A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Cooler Proofing  (Read 782 times)

Offline sodface

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Cooler Proofing
« on: May 08, 2016, 09:15:13 AM »
After reading Craig's long post on RT proofing I though I might experiment with proofing in a cooler as others here have done.  I used a raspberry pi and temp sensor that I had already from another project and got some preliminary data to look at.  Here's a couple of graphs with the temperature logged every minute for about 21.5 hours.  Temp on the Y axis and minute on the X.   I started with just an empty cooler inside at room temperature and then at about the 360 minute mark I put in one of those plastic ice blocks, which is where you see the graph take a nose dive.

The "Raw" numbers are what the sensor reports (in C, 5 digits, put a decimal point after the first two digits) and then the F numbers are just the converted raw data and rounded to the nearest whole number.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 09:20:00 AM by sodface »
Carl

Offline sodface

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Cooler Proofing
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 05:44:39 PM »
Got a single dough ball in the cooler now, plan on baking it tomorrow night.  Due to my poor time management skills, it didn't go in until around 1000 this morning, so I went with 31 hours for the target proofing time and added IDY according to Craig's chart.  I guess we'll see how it goes.  I've been messing around with various ice block combinations, I started this one out with a rubbermaid blue ice block wrapped in foam and then put another one in when the temp wasn't coming down from 72.  That's where you see it go from 72 to 69.  Looks like it's been steady at 69 for about 5 hours now.
Carl

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 05:50:54 PM »
I did some similar tests to profile the cooler set-up I use: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18509.msg179991.html#msg179991
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline sodface

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 06:03:58 PM »
I did some similar tests to profile the cooler set-up I use: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18509.msg179991.html#msg179991

Yes, I read that thread, that's where I got the idea  :D

It's kinda of an old thread so I was wondering if you still proofed in a cooler?

My C to F conversion smooths out the graph quite a bit and makes it look a lot more linear than it really is.
Carl

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 06:22:19 PM »
Yup. Still do.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline sodface

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 12:03:58 PM »
27.5 hours in.  Plan on pulling the dough around 5pm.
Carl

Offline sodface

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 05:19:03 PM »
Pics of the pie from this dough here.

Here's the graph of the full proof period.  Need to work on ways to maintain a more consistent temperature.
Carl

wordpress