Author Topic: Neapolitan Pizza Questions  (Read 832 times)

Offline Inner10

Neapolitan Pizza Questions
« on: November 01, 2010, 08:53:35 PM »
Hello All,

In an attempt to recreate my favorite style of pizza I have been searching through this forum constantly.  My mission is to recreate a Neapolitan style pizza (like the kind I enjoyed as a youngster).  I have began butchering a once good Weber One-Touch grill to convert it to the so called "little black egg" pizza cooker.  I have also sourced some 00 flour and all the necessary ingredients... unfortunately that is where I'm a little lost.

Can someone point me in the right direction for a good recipe and give me a few pointers on how to make the dough properly?

Many Thanks,

Kevin

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Neapolitan Pizza Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 07:07:55 AM »
You can use the Lehmann calculator in the dough tools section to get started. Use 280 grams for the ball size, 60% hydration, .2 IDY, and 2.8 salt. Add the water to the bowl, dissolve the salt in the water, add the IDY and stir, and immediately add all the flour. Mix the ingredients until incorporated, and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then mix on a slow speed (or hand knead) for around 5-7 minutes until you get a smooth consistency (the point of "pasta"). Ball and refrigerate for 18 hours. Bring back to room temp (around 1-2 hours) before baking. This recipe is assuming you are using an italian style 00 flour (like Caputo) and a high heat (800+) bake.

This is purely a starting point - change it as you see fit, and keep experimenting. Others on the forum have different workflows that suit their ovens and tastes. I have found that cold fermented doughs are alot easier to start with, as the temperature will be consistent in your fridge during fermentation. Good luck and post your results.

John
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 07:10:22 AM by dellavecchia »