A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Prince street NYC clone thead?  (Read 812 times)

Offline GumbaWill

• Many paths lead to the same destination
Prince street NYC clone thead?
« on: June 15, 2019, 03:44:52 PM »
Hello, friends.
 I feel so naked! I have no pizza dough left! I feel like a want to take a short vacation from N.Y. style and try my hand at a Sicilian pie. Do we have a thread on the topic of a Prince street pizza clone? Photo is one of my very first home made pies. Memories!

Offline CupnCharRoni

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Prince street NYC clone thead?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 11:49:30 AM »
I love prince st pizza.

What i can tell you is that they use a fra diavolo sauce and thick cut pepperoni. The pepperoni is a buffalo style cup and char pepperoni or pretty close. The thick cut part is important because the slices can be pretty thick. They put sliced cheese under the sauce with the pepperoni on top. They say its fresh mozzarella but the slice isn't really wet so i think any whole milk mozz will do.

But honestly, the dough is pretty unremarkable. It's cooked in an olive oil coated cast iron pan and they do let it do a second rise in the pan, and the crumb is pretty airy.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 01:44:30 PM »
I love prince st pizza.

What i can tell you is that they use a fra diavolo sauce and thick cut pepperoni. The pepperoni is a buffalo style cup and char pepperoni or pretty close. The thick cut part is important because the slices can be pretty thick. They put sliced cheese under the sauce with the pepperoni on top. They say its fresh mozzarella but the slice isn't really wet so i think any whole milk mozz will do.

But honestly, the dough is pretty unremarkable. It's cooked in an olive oil coated cast iron pan and they do let it do a second rise in the pan, and the crumb is pretty airy.

They use Hormel Rosa Grande pepperoni.
Hans

Offline john_k

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 02:31:29 PM »
This is a nice video about the pizza.

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 12:30:35 AM »
This is a nice video about the pizza.

That is a nice video. I have my doubts about those pans being cast iron or the pepperoni grease being olive oil. A cast iron pan that size is pretty dang heavy to be one handing it, loaded, at armís length. Great looking pizza though.
-Tony

Offline john_k

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 02:33:40 PM »
As a former Catholic <sacrilege alert>, when I hear about pepperoni grease actually being or becoming olive oil, I think of Transubstantiation of the Host.

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 05:24:17 PM »
As a former Catholic <sacrilege alert>, when I hear about pepperoni grease actually being or becoming olive oil, I think of Transubstantiation of the Host.
Ha ha ha...Iím a recovering one myself.
-Tony

Offline Jose L. Piedra

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 01:15:43 PM »

A more naturalistic explanation is that the "certain types of secret ingredients" his men add to the dough effectuate a chemical transformation of pepperoni grease into olive oil.

Offline Jose L. Piedra

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 01:17:22 PM »
In all seriousness though I'd be interested to know more about the "fra diavolo" sauce, in spite of the beyond-cringeworthy appellation. 

Offline MattyZ

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 03:58:44 PM »
In all seriousness though I'd be interested to know more about the "fra diavolo" sauce, in spite of the beyond-cringeworthy appellation.

Fra diovolo is just a cooked spicy tomato sauce, common with shrimp & pasta. Prince street adds minced fresh garlic, some herbs, and a good helping of chili flakes. Their sauce is a little sweet with a good zing to it, and it complements the pepperoni and fresh mozz really well.