A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA  (Read 169449 times)

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA
« Reply #280 on: November 26, 2014, 02:57:37 PM »
Here was my Victory pig sort of. I went to heavy on the cheese and added some Mrs. Dash. Next time I wont stray from the recipe. I guess it was pretty much a Victory Pig/Detroit style.

Maybe my TF was to high. Not sure.

Very tasty though.

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #281 on: November 26, 2014, 03:31:02 PM »
The simple flavors of VP pizza (tomatoes, onions, salt, tangy white cheddar, fried crust) are the essence. That, coupled with the creamy mouth feel & crispy crust just take it over the top. Nothing wrong with variations on it. You'll still get the mouth feel & crispness. Just different flavors on top.
steel_baker  :chef:

Offline woodmakesitgood

• You gots to cook it strong!
« Reply #282 on: November 26, 2014, 10:29:37 PM »
Don't skimp on the oil.
I made a Victory Pig pizza today, and got the good browning on the bottom, but not crispy fried on the bottom, just the sides.

Before I added the dough I used a small amount of oil, while the recipe calls for a specific amount to be poured, what looks to be a liberal amount.
I will rectify this on the reheated slices! 
Charles

Offline Joe_C

« Reply #283 on: December 06, 2014, 09:39:37 PM »
My most recent effort. After weeks of coming close, by George I think we've got it.  I switched to non-stick Calphalon pans. They seem to conduct the heat much better at 460 degrees in my electric oven and I get a perfectly browned and crispy crust.  The pans are 12X17 and only about 1" deep, but they have a plastic lid that works great for covering the dough during rising.  No issue at all with oil overflow during baking and absolutely no sticking! I increased the ingredients by 20% because it seems the cooking area of these pans is larger than the 12X17 blue steel pans. On previous tries, while the dough had risen well, the crust seemed a bit thin.  Increasing the ingredients yielded a thicker slice, more like VP.  Ultimate compliment from wifey: "It's better than the Pig!"

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #284 on: December 06, 2014, 10:43:48 PM »
It looks great!  :drool:

Offline mkoss

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #285 on: December 25, 2014, 07:30:45 PM »
I by chance happened upon this forum a little while back. I'm originally from Northeastern PA and currently reside in the Boston area. My 1st contact with the VP pizza was many years ago. I have more recent experience with a knock off called Pizza Loven located in Hanover PA which is accessable to me with my daughters both going to Penn State. I have always had an obsession with this pizza since it is like no other and think there is a gold mine in opening a pizzaria selling it since all of the Cicolli family members and knock offs make for a good business. All do well. I approached one owner years ago about franchising it but was young and had no start up money. The owner of pizza Loven is to my knowledge the only non family member to learn the complete recipe and secret of making it. There's another called Sizzle pie in Kingston which is similar but lacks a little. I'm looking foward to giving this recipe a whirl. One secret they have kept is their source of Wisconsin cheddar. I found a place called hennings which I don't believe is it, that will export.. Without getting too long winded in this post,I want to point out a slight difference that  Pizza loven does use some mild seasoning in the sauce and rather than mixing chopped onions in the sauce they add as a topping once the pizza comes from the oven. I will often stop there when going through PA and pick up pizza to place in my deep freeze.

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #286 on: December 25, 2014, 08:02:18 PM »
As far as obtaining the Wisconsin White Cheddar, Genoa Foods (http://www.genoafoods.com/) is their purveyor and supplies the Wisconsin White Cheddar. You can use Vermont White Cheddar (available most grocery stores, Sam's Club, & Costco) for pretty much the same flavor.

Offline mkoss

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #287 on: December 25, 2014, 09:46:12 PM »
thanks for the info. 42 lbs is a little much to order if I'm reading their product list properly.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #288 on: December 25, 2014, 09:53:14 PM »
thanks for the info. 42 lbs is a little much to order if I'm reading their product list properly.
I believe Norma buys this cheese for her Detroit's at Market.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Joe_C

« Reply #289 on: December 25, 2014, 10:13:49 PM »
In my opinion once you get the crust perfected, you're home.  From that point, variations in cheese and tomatoes just make the difference between really good and great.  It's all good. 

If you're chasing after replicating Victory Pig, I think "brick cheese" is it.  It's a very mild tasting Vermont cheddar and I'm convinced it's what they use at VP.  I get it sliced not shredded and use a single layer, about 3/4 pound per tray.  It's perfect. 

Incidentally, after experimenting with various tomato brand names and varieties, I've settled on Cento brand crushed tomatoes.  This brand is chunkier and thicker than other brands I've tried and as close to VP as I've gotten.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 10:35:02 PM by Joe_C »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #290 on: December 25, 2014, 10:18:49 PM »
I believe Norma buys this cheese for her Detroit's at Market.

Bob,

I do purchase mild white cheddar in blocks of over 40 lbs., but it is not the same brand Victory Pig uses.

Norma

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #291 on: December 25, 2014, 11:09:27 PM »
In my opinion once you get the crust perfected, you're home.  From that point, variations in cheese and tomatoes just make the difference between really good and great.  It's all good. 

If you're chasing after replicating Victory Pig, I think "brick cheese" is it.  It's a very mild tasting Vermont cheddar and I'm convinced it's what they use at VP.  I get it sliced not shredded and use a single layer, about 3/4 pound per tray.  It's perfect. 

Incidentally, after experimenting with various tomato brand names and varieties, I've settled on Cento brand crushed tomatoes.  This brand is chunkier and thicker than other brands I've tried and as close to VP as I've gotten.

VP uses Contadina brand canned tomato products and if you check the list of products at Genoa Foods, Wisconsin White Cheddar is the very first cheese on their cheese list. That's what VP uses. They buy their cheese in 42lb blocks and slice it on the meat slicer and layer it on the tray.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 11:25:48 PM by steel_baker »

Offline mkoss

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #292 on: December 25, 2014, 11:31:55 PM »
most likely Pizza Loven uses the same. Thanks for all your efforts can't wait to give your recipe a try

Offline Joe_C

« Reply #293 on: December 25, 2014, 11:36:20 PM »
VP uses Contadina brand canned tomato products and if you check the list of products at Genoa Foods, Wisconsin White Cheddar is the very first cheese on their cheese list. That's what VP uses. They buy their cheese in 42lb blocks and slice it on the meat slicer and layer it on the tray.

Sounds right, Contadina is a very popular brand among Italian cooks in Northeast PA area.  Progresso is another.  If i can find it, gonna try the Contadina brand next bake.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #294 on: December 26, 2014, 08:57:11 AM »
I was curious about what brands of cheddar Genoa Wholesale Foods sells in the 42 lb. average blocks since I also purchase cheddar in big blocks.  I called Genoa Wholesale Foods this morning.  The man that talked to me asked if I sent an email about the same question.  I said I did not send an email.  The man told me that the Wisconsin cheddar they sell is from various producers of cheddar.  He said right now the Wisconsin cheddar is Nasonville.  I said I had tried Nasonville and wasn't too thrilled with it, but then I was told the block of cheddar I had purchased from Bova was older, from someone else by the date on the box.  I asked what the difference was from the Land O' Lakes cheddar in the blocks from the Nasonville cheddar.  He told me the Land O' Lakes has a higher butter fat content and they sell a lot more of the Land O' Lakes than the other cheddars.  I asked if he knew the butter fat content of the Land O' Lakes cheddar and he did not know that.   He told me right now the Nasonville cheddar is about 2.18 a lb., and the Land O' lakes is about 2.36 a lb, because of the higher butter fat content.  He also said the prices of both cheddars will be coming down very soon.  I asked if Genoa delivered to my area and he said no they only delivered in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area.  I said if I am ever in their area could I pick up a block of the Land O' Lakes cheddar to try. 

Norma

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #295 on: December 26, 2014, 09:04:46 AM »
Sounds right, Contadina is a very popular brand among Italian cooks in Northeast PA area.  Progresso is another.  If i can find it, gonna try the Contadina brand next bake.

Walmart sells Contadina brand canned tomato products. That's what I buy down here in SW Colorado. We're fairly remote down here so I was glad to be able to find it. Tried the other available brands here and the flavor is not even close to Contadina.

Offline mkoss

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #296 on: December 26, 2014, 10:15:41 AM »
Genoa Foods
261 S. River Street
Plains, PA, 18705
Phone: (570)-823-6142

Norma,

Since your in lancaster your easily within driving distance of plains,PA which is in Northeastern, PA to get a block. I wonder if they will sell smaller quantities.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #297 on: December 26, 2014, 04:56:54 PM »
Genoa Foods
261 S. River Street
Plains, PA, 18705
Phone: (570)-823-6142

Norma,

Since your in lancaster your easily within driving distance of plains,PA which is in Northeastern, PA to get a block. I wonder if they will sell smaller quantities.

Norma,

I am in easy driving distance to Genoa Foods, but that is over a two hour trip one way.  I far as I know distributors don't sell less quantities than 40 some lbs.  I know my distributor will only sell the big blocks and Bova is the same.  I was on a cheddar hunt for my pizzas for over 3 years.   :-D

Norma

Offline mkoss

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #298 on: December 26, 2014, 06:05:42 PM »
from ther cheese list it says land of lakes cheddar but doesnt say wisconsin cheddar which for the 2nd item is listed as wisconsin cheddar but no name brand which is confusing. Is the LOL a vermont cheddar I wonder?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #299 on: December 26, 2014, 10:30:19 PM »
from ther cheese list it says land of lakes cheddar but doesnt say wisconsin cheddar which for the 2nd item is listed as wisconsin cheddar but no name brand which is confusing. Is the LOL a vermont cheddar I wonder?

mkoss,

If I am reading Genoa Wholesale Foods cheeses right it looks to me like the LOL cheese might be Land O' Lakes white American cheese.  I can purchase the Land O' Lakes white American cheese in regular supermarkets in my area.  http://www.landolakes.com/product/48108/american-cheese

Maybe another member might have read the Genoa cheese list different than me.  I had looked many cheese lists from distributors and have been confused many times at how they label their cheeses.  If you were to go on the boardwalk thread you could see how many cheddars I tried.  Many distributors just say cheddar on their cheese lists, but don't really say what the brand is, or how sharp it might or might not be.  For the 40 some lb. blocks there are coding numbers on the cardboard boxes that lead to where the cheddar was produced. 

Norma