A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Craig's NY Square  (Read 41880 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Craig's NY Square
« Reply #320 on: June 26, 2020, 08:12:00 AM »
Looking good!
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline quixoteQ

• Give me Shackleton Every Time
« Reply #321 on: June 28, 2020, 10:25:38 AM »
Hey TXCraig, love these pizzas!  I'd like to make some of them this week with KABF.  How essential is the L-DMP?  I ordered some, but, you know, I want to eat these now and not when the delivery guy shows at my door.  So, no bromate, no L-DMP.  Are there any adjustments I could/should make?  Will a 4 hr RT ferment still work, or should I increase?

Thank you!
Josh

Offline erickso1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #322 on: June 28, 2020, 12:31:19 PM »
Hey TXCraig, love these pizzas!  I'd like to make some of them this week with KABF.  How essential is the L-DMP?  I ordered some, but, you know, I want to eat these now and not when the delivery guy shows at my door.  So, no bromate, no L-DMP.  Are there any adjustments I could/should make?  Will a 4 hr RT ferment still work, or should I increase?

Thank you!

Just a heads up.  I ordered LDMP from NY Bakers about 2 weeks ago.  When it showed up in the mail they had swapped in Giusto's All-Natural Barley Malt.  They told me that LDMP was sold out.  I've been using the DMP at about a 33% ratio to LDMP and it has been doing fine.  Point being, if they do the same swap for you, these ratios have been working for me. 

Offline quixoteQ

« Reply #323 on: June 28, 2020, 01:36:03 PM »
Just a heads up.  I ordered LDMP from NY Bakers about 2 weeks ago.  When it showed up in the mail they had swapped in Giusto's All-Natural Barley Malt.  They told me that LDMP was sold out.  I've been using the DMP at about a 33% ratio to LDMP and it has been doing fine.  Point being, if they do the same swap for you, these ratios have been working for me.

Thanks for the tip!  I actually have the King Arthur's diastatic malt, and wasn't sure I felt comfortable making the conversion.
Josh

Offline erickso1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #324 on: June 28, 2020, 01:54:29 PM »
Thanks for the tip!  I actually have the King Arthur's diastatic malt, and wasn't sure I felt comfortable making the conversion.

FWIW (and you may know this).  Mitchjg reached out to King Arthur a while back (https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34845.40) and they stated the lintner value of their DMP was 100.  The LDMP from Ny Baker is 20.  So if you wanted to use the DMP from KA, you would use 1/5 the % of LDMP from TxCraig1 recipe (2% LDMP I think, so .4% DMP KA). 

Again, if you already know all this, I apologize.  :) 

Offline quixoteQ

« Reply #325 on: June 28, 2020, 02:20:32 PM »
FWIW (and you may know this).  Mitchjg reached out to King Arthur a while back (https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34845.40) and they stated the lintner value of their DMP was 100.  The LDMP from Ny Baker is 20.  So if you wanted to use the DMP from KA, you would use 1/5 the % of LDMP from TxCraig1 recipe (2% LDMP I think, so .4% DMP KA). 

Again, if you already know all this, I apologize.  :)

I know very, very little about anything.  Thank you!  Very much appreciated.
Josh

Offline tennisman03110

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #326 on: September 13, 2020, 04:02:43 PM »
A report and some questions on my attempt at a Sicilian style, with Craig's 5 hour NY dough.

I used KASL, knead in a Kitchen Aid for 5 minutes. A 5 hour bulk ferment in the bowl, no re-balling. Spread onto a (fairly clean) Target brand aluminum cookie sheet, with a light oil spread . Took 15 minutes and a few rests, but I got the dough out. Total weight was 900 grams, 12x18 pan.

45 minute rise in pan, cooked for 10 minutes with light sauce. Then I added sliced Galbani mozzarella, more sauce, pepperoni and some fresh mozz, in that order. Needed about 10 minutes bake (at 475) and a few minutes broil.

Looked great in the pan, but was stuck. Middle was also not completely done. I managed to wrangle it out (created one hole and the top got mangled) and somehow got it back into the oven on the bottom rack, baked a few minutes for bottom crust.

All being said -- it was among the best pizzas I've ever made. Sauce was great (San Marzano crushed and a few spices), I've only ever used store brand tomatoes before this. Crust was flavorful, nice crunch. Just really good.

Questions:

1. How do I get the middle cooked? Is this a common issue? It wasn't raw, just slightly underdone.

2. I figure sticking issue just needs a better cooked middle, more oil, and maybe better seasoned pan. The pizza could have used more color. Any tips there?

3. Anyone tried this recipe/method with sourdough and/or some whole wheat?

Overall this was great, if not a bit sloppy due to the sticking. It's not a everyday pie (for me at least) but one I will work on. Thanks Craig and all!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #327 on: September 13, 2020, 06:18:40 PM »
wow!  I think the color, the crumb, and the whole thing look perfect to me... congrats to you AND Craig for a job well done.  to get the middle done just drop the temp 25 degrees, or just cook a little longer than you did at the normal temp without the broil.   Another possibility is longer on the first bake before cheese goes on.  Good luck.

Offline erickso1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #328 on: September 13, 2020, 06:57:06 PM »
Where at in the oven did you have the pan in relation to your heating element?  When I did my Craig version, I was running the oven at 550, no par bake on the bottom rack of my oven where my heating element is.  Sticking wise, I found that olive oil I would get a smidge of sticking in middle, likely from the process of stretching the dough to the edges and pulling oil along w/ it.  I never had the problem with crisco.  When I stuck I used a thin, flexible knife to get under it as best as I could.   

Offline Loarina Vega

• I Love Fried Dough Pizza
« Reply #329 on: September 13, 2020, 07:55:21 PM »
Hi Love this Thread ...My input is Drop The Temp  I pre heat my oven to 500゚ I also have  A regular tile about $6 unglazed travertine tile from lowes in my oven it gives it a good even cook for my half sheet Pan  Smeared shortening then I added some of my garlic infused Olive oil before proofing I spread it every 20 minutes than it actually got to size when it relaxed didn't shrink back after that This was a 48 hour CF.  GM Full Strength flour  There's a little
more info on the Tomato pie thread. 

Offline tennisman03110

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #330 on: September 13, 2020, 10:10:21 PM »
Where at in the oven did you have the pan in relation to your heating element?  When I did my Craig version, I was running the oven at 550, no par bake on the bottom rack of my oven where my heating element is.  Sticking wise, I found that olive oil I would get a smidge of sticking in middle, likely from the process of stretching the dough to the edges and pulling oil along w/ it.  I never had the problem with crisco.  When I stuck I used a thin, flexible knife to get under it as best as I could.

I had the rack second lowest from the bottom. Very bottom rack had a single cast iron pan. This was supposed to be for better best retention....but putting things together now in my hesd, was right under the middle of the pizza.

Maybe I was blocking heat? I don't have a stone or larger tile.

Edit: if it matters, I used sugar only in dough, no malt powder.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 11:20:15 PM by tennisman03110 »

Offline tennisman03110

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #331 on: September 21, 2020, 11:43:27 AM »
One day I'll start my own thread, maybe. But here is attempt #2. I took some of the advice, lowered the oven temperature to 450F, removed the cast iron pan from the oven. Crust and light sauce only for 10 minutes, and about 12 minutes more with toppings.

The dough, and baked crust, didn't rise as much. My apartment was colder, and I didn't let it rise in pan very long. The crust still stuck at the end, and was just slightly underdone in middle. It was a much crunchier bottom (used heavy ghee on pan) this time. Flavor overall was as good or better than the first, crust alone wasn't as light.

I've bought a 16" square steel, coming in the mail. I'm hoping to try this again, without par-bake, cook on the steel.

Does anyone have a guide or recommendations as far as how much, and in what order, they apply toppings? I used less cheese and more sauce here, but it gets a bit wet (I like saucy pizza).

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #332 on: September 21, 2020, 01:17:41 PM »
Nice!
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #333 on: September 21, 2020, 02:40:08 PM »
Your in a very good lane, well done!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline erickso1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #334 on: September 21, 2020, 02:52:04 PM »

Does anyone have a guide or recommendations as far as how much, and in what order, they apply toppings? I used less cheese and more sauce here, but it gets a bit wet (I like saucy pizza).

When I was making mine this summer I started out w/ sauce down first, cheese, toppings. Towards the end I switched to WMLM mozz down first, toppings, then fresh mozz if using.  Then I would usually put stripes of sauce and bake. Once I forgot the sauce and put it on post bake.  As far as quantities, umm, my wmlm was usually deli slice so I put down enough to cover, but it was probably 12 - 13 oz.  Normal topping quantities.  Then fresh mozz was a couple slices cubbed and distributed evenly.  As far as amount of sauce in the stripes, don't know, I would use a large spoon and spoon it on and make it look neat. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 02:56:52 PM by erickso1 »