A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Airy Sicilian style?  (Read 658 times)

Offline TheOGPorkchop

• I Love Pizza!
Airy Sicilian style?
« on: September 22, 2020, 03:15:15 PM »
Hey everyone, I am new to the pizza making game and I am trying to concoct the perfect game day Sicilian style pizza that doesn't feel like a brick in your stomach. I am by no means a professional and I have tried several different recipes and have yet to prefect this. I am looking for a very light airy yet crispy crust. If anyone is familiar with Quattro Goombas in Aldie VA, that is kind of the style I am going for. I have added a photo (hopefully it worked) of a similar crumb structure but this is not my photo. I have done some reading on higher hydration producing an airier crumb while also making sure not to use flour with high protein content.

I guess I am here looking for a gift from god of a recipe that might get me close, I'm just really fed up with trying all these different techniques and such and only ever getting thigh heavy dough. What do I need to do to get that light airy, crispy and crunchy deep dish Sicilian of my dreams?

Offline tennisman03110

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Airy Sicilian style?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 05:39:58 PM »
What does yours look like? I made my first Sicilian style using the 5 hour dough on this site, by Craig. It came out quite well.

You can see the forum about it. I also tell my procedure. I'm very much new to this style, but it worked great for me.

Offline TheOGPorkchop

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 05:50:10 PM »
What does yours look like? I made my first Sicilian style using the 5 hour dough on this site, by Craig. It came out quite well.

You can see the forum about it. I also tell my procedure. I'm very much new to this style, but it worked great for me.

For me its a very tight dense crumb I haven't any pictures unfortunately as I didn't think to take any the last time I made dough. When you made it did you find it to feel lighter than usual pizza dough?

Offline Cogs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 07:31:38 PM »
Google:

Eventbrite Tour Stop #8 - Sicilian with John Arena

See post #2062-2064 in below thread

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=53390.2060

I have no affiliation with any of the parties. All I can say is I watched the class, made the pie on three occasions and itís really light and crispy. Highly recommend but it is $25.

Offline Santaniello

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 04:20:49 PM »
Hey there,

I have been using a adaptation of a focaccia recipe I found on the perfect loaf. In my experience, a higher hydration will not give you the results I think youíre looking for. I think youíre best sticking with the recipe you have (youíre right about the flour as I would recommend regular AP), and trying to experiment with a couple percentage points lower in hydration. I.e. if youíre at 84%maybe try 80% and work your way up or down depending on what the crumb looks like.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Offline milkrate

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 08:22:37 PM »
I made this one last week that was really light and crisp. 75% hydration and I included some diastatic malt powder. It had a decent parbake (I remove from the pan after the parbake to a cooling rack, and re-oil the pan - my goal is for the dough to basically fry in the pan). It had a very long rise in the oven on a 100 degree proof setting.

I've heard of parbaking the crusts a day or two ahead of time and freezing them to further remove moisture.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 01:54:00 PM »
Please explain to me how freezing a par-baked crust removes moisture from it as opposed to allowing it to set out on a rack at room temperature?
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline milkrate

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 05:20:48 PM »
I've heard it mentioned a couple of times on Pizza City, the theory being that moisture is pulled out of the dough - freezer air is a lot less humid than the air in the kitchen:
https://pizzacityusa.com/podcasts/john-arena-from-metro-pizza-in-las-vegas/ - mentions putting parbakes in a freezer around 19 minutes
https://pizzacityusa.com/podcasts/mark-hopper-from-farmshop-marin-in-larkspur-ca/ - at about 20 minutes

wordpress