A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tommy's Pizza (Columbus OH) - Any recipe ideas  (Read 173445 times)

Offline bobgraff

Re: Tommy's Pizza (Columbus OH) - Any recipe ideas
« Reply #420 on: July 02, 2017, 10:19:55 AM »
One of the Columbus sports anchors has close ties to the Italian community here and recently posted his pizza recipe.  Although it's not a laminate dough, I thought the use of olive oil and molasses might be interesting additions to try.  Finishing the pie directly on the oven rack might worth a shot for you pan bakers out there.

http://www.10tv.com/article/recipe-doms-homemade-pizza

Edit: Copying recipe here in case the link dies...

Dom’s Homemade Pizza

2  1/2 cups Flour
2  1/4 tsp Yeast
2  tsp  molasses
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1 cup warm Water
2 TBSP olive Oil

In a bowl combine water, molasses and oil.
In a stand mixer combine dry products flour, yeast and salt.
Turn mixer on low and add wet products.
Raise speed of mixer till thoroughly mixed.
Form into dough ball and put it in a floured bowl, cover and let rise.

Once it has risen, take dough on a floured surface and begin spreading it out.
Use a floured rolling pin and roll to thickness of choice. (I like mine thin)
Place dough on oiled pizza pan.

Spread sauce on the dough. Use a high quality sauce … Bonta or Red Pack are good choices.
Cover with Cheese… I like a mixture of Mozzarella and Provolone 50-50
Add your toppings: There is nothing better in my book than pepperoni and Italian Sausage. Anything goes whatever you like!
Sprinkle Italian seasoning on top… a pinch of garlic powder and parmesan cheese.

Heat oven to  500 degrees… place pizza on middle rack of the oven and check it ever few minutes.
Once it is done on the top check the bottom and if it is brown remove it from the pan carefully and let it sit on the oven rack for just a couple more minutes.

Remove it from the oven and enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:24:22 AM by bobgraff »
Bob

"I learn each day what I need to know to do tomorrow’s work." - Arnold Toynbee

Offline JAG

« Reply #421 on: July 03, 2017, 09:02:18 AM »
Dom's ingredients are very close to a Mellow Mushroom dough.

JG

Offline 333meg

• Surprisingly pizza obsession has not made me fat.
« Reply #422 on: July 04, 2017, 12:57:23 PM »
I have made Dom's pizza recipe, in fact it's what made me move forward with attempting Ryan's clone. I have to say Columbus, Ohio pizza is making it's mark!
Pursuing pizza has put me into an airplane, in a car and on road trips of hundreds of miles...

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #423 on: July 04, 2017, 12:57:39 PM »
I wrote the remainder of this post several months ago, but I guess I just haven't had the mental energy to get it together and post it here...

I've been thinking about this stuff for months, including a lot of stuff I chose not to mention in this post. Since the Tommy's threads have been inactive for a while, I thought it might be appropriate to finally share what I've been thinking. Below is the formula and recipe I would use if I was going to make Tommy's style pizza right now.

Formula***
100% Bread flour (ideally Bellissimo HG)
50% Warm/hot water
1.5% IDY
1.5% Salt
2% Malt syrup/powder
2% Oil

***I'm not calling this my "best-yet" dough formula (because I've never made it), but it probably is. The yeast percentage might need to change a little, but that's something that will have to be learned through trial and error.

Recipe for one 15" pizza (I'll figure this out and post it later. Unless I don't. This part is what has kept me from publishing this post for so long.):

Flour
 Water
 IDY
 Salt
 Malt syrup
 Oil

Instructions:
  • After scaling dough ingredients, stir dry ingredients in mixer bowl, then add malt syrup, oil, and water to dry ingredients.
  • Mix for 7-10 minutes.
  • Bulk ferment at room temperature for at least 3 hours.
  • Sheet and trim according to instructions in best-yet post (or my laminated cracker style video).
  • Cover skin with plastic wrap.
  • Refrigerate skin for at least 12 hours. (This is how you get blisters.)
  • Top and bake (directly on stone, at 500-525°F) within minutes of removing skin from refrigerator.
Thoughts: In my limited experience using IDY, I think I have learned that there is no need to use a conversion between IDY and ADY. That is, my working conversion is 1:1. When I have used IDY (all my videos up to this point), I used just a little lower yeast percentage than I would've used if I'd used ADY, and my dough fermented a little less/slower than I expected every time. (I think I even say something about this when I pick up the dough ball in my NY style video.)

One major change I've made with this formula (vs. best-yet) is that I decreased the oil percentage from 5% to 2%. That change is based on the fact that I used 5% in the video, which made my crust more crunchy/crumbly than I expect of Tommy's crust. It's also because when I went to Tommy's with 333meg and again with Floridian, Tommy's pizza wasn't crumbly.

Another change is that I increased the hydration by several percentage points. It's a little difficult for me to be sure about that figure, but I feel like it's a move in the right direction. Especially now that we know (thanks to Floridian's dumpster diving excursions) that Tommy's uses high gluten flour, rather than AP flour, which I've always used.

Regarding dough management, I feel like fazzari's "Every trick" method is not the way to go with Tommy's style. Rather, I feel like Tommy's dough needs a proper bulk ferment. If I was to do Tommy's right now, I'd try a 3-hour room-temperature bulk ferment with very warm dough, because if Tommy's makes dough first thing in the morning, they probably let it bulk ferment until about 10:00 am, then start sheeting the dough about an hour before lunch rush begins. (This may require more yeast than I indicated in the formula above.)

An alternative dough management option, I suppose, would be to make the dough in the morning, then bulk ferment all day at room temperature, then sheet the dough after dinner rush. Which would be about a 12-hour bulk ferment. This would probably require less yeast in the formula than when doing a 3-hour bulk ferment.

If you don't have malt syrup or malt powder, substitute sugar for malt syrup, but use probably half as much (or whatever I used in the best-yet formula). I haven't had many chances to use malt syrup, so the best pizzas I've made of this style happened before I ever had a chance to try malt syrup. Even though I have made a big deal about malt syrup, as have others, I'm inclined to think it's fine to use sugar instead of malt syrup.

From this point, follow the procedures I outlined in the best-yet post (a link to that post can be found in Reply #1), except leave your skin refrigerated at least 12 hours before baking. (That part is very important. I had it wrong when I wrote the best-yet post.)
Ryan
http://www.ryanspizzablog.blogspot.com

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #424 on: July 08, 2017, 09:18:50 AM »
I took a stab at Ryan's latest 50% dough.

410g Gold Medal Bread flour
205g Water
6g IDY
6g Salt
8g low diastatic malt powder
8g olive oil

22 hour RT bulk ferment, skins refrigerated for 19 hours.  I noted a very strong alcohol smell, just prior to sheeting.  The pizzas below are made up of 2 laminates.

Pic 1/1st pizza:   This skin skipped the refrigeration step.  Par baked for 3 minutes on pre-heated stone @ 550, dressed and finished on the stone for another 3 minutes.
Pic 2/2nd pizza:   Baked direct on the stone for 7 minutes @ 550. 
Pic 3/ 3rd pizza:  Par baked for 4 minutes on pre-heated stone @ 550, dressed and finished on the stone for another 10 minutes.

I'll post a more extensive write-up in my other thread.  In short, the dough flavor was excellent.  I might be inclined to raise the oil level slightly for added crisp.  Great suggestions Ryan!
Bob

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #425 on: October 26, 2017, 11:46:20 PM »
333meg picked me up today so we could meet Floridian, bobgraff, and Floridian's family at UA Tommy's. Turns out UA Tommy's had to close today because of a busted water line or something. So we all met at OSU Tommy's, just a couple miles east on the same street.

I had a great time. It was kind of like a party. I wish bobgraff had been able to stay longer, but I'm glad we were able to meet him and chat in the parking lot for more than a few minutes. I think it's awesome that we have formed this little crew of Tommy's freaks. Especially because we come from all over the place; although I think I am the only non-UA native.

333meg and I shared a large pepperoni pizza, which is our standard/usual. Really good pizza. I think I like OSU Tommy's better than UA Tommy's.

For all these years I thought OSU Tommy's baked directly on stone. I was wrong. Thanks to everyone but me (333meg, Floridian), we now know OSU Tommy's bakes on perforated pans (American Metalcraft perforated pans), in a deck oven. I had to try to see the perforation marks on the bottom of our pizza, but I definitely saw them.

Pictures were taken, but I don't have any of them. I'm sure they'll show up soon.
Ryan

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.

Offline RockyMountainPie

• Lifetime Member
  • Passionate about Pizza!
« Reply #426 on: October 28, 2017, 02:53:41 AM »
I have made Dom's pizza recipe, in fact it's what made me move forward with attempting Ryan's clone. I have to say Columbus, Ohio pizza is making it's mark!

Here's a little article on the history of pizza in Columbus in case anyone is interested:

https://cmhgourmand.com/2008/10/05/columbus-pizza-history-a-slice-by-slice-account/

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #427 on: October 28, 2017, 03:00:14 PM »
Gasp - a bad review of Tommy's!

https://thepizzasnob.net/2016/05/29/tommys-pizza-an-ugly-looking-slice-in-columbus-ohio/

FWIW - the slice he was served looked pretty pathetic.
Bob

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #428 on: October 29, 2017, 04:42:16 AM »
I stopped reading as soon as I got to the part that said "Chicago thin." No such thing.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 04:44:37 AM by Aimless Ryan »
Ryan

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #429 on: October 29, 2017, 10:28:47 AM »
333meg made this sign for me the other day, just before she headed back home. I don't care if it's off-topic. It's pretty cool, and it belongs here.

Ryan

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #430 on: November 02, 2017, 12:47:54 PM »
Found a video review of Iacono's with decent footage of how they cook their pizzas.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 12:49:35 PM by bobgraff »
Bob

Offline RockyMountainPie

• Lifetime Member
  • Passionate about Pizza!
« Reply #431 on: November 03, 2017, 03:33:20 AM »
Interesting how they bake the pizza right on the aluminum serving tray and then transfer them directly to the stone of the oven.

Meg -- the Iacono guy's bubble popper is almost as cool as yours!

Online bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #432 on: November 03, 2017, 08:14:08 AM »
Ryan, some may not understand, but it was great to see you standing outside in the cold with your sign!  :)  Good to see you back on two feet and motoring about.  It truly is a miracle.  Great progress from just a year or so ago.
All the best, Dave

Offline JAG

« Reply #433 on: November 03, 2017, 12:41:30 PM »

I may be seeing things but take a close look at the oven floor in the video, it appears to be sheets of perforated stainless instead of a stone, any thoughts?

That may also be what caused the perforation marks on the bottom of Ryan's pizza instead of an actual perforated pan. Don't know what difference that would make in the bake but maybe its another key point in the replication.

Interesting how they bake the pizza right on the aluminum serving tray and then transfer them directly to the stone of the oven.

Offline JAG

« Reply #434 on: November 03, 2017, 03:26:15 PM »
I should have prefaced my last post with, although Ryans pizza with the perf marks was from Tommy's, and since Iacono's is a spin off from Tommy's maybe they both used the same bake procedures and equipment

Offline 333meg

« Reply #435 on: November 03, 2017, 06:02:48 PM »

You actually remembered my bubble popper??? I am laughing so hard. I went ahead and just got it out to admire my fine handiwork. It's not everyday you see such craftsmanship, with the bent, non-food grade, wire coat hangers and all...Thank you!

And Bob- Thanks so much for your posts! I love analyzing both Tommy's and Iacono's.
Pursuing pizza has put me into an airplane, in a car and on road trips of hundreds of miles...

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #436 on: November 03, 2017, 07:49:43 PM »
Ryan, some may not understand, but it was great to see you standing outside in the cold with your sign!  :)  Good to see you back on two feet and motoring about.  It truly is a miracle.  Great progress from just a year or so ago.

I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but I wasn't standing. I was on my chair. I don't stand anymore. Anything showing me standing is from the past, when I was taking oxycodone. Oxycodone is the MIRACLE on my sign. Anyone who says it's anything other than that is just repeating what they heard on the news.
Ryan

Offline 333meg

« Reply #437 on: November 04, 2017, 05:51:45 PM »
Well as Floridian had mentioned in his thread, I purchased a large pep to go when we were all together at the OSU Tommy's, and the waitress offered it up parbaked. I had never taken it to go like that, so I said sure. I live almost 2 hrs away, so maybe the reheat at home would be different. When it was ready, she gave me printed out home baking instructions. It said to bake at 425', on a pan, for 15-20 minutes (see photo), which seemed crazy to me. I was still with Ryan at his place so we talked about it, and he said to trust my gut, which is what I should have done. My gut was saying to bake it like I bake Ryan's Tommy's clone, preheating the oven and stone for an hour at 500 degrees. What to do? I decided to follow Tommy's suggestions. Well it didn't go well at all. I took it out after 10 minutes because the top was overcooking and bottom was not only not crispy, it was completely raw, and there were no bubbles to pop, but I ate it all anyways of course. I will get another parbake to go in the future and go with my gut.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #438 on: November 06, 2017, 07:50:06 PM »
I thought I said I had no idea what you should do. I know how to reheat fully baked pizza and I know fairly well how to bake topped skins, but I don't do parbaking. Too much unnecessary complication. For what I'd call universally poorer results. Consequently, I claim zero knowledge in that area.

Also, the pizza you took home was much different from most pizzas involving parbaking because, as far as I know, parbaking generally is skin only, rather than complete pizza.

Based on your results, I don't see any point in offering partially baked pizzas. A fully baked pizza that has been sitting for a couple hours at room temperature never disappoints. Your Tommy's "take-n-bake" obviously did.
Ryan

Offline Earache

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #439 on: November 06, 2017, 08:39:34 PM »
I grew up in Upper Arlington and always liked Tommy's, but liked Rotolo's on West 5th Ave better. They had better cheese and sausage as well as other toppings.
Rotolo's quality slid a bit after the older family members that worked there retire. I don't think it's as good as it was back in the '70's and 80's.

Tommy's seems to be the same it was back in the day = always try to get some when I'm back in UA.

wordpress