A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Smoked mozzarella?  (Read 594 times)

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Smoked mozzarella?
« on: March 31, 2017, 07:29:35 PM »
Anybody using this in their cheese blend?

Offline StateofMind

Re: Smoked mozzarella?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 10:07:54 PM »
I have used it on lots of pies and cook with it in my restaurant. It can be very over powering and doesn't melt that well. Plan accordingly when you use it.

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 12:20:22 AM »
Ryan.....I've used smoked mozz on fennel sausage pizzas and really liked it. I got it at Trader Joe's. I usually use it at 30 to 40% of the total cheese. The balance being fresh or WMM. The TJ's brand has a very subtle hint of smoke. I usually cut it in chunks....maybe a 1/2 inch or so. The TJ's brand melts nicely.
Bob

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 12:51:20 AM »
Ryan,

I agree about it being pretty strong but, like Bobls, mine melts okay. I cut into the small chunks, the dot the pie with 1/2 inch pieces. For me, a little goes a long way

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 01:02:39 AM »
Thanks all! I made an American style started in a perforated pan then finished on stones stone yesterday that I really liked and want to mess with. I need a good cheese blend to set the pie off and was thinking of trying the smoked mozz. It always catches my eye in the store, but I've never tried it. I was thinking for American style maybe omit a hard cheese, and just use an interested shredded blend. I might try some more Asiago, but last time I tried it I wasn't that into it.

Offline stamina888

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 05:35:01 PM »
I think fresh mozz cheese that's mostly soft but has a seared stripe on it is really sexy.