A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: cracker in a blackstone  (Read 1516 times)

Offline bonesbr549

cracker in a blackstone
« on: January 10, 2016, 12:59:45 PM »
Anybody done a cracker crust in a blackstone?   Second if you have a recipie for wings that would be cool.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: cracker in a blackstone
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 03:05:50 PM »
I didn't do cracker, but I did a bunch of bar style in the BS. Use whatever recipe you like and just get the heat right.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 09:12:54 PM »
I am no expert on cracker style, but I made a few.   I did not parbake, but did turn the BS way down.

Offline BadDad63

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 02:20:16 AM »
I do cracker on the BS. I parbake in a cutter pan. I use a temp gun and get the bottom stone to 550-575. Parbake only takes about a minute or so . Just enough to see the crust forming air pockets. Then I add sauce, cheese and toppings. I place the pizza directly on the stone with the flame low. I check the bottom and when it starts to brown I turn up the flame to get the top done. I've never timed it but it's pretty fast. Took a little practice to figure out you have to let the bottom cook a little before you turn up the gas or the top would burn before the bottom was done. Or if you started with the bottom too hot it burns before the top is done. 550-575 seems to be about right for me. I use DKM's recipe except I use 1/2 bread flour and 1/2 all purpose. I like to let it sit on the counter at least 24 hours, 48 is even better.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 02:26:41 AM by BadDad63 »

Offline JoeDSM

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 01:14:59 PM »
Can't help you with the pizza question, but if you are still looking for wing recipes, I made this recipe last week and it was awesome.  Great technique if you don't have a fryer.

Offline dieter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 05:41:36 PM »
Anybody done a cracker crust in a blackstone?   Second if you have a recipie for wings that would be cool.

What is blackstone?

Offline Mooose

• Moose on Fire
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 07:04:33 PM »
What is blackstone?

It's a great pizza oven for the money - I love mine. Here's a long thread about it:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25127.0

Blackstone Pizza Oven
Super Peel
And a bunch of other cool pizza stuff

Offline Yeller

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 10:04:10 AM »
My attempt with DKM's - No par bake no cutter pan no docking YEs forgot..too excited.. right onto stone. Lower stone was at 575 dwell time was about 4 min low gas then off with gas and let sit 2.5 min on stone. Turned out very crisp but a tad dry and I'm wondering if the oil+cutter would eliminate that..??

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 02:24:12 PM »
I don't know yeller, I tend to consider a "cracker" crust as being characteristically dry... the par bake only accentuates it. Dry = crunch. Perhaps more sauce or cheese would help? Otherwise a different pizza may be what you're looking for? I like to bake mine at 450 for at least 10+ minutes so it comes out dry (and crunchy)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 10:20:45 PM »
We had a discussion awhile back about cracker crust baking temperature but that was in a pan.  I am thinking go close to 650 on the lower stone and do my normal cracker crust but no pan and no parbake.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 07:53:00 AM »
My first cracker crust on the blackstone was somewhat disappointing in terms of crispy with exception of the very edge.  Very tasty, just not quite there yet.

I launched at 550F.  I was going to launch at 650 but the pizza was ready at 550 so just went with that temperature.

I used my standard cracker crust recipe which has its linage in DKM's recipe.  I rolled it out to the same size as an oven baked, then used the the normal 16" pan as a guide to cut a 16" dia crust.  Then tolled the edge in to make the disk fit my 14" launch peel.

With the edge being very close to right.  Next time I willl launch at 650F.

wordpress