A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tartine Bakery's "Tartine Bread" cookbook  (Read 15442 times)

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 08:46:30 AM by ERASMO »

Pizza01

Re: Tartine Bakery's "Tartine Bread" cookbook
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 02:55:27 PM »
could someone please wheigh the book? i want buy my piece from ebay and its importent for tax.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 03:00:58 PM »
Michael, I'm at work now but will weigh it later for you when I get home if no one has posted it yet.

Chau
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 03:10:04 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 03:05:15 PM »
could someone please wheigh the book? i want buy my piece from ebay and its importent for tax.

1.3kg

Pizza01

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 03:33:11 PM »
thank you chau and thank you bill.
man thats a problem more then 0.5 kg shiping to israel its a problem, damm israel no pizza, no amazone, nothing here is right.  :-D

Pizza01

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 07:10:44 AM »
what do you think of this prices ? its the lowest i can get to israel,  not cheap.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 10:42:29 PM »
prices are not that bad for such a good book.  I got mine for under 20 shipped ( in the us) used(lightly) on ebay.  Maybe one of these would be better if they will ship it to you.  It helped me make the best bread I have ever made.  I still have to try the other recipies in there.  Soon.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=tartine+bread&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Pizza01

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 07:09:42 AM »
thanks but with shipping ahe lowest price comes down to 40$.

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2011, 07:55:53 PM »
thanks but with shipping ahe lowest price comes down to 40$.

It's worth it.  trust me.

This book has helped my pizza more than any other resource or tool,  (With the possible exception of pizzamaking.com.)

As a side benefit on your first try to bake a Tartine loaf you will probably make a loaf of bread better than anything you can buy commercially.  And it only gets better from there.

Thisnbook teaches you what to look for at each stage of dough development and it gives you great dough handling tecniques.

I'd pay a 100 bucks if I had to.

Pizza01

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2011, 08:03:39 PM »
that sound great si that it i will buy it.
but just one thing lets say if i want to make bread or pizza without the sour taste from the book is it possible?
i dont like the sour taste.

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2011, 11:29:54 PM »
that sound great si that it i will buy it.
but just one thing lets say if i want to make bread or pizza without the sour taste from the book is it possible?
i dont like the sour taste.

One of the central mesages in Tartine is the use of a young leaven which gives a very mild, not sour loaf.  More importantly, CR describes the smell of the different stages of sourdough development so you can use your nose to design whatever flavor profile you want.

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 04:44:07 PM »
One of the nice things about this book... is how descriptive his technique is... and all the different recipes offered for ...

The bread you make
once it goes stale
Breadcrumbs

Savory, Sweet.... it's got it all.

I love this book.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2017, 01:30:23 PM »
Having made pizza for the last year or so, I have just begun my journey into homemade breads.   I have now only made a few awesome loaves of bread from this book.   If one has some experience with dough be it pizza or bread, the techniques offered in this book are very simple to pick up.  The book is well written with lots of pictures for the home baker to compare to. 

I have been so busy doing rather than reading, that I finally decided to start reading this book.   I've only made it 30 pages or so into the book and once again find myself impress with the author.  He shares his personal story and his lifelong quest for his perfect loaf.   I can really connect with his philosophy and methods.

He shares in this book some really key truths about bread that really stands out as significant & important to me.  For example on page 8, he tells of how his first mentor would like to say "dough is dough" implying all breads are closely related - even the ones that seemed different.   

To the casual reader, this statement may not have any significance.  To the baker that envisions a perfect loaf and approaches bread making "as both a craft and a philosophy of ingredients and how they interact" it has much significance. 

On page 20, Chad speaks of another mentor Richard Bourdon who taught him about proper hydration of the dough through the example of cooking rice.  "Try to cook a cup of rice in a half cup of water". 
Growing up in an asian family, I understandbly ate a ton or rice.   :-D  Depending on the year the rice was harvested, each crop requires a different amount of water to cook it in.  Underhdyrate rice and its tough and uncooked.  Overhydrate it and its mushy.  Adding just the right amount of water makes the grain come alive giving it proper moisture and texture.   Same with bread and pizza dough.   

Chad says of Bourdon's bread being "exceptionally moist and tender.. (having)...a depth of flavor achieved only after a long, slow rise using natural leaven.   

Anyways, just a few tidbits from the book I thought important enough to share.   This book is full of pearls of wisdom that will likely improve any readers skill and understanding of the process of bread making.  I would also say it has improved my understanding and management of my pizza dough as well.   

Chau

After all these years, I've finally made it to the bakery here in San Fran.   I'll have to say that i am equally as impressed with their food as I am with his book.  We had the croissant au ccocolate, the almond cream croissant, and savory scone.  They were all delicious and the coffee was excellent as well.  Very well made and balanced products.  Each item stood well on its own merit.  I left only wishing I had more room to try everything on their menu.  I'm hoping to return this afternoon to purchase a bit of bread. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 01:34:42 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2017, 01:36:15 PM »
Yum!!
Hans