A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Reverse Engineering L&B Spumoni Gardens' Square pie  (Read 100399 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Reverse Engineering L&B Spumoni Gardens' Square pie
« Reply #380 on: November 07, 2016, 08:30:02 PM »
I have made this recipe and found it to be an excellent pizza.  I have no idea if it is similar or not to L&B.  FWIW, here is the recipe:
https://www.kcet.org/food/weekend-recipe-thick-crust-sicilian-style-pizza
Mitch,

That is the recipe I converted to baker's percents at Reply 41 at:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=45359.msg454606#msg454606

Norma eventually tried the recipe but using General Mills self-rising flour and Caputo semola flour, and reported on her results starting at Reply 82 at:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=45359.msg455132#msg455132

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #381 on: November 07, 2016, 08:36:00 PM »
Mitch,

That is the recipe I converted to baker's percents at Reply 41 at:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=45359.msg454606#msg454606

Norma eventually tried the recipe but using General Mills self-rising flour and Caputo semola flour, and reported on her results starting at Reply 82 at:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=45359.msg455132#msg455132

Peter

Peter,

Of course I didn't use the right flour and also didn't use the right amount of semolina.  Maybe another member will try your baker percents version.

Norma

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #382 on: November 07, 2016, 08:37:36 PM »
Thanks Peter.  Here is a thread focussed on this recipe: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=42903.0

I reported my results within the thread (very happy with it!).  I posted several pics there.  Here are a couple:

Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #383 on: November 30, 2016, 10:02:15 PM »
While looking for something else about another pizzeria I found what an article said about L&B's pizzas.  It says the thick crust is pulled out of the oven just shy of being fully cooked through, so the bottom layer is slightly springy in the middle with lightly browned edges.

Maybe that is why I thought the one time I visited L&B Spumoni Gardens that there was a gum line.  I think it would be trickly to know exactly when to pull the pie out of the oven to achieve that slightly springy middle that is just shy of being fully cooked.

Look under photo #2 to see what is said.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/restaurants/photos/best-pizza-restaurants-new-york-city.html

Norma

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #384 on: December 07, 2016, 11:32:18 PM »
While looking for something else about another pizzeria I found what an article said about L&B's pizzas.  It says the thick crust is pulled out of the oven just shy of being fully cooked through, so the bottom layer is slightly springy in the middle with lightly browned edges.

Maybe that is why I thought the one time I visited L&B Spumoni Gardens that there was a gum line.  I think it would be trickly to know exactly when to pull the pie out of the oven to achieve that slightly springy middle that is just shy of being fully cooked.

Look under photo #2 to see what is said.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/restaurants/photos/best-pizza-restaurants-new-york-city.html

Norma

To continue on this thread, I believe L&B underbakes their innards while getting browning on the exteriors.   The crumb is undercooked basically.   This most likely has something to do with a 650 degree bake with stacked dough.  5lb of dough per sheet tray is alot.  Most likely a different flour than most NY pizzerias.  Also the round L&B pies tastes like bread, like bread, not pizza.  A history on siclian squares, they originated so I hear within selling hi gluten round pies, but made by the Sicilians cos they preferred it over the round ones that sold alot more than the square ones.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 11:36:00 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline nfeldbaum

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #385 on: December 19, 2016, 01:20:30 AM »
Hello,

Am new to this board, and am hoping to recreate the L&B pizza. Is there a post I should look at detailing the best-to-date imitation?

Thank you!

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #386 on: December 21, 2016, 05:42:17 PM »
To continue on this thread, I believe L&B underbakes their innards while getting browning on the exteriors.   The crumb is undercooked basically...

I had my first L&B experience today. The pies were likely influenced by the situation.  My office had several dozen pies delivered from Brooklyn to midtown Manhattan, arriving around 1130am.

It seemed like atleast 60% of the dough (more than the top half) was gummy.

Matt

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #387 on: December 21, 2016, 07:17:57 PM »
I had my first L&B experience today. The pies were likely influenced by the situation.  My office had several dozen pies delivered from Brooklyn to midtown Manhattan, arriving around 1130am.

A delivery from L&B and to midtown will probably take 45 minutes or more and they don't travel too well, but that first pic is pretty spot on. 

Question, what are you peeling there in the second pic?  is that dough or cheese?

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #388 on: December 21, 2016, 07:28:02 PM »
A delivery from L&B and to midtown will probably take 45 minutes or more and they don't travel too well, but that first pic is pretty spot on. 

Question, what are you peeling there in the second pic?  is that dough or cheese?

I'm peeling off the cheese to show the dough. The top part of the pic is cheese, the bottom is dough.
Matt

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #389 on: December 21, 2016, 10:57:56 PM »

Nasty looking!   :o
In grams we trust.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #390 on: December 22, 2016, 09:47:41 AM »
I take it you weren't blown away?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #391 on: December 22, 2016, 10:00:59 AM »

I wasn't, and my pizza there was pretty good.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #392 on: December 22, 2016, 09:53:23 PM »

Nope. Did have pretty good flavor, but the texture was rough.
Matt

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #393 on: January 14, 2017, 09:46:42 PM »
Another photo to show what looks like the crumb isn't baked very much.

Norma

Offline PapaLous

• I Love Pizza!
L&B Spumoni but not L&B Spumoni
« Reply #394 on: April 12, 2017, 02:49:00 PM »
Hey All,

I wonder if you could be so kind as to answer a question if possible? Does anyone know the name of the pizzeria described below?

Years ago (circa 2003) a friend took me to a "famous, been around for decades, 1/2 of the customers are mobsters, it's gotta be the NY water, everyone loves it" -type place that serves Sicilian- and NY-style pizza.

I would think that it had to be nearish to L&B, but maybe not. The things I remember, other than the pizza: 1) It was across the street from the water, 2) the parking lot was in front, between the building and the road, and 3) there were a number of homes nearby that were just garish beyond belief. Statues, lawn decorations, the whole works. It was enough that I expected to start seeing frescos on the exterior walls.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which place it may be? Or, if it still even exists?

Thanks, in advance!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:08:29 PM by PapaLous »

Offline PapaLous

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #395 on: April 14, 2017, 01:21:24 PM »
Well, after going through this entire thread, I have a sneaking suspicion that my memory is failing me, and that I ~was~ at L&B. I remembered enjoying it quite a bit, but beyond that, I couldn't comment on it here. Of course, if anyone thinks of another place, please mention it.

Is there a formula in this thread that gets the consensus as the closest clone? As I've said elsewhere, I don't want the best for the sake of being the most authentic, but I would rather tweak from the closest formula that works for the home kitchen. On a whim, I did order a Detroit-style, 10"x14" pan from that Detroit Pizza place (thanks for the link Norma!) so I'll be working in that, if just for the fun of it.

Thoughts anyone?

Thank you all for the hard work you've done in this, and other, threads. It is greatly appreciated!

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #396 on: April 28, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »
I know, in some pictures, L&B looks undercooked but every time I've had their slices/pie and it's been perfectly baked. It's also the style of pizza I have the most difficulty replicating.

For how dense and cake-like the crumb looks, I have no trouble putting away 3 or 4 slices. I have no idea how they keep the crumb structure so tight, yet easy to eat. I'm guessing the bake is probably relatively low and slow on a well proofed skin, keeping the oven spring minimal but airy from the proofing.

Another photo to show what looks like the crumb isn't baked very much.

Norma

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #397 on: April 28, 2017, 04:51:54 PM »
I know, in some pictures, L&B looks undercooked but every time I've had their slices/pie and it's been perfectly baked. It's also the style of pizza I have the most difficulty replicating.

For how dense and cake-like the crumb looks, I have no trouble putting away 3 or 4 slices. I have no idea how they keep the crumb structure so tight, yet easy to eat. I'm guessing the bake is probably relatively low and slow on a well proofed skin, keeping the oven spring minimal but airy from the proofing.

I'm fairly certain it's just a ton of fat (oil/lard, etc) plus a few other things.  We're talking fat upwards of 25%+ flour weight and why that texture is so.  It hasn't been replicated here probably because that seems like a grotesque amount of fat, but isn't within context of Italian bakery and dessert preparations where the L&B square originated.  (L&B wasn't a pizzeria when it originally opened). 

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 04:53:42 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #398 on: April 28, 2017, 08:16:04 PM »
It doesn't have to be high as 25% fat.  I've gotten very close to their texture with around 8-10% fat. 

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #399 on: April 28, 2017, 09:53:52 PM »
It doesn't have to be high as 25% fat.  I've gotten very close to their texture with around 8-10% fat.

My sicilian is around the 10% zone, but L&B goes the distance. 

wordpress