Author Topic: Flour Used Circa 1980 - 1985 in Upstate NY  (Read 434 times)

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
Flour Used Circa 1980 - 1985 in Upstate NY
« on: November 20, 2016, 08:47:52 PM »
I realize food products have changed quite a bit in the last 30-40 years, but here goes.

Does anyone have any idea which flour(s) or flour types were commonly used in NY Style Pizzerias in Upstate NY. As regional as some things can be, the region would be the Route 20 Corridor and Mohawk Valley stretch from Albany to Syracuse. Maybe any compares to modern day flour.

I do know the first time I tasted an All Trumps bleached bromated effort of mine that I thought to myself that this is really close to "that" flavor. Similarly before I tried All Trumps, I had thought Full Strength bleached/bromated to be a lot closer to that flavor than what I was using before.

Just some flour curiosity. If something comes from this, I will include it with my flour tests in a month or two.  Hopefully somebody from that area and era has a nice trip down memory lane with decent recall on some specifics.  ;D

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Flour Used Circa 1980 - 1985 in Upstate NY
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 11:18:38 AM »
I can't speak to that time frame, but the three flours I've seen pizza places use are All Trumps, Full Strength and Progressive Bakers Hummer.

The move to Hummer may be timed to the opening of Restaurant Depot a few years ago though I know of one place that has always used it. At least that's what they told me.

If you can't get Hummer flour for your tests, I've got a bunch and could send you some.

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 12:12:42 PM »
Thanks for the Info, Jon. I'll take you up on it when time comes nearer. Perhaps I'll have something you want to trade favors.  8)

Roy

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 08:27:32 PM »
Thanks for the Info, Jon. I'll take you up on it when time comes nearer. Perhaps I'll have something you want to trade favors.  8)

Roy
No problem. I get 50 pound bags of it from Restaurant Depot so I usually have at least 10 to 20 pounds I can spare at given time.

Offline quietdesperation

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 09:21:00 PM »
I was a starving student in albany during that time period. Not sure what you think of the fountain pizza, but some of my friends reverse engineered it for a bar they opened. It was spot-on, if you're interested, I'll reach out to them and see what flour they used.

on another note, I was sorry to see lou-bea's closed its doors in albany. They had a good student special, I recall the slices were pretty good.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 09:26:45 PM by quietdesperation »

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 07:27:54 AM »
I was a starving student in albany during that time period. Not sure what you think of the fountain pizza, but some of my friends reverse engineered it for a bar they opened. It was spot-on, if you're interested, I'll reach out to them and see what flour they used.

on another note, I was sorry to see lou-bea's closed its doors in albany. They had a good student special, I recall the slices were pretty good.
thanks for the offer, quietdesperation. (or do you prefer Mr istheenglishway - which will make no sense if you didn't ger your username from where I think you did.)

I don't know from either of the place you are talking about. If you are talking the capital area, I lived 75 miles west. Everyone knew us as the town with the junk yard right in the middle of it. Anyhow, if they operated in that time period in that region, perhaps the flour they came up with might hav similar charactaristics. It's worth a shot if not too much of a problem. I did get big hints of that flavor right off the bat with All Trumps, fwiw.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 01:19:42 PM »
Our office parties used to be pizza from the Lou Bea's on Western. Then it got sold, wasn't as good, and another location was opened by the original owners on Delaware Ave. I think they bought the Western shop back too, then Delaware shop had a fire, I think Western got sold again. I forget the name of the place, but the Western Ave location is still a pizza shop. It was terrible during my one and only visit.

I'm so-so on the Fountain but the people that like it, really love it. I heard some topping combinations pair better with the sauce and crust than others.

Online hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 06:49:36 PM »
Any reason to think that the pizzerias upstate were using different flour than those in NYC? I ask as I suspect you'll have a much easier time finding out about NYC.

Matt

Offline quietdesperation

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 08:10:28 PM »
I checked with my friends, they used to purchase dough balls, so no help. On albany pizza, I was just to lou-beas on western, the student lunch special was something like 2 slices and a soda for $2. The owners got to know my group of friends and when we visited a couple of years after graduation, they brought over a free pie...really nice gesture. I'm not in love w the fountain pizza though rubbing the pan with fresh garlic was an interesting touch.

we have a reunion in albany every year, I think we were at ralph's, a lot of people were eating pizza, looked interesting, more like pan pizza.

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 10:22:06 PM »
Any reason to think that the pizzerias upstate were using different flour than those in NYC? I ask as I suspect you'll have a much easier time finding out about NYC.
Different world up there. All our everything in any business I knew of came from Albany or Syracuse distributors. Obvviosuly I was not in pizza business, but that's the way everything else seemed to be. Very well could have been the same.

I think on other thing was someone mentioned a particular mill/brand being available in the boonies before the big boys cared enough about the market size and went in.

Besides that, nuttin at all.  ;D 

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 10:23:13 PM »
I checked with my friends, they used to purchase dough balls, so no help. On albany pizza, I was just to lou-beas on western, the student lunch special was something like 2 slices and a soda for $2. The owners got to know my group of friends and when we visited a couple of years after graduation, they brought over a free pie...really nice gesture. I'm not in love w the fountain pizza though rubbing the pan with fresh garlic was an interesting touch.

we have a reunion in albany every year, I think we were at ralph's, a lot of people were eating pizza, looked interesting, more like pan pizza.
Thanks for checking with your friends, quietdesperation.