in my town. Thin and chewy, likely romano and parmigiano, probably alot of sugar in the sauce, nice melt. I didn't get any other pictures unfortunately, was at a kids birthday party.

No board flour obviously as it's on mesh/screen and then undocked to stone for last minutes.  Bake lower at 500.   Use very little flour during opening.  Excess flour and higher temp is what burns and gets char.  Higher oil than most formulations.

This even golden undercrust is typical of what you'll find in Queens.

Offline Josh123

« Reply #331 on: Today at 11:41:17 AM »
Could be a type of mesh screen like Harry posted about from Margherita Pizza, Queens. I still don't understand how to get this golden brown under crust color, if I have sugar in my dough, to get it to an even undercrust color it ends up way darker than that.

I actually am going the other way with oil percent as I have a hard time getting thin AND chewy. I'm not using high gluten flour right now though either.

Thin and chewy, you need that All Trumps

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #332 on: Today at 01:26:28 PM »
Thin and chewy, you need that All Trumps

I'm tempted to buy a bag of the non-bromated version of All Trumps .  Even though I'll never get through 50lbs, it's probably cheaper than getting King Arthur Hi-gluten shipped.

Josh, can you post a picture of the bottom of your slice?

Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #333 on: Today at 01:28:16 PM »

Have you tried Harry's suggestion? Same-day room temp ferment, somewhat higher TF, more oil (and hi-gluten). I still haven't.

« Last Edit: Today at 03:03:02 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #334 on: Today at 01:35:06 PM »
No board flour obviously as it's on mesh/screen and then undocked to stone for last minutes.  Bake lower at 500.   Use very little flour during opening.  Excess flour and higher temp is what burns and gets char.  Higher oil than most formulations.

This even golden undercrust is typical of what you'll find in Queens.

Do you think I should use zero bench flour? I used to open the dough with flour only on one side, then flip it onto the peel. Not sure if that will cause sticking issues on a screen. (It wasn't great on the peel. I'd end up with a ton of semolina stuck to the bottom of the pie.)

« Last Edit: Today at 01:45:45 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #335 on: Today at 03:25:05 PM »
Do you think I should use zero bench flour? I used to open the dough with flour only on one side, then flip it onto the peel. Not sure if that will cause sticking issues on a screen. (It wasn't great on the peel. I'd end up with a ton of semolina stuck to the bottom of the pie.)

Just coat both sides with flour in a bowl.  There's a difference between that and stretching and pressing on a mountain of flour. 

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #336 on: Today at 04:29:09 PM »
Last week I said that I wanted to try a kitchen-oven bake. I realized that to do so, I'd have to move my good stone from the Blackstone. But I wanted to bake on the BS at that same time. Given that I have no desire to figure out the BS standard stone, I figured it was a good time to try the screen again in the BS. When I tasted the pizzeria pie discussed above, I knew I was making a good decision to give the screen another shot.

All 3 of my 14'' pies used 7.75 ounces of cheese (with TF of 0.075), which was fantastic. I'm amazed that I was using 5oz not too long ago. Tried 5% oil, 54% water again.

The melt in the Kitchen was fantastic! I'm not sure that I can say that it stands alone as my best melt, but is likely tied with my best BS bakes. I preheated my smallish (doublestack) electric oven at 500 degrees for about an hour. The stone read 520. Bake time 7:30. On the downside, the rim was overdone, maybe I'll try no sugar in the dough. And the undercrust wasn't what I'm seeking. The undercrust was a bit uneven, with parts done more than I want, other parts less. Not sure if my stone temp was uneven, or maybe my stretch. Very tasty pie though.

The screen bake in the BS was very good too. I like how the melt develops with the screen. The BS stone was a bit hotter than I wanted (550ish), and it blackens my crust very quick. Bake time was 7 minutes with the first 5:30 on the screen. The regulator was down 3/4 turn with the flame on low. Unfortunately I only had a small taste of it, but I like where it's headed. (The third pie was botched by having the BS stone at 360, but it still tasted good.)

Putting the 2 together, I'm considering a screen bake in my kitchen oven. One concern is heat loss when I open the door to move the pie to the stone. But its worth a shot.

Pics below of the kitchen/stone and BS/screen bakes.

« Last Edit: Today at 04:31:34 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #337 on: Today at 10:44:55 PM »
Roy, what's your view on NY in a Blackstone versus kitchen oven? You've made tons of both and seem to have switched over to the kitchen exclusively.
I take a lot of time to make sure the ovens are interchangeable. I stick to one oven when I am on the final few weeks of a big next-level change. BS will be used more very soon. Ordering a similar stone this week as I just switched to using inside oven.

The BS can do anything. I've made some incredible examples of NY Street on it. Better than the inside oven, until recently. The current use of Firebricks with the BS kicks butt at 550F and up. Below 545F or so and I struggle with consistency. The regulator at about a full turn back or so just doesn't give me well saturated bricks at low temps. I need to work on that. Stone switch might be answer.

All nice looking bakes, btw. You had a stone at 360F for one of them? Is that a typo?
« Last Edit: Today at 10:52:22 PM by rparker »
Embrace the challenge. Do not accept difficult as impossible. Enjoy the journey. Become your own pizza memory.

(Please assume all appropriate genre identification disclaimers as rendered.)