Author Topic: 10x8 steel pans for Detroit  (Read 2346 times)

Offline hotsawce

10x8 steel pans for Detroit
« on: September 12, 2015, 03:44:19 PM »
So I want to try my hand at Detroit and will be cooking in a deck oven. I think the pstk pana from Lloyd might burn on the deck of a commercial deck oven (which is what I want to cook in)

Does anyone know where I can find steel pans, though not necessarily blue steel, in a 8x10 size? I would probably bake around 525

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • Photos
Re: 10x8 steel pans for Detroit
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 04:21:22 PM »
I think this may be the same pan you referred to. https://www.detroitstylepizza.com/product-category/detroit-style-pizza-pans-2/

The Detroit Style Pizza Company uses them and bakes them in a deck oven without burning the bottoms.
Hans

Offline GlobalTJB

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 01:56:56 AM »
allied metal from Bronx,Ny has steel Detroit style pans but they are pricey.  i think they want close to $20 for an 8x10

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 03:29:54 PM »
Thanks, guys. Had no idea Allied Metal did the Detroit pans.

Does anyone here (Broadcasting to Norma) with a deck oven use the Lloyd pans?

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 10:27:37 PM »
Thanks, guys. Had no idea Allied Metal did the Detroit pans.

Does anyone here (Broadcasting to Norma) with a deck oven use the Lloyd pans?

hotsawce,

I never tried the Lloyd's pans.  There was a person that contacted me in a PM on my facebook page about the Allied Metal steel pans.  Seems he was going to be given deal for the 10"x8" steel pan and then someone higher up nixed it.  He sent me different emails and wanted me to call them to see if I could get a better deal.  I haven't had time to call them yet.

Norma

Offline lloydrep

• Vendor
  • Robert Johnson
    • LloydPans.com
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 04:30:32 PM »
I have watched Shawn Randazzo from Detroit Style Pizza Co. use LloydPans in a deck oven. You just need to find the right time and location for your oven as they do cook hot. Here is his blog post on this subject: https://www.detroitstylepizza.com/uncategorized/deck-oven-baking-tips-for-authentic-detroit-style-pizza/
I work at the LloydPans manufacturing plant. Questions are welcome concerning our products and their use. We also own pizzatools.com and sell the same products at both websites.

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 06:13:56 PM »
Not the exact size your looking for. I bought the big one and the 9 inch one. I like them a lot.
http://www.northernpizzaequipment.com/rectangular-pans-lids.html

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 12:41:01 AM »
I think those are a little thin for my application. I'm purchasing for a commercial application, so I need the to be durable and readily available.

I pulled the trigger on the Lloyds. I'm confident they'll hold up and I'm sure any baking issues I have in my home oven will be remedied in an actual deck oven.

Not the exact size your looking for. I bought the big one and the 9 inch one. I like them a lot.
http://www.northernpizzaequipment.com/rectangular-pans-lids.html

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 02:34:05 PM »
I think those are a little thin for my application. I'm purchasing for a commercial application, so I need the to be durable and readily available.

I pulled the trigger on the Lloyds. I'm confident they'll hold up and I'm sure any baking issues I have in my home oven will be remedied in an actual deck oven.

I use to have the pans from DSP. These ones from Northerner seem to be made heavier. Not sure on Lloyd pans but northerns ones seem build to last.

Offline lloydrep

• Vendor
  • Robert Johnson
    • LloydPans.com
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 01:32:39 PM »
While I have no experience with the aluminized steel pans from Northern Pizza Equipment, I can point out the differences from LloydPans. I do not see the weight of the aluminized version, but LloydPans are made from heavy weight 14 gage aluminum. The main difference in the 2 pans is that LloydPans do not need to be pre-seasoned. They have a permanent coating called PSTK that provides the right amount of release and lasts for many years in commercial pizzerias. They are easy to clean and maintain for a consistent bake.
While there are arguments both pro and con about seasoning pans and the traditions of Detroit Style Pizza, we offer a solution that allows you to taste the dough and your recipe without the influence of the seasoning possibly coming off or affecting the taste in your pie. Try tasting a bit of that seasoning as it breaks off and you will see what I mean.
I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 01:18:48 PM by lloydrep »
I work at the LloydPans manufacturing plant. Questions are welcome concerning our products and their use. We also own pizzatools.com and sell the same products at both websites.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 01:42:54 PM »
lloydrep,

To the extend you know the answer, please comment on how aluminium vs. steel plan affect the bake with respect to DS. I'm specifically curious a relates to bake time and browning of the cheese and bottom crust.

Thanks in advance.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline lloydrep

• Vendor
  • Robert Johnson
    • LloydPans.com
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 02:41:50 PM »
In general, aluminum is much more conductive than steel but aluminum pans are typically much thicker than steel pans (for structural and manufacturing reasons) and so, the heat transfer properties work out to be very similar. Deck ovens have 2 heat transfer methods that need to be pointed out. The bottom of the pan cooks by conduction because it sits directly on the deck. The sides and top cook by radiant heat (IR heat) and therefore the ability to absorb heat  will be based on whether the pan is dark or light.

For DS a dark pan will give better crust and color on the sides than a bright colored pan. In a deck oven, the only way to reduce or control the heat on the bottom of the pan is to add some air space or insulator of some type like a screen. This is a way to vary the top/sides to bottom heat ratio in a deck oven.
That said, I cannot be sure of the mentioned aluminized steel pans. This type of metal can not be anodized because the aluminum coating is extremely thin on the steel and would dissolve in the process, but the pan appears dark in the photo like a hard anodized aluminum pan. The two descriptions are conflicting so I can not comment on their pans. If a magnet sticks to these pans, they are steel.

Again, the real difference is that the pans from LloydPans do not need to be pre-seasoned.

I hope this helps.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 02:54:21 PM »
I have real, blue-steel, 8x10 DS pans, and I'm never happy with the level of browning. I want more than I'm getting. Even at 585F on a fully preheated 3/4" stone, I'd like more browning. I was wondering if aluminium would brown better, but your comments confirmed my suspicion that they probably would not. Thanks.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • Photos
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 05:59:34 PM »
Craig, FWIW, I use the Lloyd 8x10 aluminum PSTK pans and get excellent browning placing them on the oven rack @550F, with convection on for 11 minutes.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:13:03 PM by HBolte »
Hans

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 04:34:19 PM »
Craig,

I also get excellent browning with my Lloyd. Sometimes, too much  :angel:

Offline PizzaBinge

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 12:45:47 AM »
I've used steel & blue steel pans in a home oven and I currently use Lloyd's. With minimal time/temp adjustments I've been able to brown the bottoms nicely in all three types of pans, but what I can't get with the Lloyd pans is the same crispiness on the bottom that I use to get with steel. I use oil for the pan-fried effect and I'm cognizant of smoke points. I've tested using different times, temperatures, hydration, amounts of oil, etc.... The crispiness just can't be duplicated with the PSTK to the same degree as what steel pans can produce. That said, I don't foresee ever switching back to steel pans.

lloydrep, Lloyds was suppose to come out with a line of steel pans; do you know if that is still going to happen?

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 11:30:56 AM »
Check your heat source. If you bake on a steel or stone you should get a much crispier bottom. I was having trouble with crispness baking on the rack of a range oven. First bake on a stone in a different oven helped significantly

Offline jjd_87

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 12:37:50 PM »
Check your heat source. If you bake on a steel or stone you should get a much crispier bottom. I was having trouble with crispness baking on the rack of a range oven. First bake on a stone in a different oven helped significantly

So your saying you put your pan on a stone? Are you using a Lloyd pan or something different?
Jeremiah

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 02:22:38 PM »
Use a stone or steel I have about 5 Lloyd pans I've been testing with, including the welded and stamped Detroit pans.

So your saying you put your pan on a stone? Are you using a Lloyd pan or something different?

Offline lloydrep

• Vendor
  • Robert Johnson
    • LloydPans.com
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 01:12:49 PM »
PizzaBinge:

We did some tests making cold rolled steel pans. The material is difficult to get, really cheap, low quality metal compared to aluminum and our test customers had terrible results with sticking and seasoning. We will not be going down that road.

The hard anodized aluminum pans with PSTK coating have so many more benefits, especially for pizzerias that have to meet production times with quality products.

Online elephant man

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 05:43:35 PM »
I just made a few pizzas using the Stamped pans with the PTSK coating. They are the 9"x 14" pans with sloped sides. Convection oven, middle rack, 500 F measured with the gun, 10 min. bake. Almost perfect. I like to put a slight film of crisco on the bottom as it aids in dough placement, not sure if it aids browning. Pizzas look fine.

Dave